Does "Cool Uncle" have anything to do with it?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Part of what makes me a huge fan of BA is that he is the "cool uncle" and a player's coach... but at the same time part of me can't help but think it could be a weakness.

I know this is a question that can really never be answered, but the idea has been rattling around in my head a bit; so take walk through my dime store psychology for a moment.

The coaches that come to mind when you think of the greatest coaches at all levels are typically not the most liked people, especially by players. Sure, down the road many players will respect that coach and reflect fondly on them, but at the time not so much.

With the "cool" coach you can get away with cutting some corners. With the hard ass you're forced to be motivated, whether it by the goal at hand or fear.

One of things I see that has plagued this team since at least last season is consistency. I would include 2014 also but some would blame injuries on that. We would play good one game, bad another. Good one half, bad another. It was the exception as opposed to the rule that we would have 4 full quarters of just solid, not even top notch, play. We came out flat on a lot of games too but then in the second half could look like a team that was playing to win a ring that day. Despite all this we found a way to win a lot of games and overcome self-inflicted wounds.

When I watch the games each week I don't see this type of Jekyll and Hyde personality to this extent on other teams I follow. Whether they play good or not there is more consistency. We have seen what the Cards are capable of when they are firing on all cylinders - it is lights out on both sides of the ball. So it is not for a lack of talent... there is something more going on it seems. It can't be the in-game scheming since that doesn't account for energy, bad fundamentals, decision making, etc. For me it seems like the only other factors beyond in-game scheming are preparedness/practice and mindset.

If we go by the media statements they are having good practices. I can only take it at face value because I'm not there.

What's left is the mindset, and it is important. Mindset is the difference from showing up at the office ready to give your all to achieve your goal and/or greatness and going through the motions to collect a check.

I think to some extent that some of the great "human" qualities BA possesses aren't effecting the mindset and effort on the team. The ability to feel safe if you're under performing could be one of them. It also could be what the other players think when people who are not improving the team are retained instead of upgraded. It's not to say no one was traded or cut, but if you think about it almost the whole team and staff from last year is there this year and none of the ones who are gone are the ones who should be gone. While we won a bunch of games we couldn't string together quality play game after game... we couldn't get it done then. I don't want to beat all the same dead horses on why certain players and staff are still around, but there seems to be key decisions being made with the heart and not the head. Sometimes it feels l like he's been using the Cardinals to run the "Brucey's Kids" charity for some players.

There are just a lot of head scratchers. One I have been reluctant to voice up until now because I am a huge TM fan was his contract. From a business decision it just didn't seem smart to do a huge long term contract coming off his second acl. The risk/reward ratio was skewed.

I guess my point is maybe the team would be better served if BA had just a bit more of that cold calculating, analytical, CEO type of approach moving forward; at least if his goal is really to win a SB as a HC. If we want to go to that next level it might be time to turn the screws as well as try to separate more wheat from the chaff in the organization.

I don't know... like I said, just a thought rattling around in my head.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I do not know if that has anything to do with it, but Arians does not have the bravado he had last year. Honestly, I think he knows this team doesn't have what it takes this year.

Whether it is lack of motivation, leadership, passion, who knows ? There is something missing.

To be honest, a team looking to win the Superbowl matches the desperation the Bills played with yesterday, and the Cardinals did not do that. The Cardinals seemed like everyone else was waiting for someone else to make the play to turn the game around.

The best comparison I can see is that I am a Pittsburgh Penguins fan when hockey season rolls around. The roster ALWAYS has great talent, but there were a few years before they won the cup last season, that the Penguins just didn't have the motivation.

When the going gets tough, what does the team do ?

Right now? When the going gets tough for the Cardinals right now? They fold.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not know if that has anything to do with it, but Arians does not have the bravado he had last year. Honestly, I think he knows this team doesn't have what it takes this year.

Whether it is lack of motivation, leadership, passion, who knows ? There is something missing.

I'm wondering if it's the diverticulitis. He's lost weight..and is probably having to change his diet. Being carted off in an ambulance is a heck of a wake-up call on your health and lifestyle.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's the diverticulitis. He's lost weight..and is probably having to change his diet. Being carted off in an ambulance is a heck of a wake-up call on your health and lifestyle.
good point. we all kind of just forgot about it since he was back the next day, this could be very heavy on he and his families minds, though.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about that (or a slight variant).

BA alludes a lot to delegating a lot of authority to so-called "veteran leadership."

All well & good if you have effective veteran leaders. But I'm beginning to wonder whether the locker room is really that tight and not as unselfish as it's reputed to be. Has the cool uncle been a bit too trusting? Are our veterans too preoccupied with contracts, media events etc. and less inclined to give up their bodies in order to make plays?

I'm posing this as a question and hoping I'm wrong, but we sucked yesterday and I've got to ask.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Not saying I am correct in what I am about to say at all, but just the way the off-season has gone and how vulnerable Steve Keim left the team at some key spots and with such a lousy pre-season and start to this season and with 22 UFAs in contract years, I started wondering yesterday if SK&BA wouldn't mimd a down year so they can draft a QB. Right about now, many teams are feeling Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott envy.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
I wondered the opposite of the "cool uncle effect" - I'm wondering if calling guys out in the media and being deliberately blunt with everybody is starting to have the opposite effect - guys are just tuning it out...

Reign Blood

Tattooed Hundredaire
Reaction score
We lost by a field goal in week one and our first road game was at Barfallo where games can get out of hand either way. A west team traveling East is just as bad if not worse than vice versa. We are 1-2 and have two divisional games in a ten day stretch.

Only to add it was a weird week in the nfl let the Bills have their time in the sun for once. They can ball up and out showed us Sunday. You can point fingers all you want but it still remains that we will be one of the teams standing come playoff time.

Some of you seem spoiled by the 13-3 season last year and expect perfection.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lost by a field goal in week one and our first road game was at Barfallo where games can get out of hand either way. A west team traveling East is just as bad if not worse than vice versa. We are 1-2 and have two divisional games in a ten day stretch.

Only to add it was a weird week in the nfl let the Bills have their time in the sun for once. They can ball up and out showed us Sunday. You can point fingers all you want but it still remains that we will be one of the teams standing come playoff time.

Some of you seem spoiled by the 13-3 season last year and expect perfection.

I think some of us looked at a very cushy early season schedule that we needed to make hay of and already see us behind the 8-ball, with a super tough second half schedule.

The idea that we're looking for perfection because we're upset that we just got our asses kicked by a team that was in disarray after firing a coordinator doesn't hold water.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wondered the opposite of the "cool uncle effect" - I'm wondering if calling guys out in the media and being deliberately blunt with everybody is starting to have the opposite effect - guys are just tuning it out...
still, it has been this way since BA showed up and we won 10+ wins every season yet now it is a problem? Lets finish the season before we ask our coach to stop coaching the way he always has.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Part of what makes me a huge fan of BA is that he is the "cool uncle" and a player's coach... but at the same time part of me can't help but think it could be a weakness.

I know this is a question that can really never be answered, but the idea has been rattling around in my head a bit; so take walk through my dime store psychology for a moment.

The coaches that come to mind when you think of the greatest coaches at all levels are typically not the most liked people, especially by players. Sure, down the road many players will respect that coach and reflect fondly on them, but at the time not so much.

With the "cool" coach you can get away with cutting some corners. With the hard ass you're forced to be motivated, whether it by the goal at hand or fear.

One of things I see that has plagued this team since at least last season is consistency. I would include 2014 also but some would blame injuries on that. We would play good one game, bad another. Good one half, bad another. It was the exception as opposed to the rule that we would have 4 full quarters of just solid, not even top notch, play. We came out flat on a lot of games too but then in the second half could look like a team that was playing to win a ring that day. Despite all this we found a way to win a lot of games and overcome self-inflicted wounds.

When I watch the games each week I don't see this type of Jekyll and Hyde personality to this extent on other teams I follow. Whether they play good or not there is more consistency. We have seen what the Cards are capable of when they are firing on all cylinders - it is lights out on both sides of the ball. So it is not for a lack of talent... there is something more going on it seems. It can't be the in-game scheming since that doesn't account for energy, bad fundamentals, decision making, etc. For me it seems like the only other factors beyond in-game scheming are preparedness/practice and mindset.

If we go by the media statements they are having good practices. I can only take it at face value because I'm not there.

What's left is the mindset, and it is important. Mindset is the difference from showing up at the office ready to give your all to achieve your goal and/or greatness and going through the motions to collect a check.

I think to some extent that some of the great "human" qualities BA possesses aren't effecting the mindset and effort on the team. The ability to feel safe if you're under performing could be one of them. It also could be what the other players think when people who are not improving the team are retained instead of upgraded. It's not to say no one was traded or cut, but if you think about it almost the whole team and staff from last year is there this year and none of the ones who are gone are the ones who should be gone. While we won a bunch of games we couldn't string together quality play game after game... we couldn't get it done then. I don't want to beat all the same dead horses on why certain players and staff are still around, but there seems to be key decisions being made with the heart and not the head. Sometimes it feels l like he's been using the Cardinals to run the "Brucey's Kids" charity for some players.

There are just a lot of head scratchers. One I have been reluctant to voice up until now because I am a huge TM fan was his contract. From a business decision it just didn't seem smart to do a huge long term contract coming off his second acl. The risk/reward ratio was skewed.

I guess my point is maybe the team would be better served if BA had just a bit more of that cold calculating, analytical, CEO type of approach moving forward; at least if his goal is really to win a SB as a HC. If we want to go to that next level it might be time to turn the screws as well as try to separate more wheat from the chaff in the organization.

I don't know... like I said, just a thought rattling around in my head.

Disagree with a couple points, but agree with the majority of it. I think this team has been fairly consistent since BA arrived. We won 13 games last year, it doesn't matter how they were won. That's consistency.

I get that people think we run hot and cold during games and from game to game. But these games aren't played on spreadsheets. They're played against other teams, with professional coaches and NFL players--so if we go down one drive and score easily, you can rest assured adjustments are being made by the other team as fast as the digital technology will allow. The next drive maybe we only get a couple of first downs and punt, but that doesn't mean the team came out flat all of the sudden or stopped caring in the span of 10 minutes. Maybe a drive or two later we score again using different formations and motion due to adjustments we made. The NFL is about constant adjustments.

Which is why BA uses so many scripted plays. I'm not saying I agree with it, but BA may know more than me about football, so I get it. The majority of those aren't big-hitting plays or home runs, they're multiple formation sets to determine how the defense is going to play us formation-wise. How do they stack against our sets, how are they shifting, who is the Mike versus all our formations? From there, with that groundwork laid, you can then determine how to attack the defense.

As to your uncle hypothesis, I do think there's some truth there from a mindset standpoint. Everywhere he's gone, especially Pittsburgh, we've heard complaints that he's too close to personnel (especially QB's). Anyone here think he does the same with Palmer? When's the last time Palmer actually made a mistake? Hell, the dude had 4 INT's yesterday and all I learned today is that all our receiving backs and receivers suck except for Fitzgerald. I'm not singling Palmer out, BA is cozy with several dudes, coaches and players.

I think it becomes somewhat of a problem when you call some players nicknames in the media, for example, and let other players skate for much more egregious errors.

Our level of play the last 5 or 6 games, going back to last year, should be cause for reassessment, by everyone involved.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
still, it has been this way since BA showed up and we won 10+ wins every season yet now it is a problem? Lets finish the season before we ask our coach to stop coaching the way he always has.

Not asking anything; just wondering out loud like everyone else...

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Disagree with a couple points, but agree with the majority of it. I think this team has been fairly consistent since BA arrived. We won 13 games last year, it doesn't matter how they were won. That's consistency.

I get that people think we run hot and cold during games and from game to game. But these games aren't played on spreadsheets. They're played against other teams, with professional coaches and NFL players--so if we go down one drive and score easily, you can rest assured adjustments are being made by the other team as fast as the digital technology will allow. The next drive maybe we only get a couple of first downs and punt, but that doesn't mean the team came out flat all of the sudden or stopped caring in the span of 10 minutes. Maybe a drive or two later we score again using different formations and motion due to adjustments we made. The NFL is about constant adjustments.

Which is why BA uses so many scripted plays. I'm not saying I agree with it, but BA may know more than me about football, so I get it. The majority of those aren't big-hitting plays or home runs, they're multiple formation sets to determine how the defense is going to play us formation-wise. How do they stack against our sets, how are they shifting, who is the Mike versus all our formations? From there, with that groundwork laid, you can then determine how to attack the defense.

As to your uncle hypothesis, I do think there's some truth there from a mindset standpoint. Everywhere he's gone, especially Pittsburgh, we've heard complaints that he's too close to personnel (especially QB's). Anyone here think he does the same with Palmer? When's the last time Palmer actually made a mistake? Hell, the dude had 4 INT's yesterday and all I learned today is that all our receiving backs and receivers suck except for Fitzgerald. I'm not singling Palmer out, BA is cozy with several dudes, coaches and players.

I think it becomes somewhat of a problem when you call some players nicknames in the media, for example, and let other players skate for much more egregious errors.

Our level of play the last 5 or 6 games, going back to last year, should be cause for reassessment, by everyone involved.

I just look at play by play- AE went down last year and CJ took over and lead the NFL in Rushing! making our pass game excellent- the best 13-3 to the playoffs! we started with 5- 3 and outs yesterday - I think we had one run! It aint rocket science -play caller needs kicked in the nuts! I like BA but not his behavior! I know all gets tired of me harping - but it is the damned truth!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So I agree with the majority of this, outstanding post.

I would say that 100% of HC's/OC's script the first 15 to 30 plays for just the reasons you laid out.

I also think BA singles out players because of their performance and work ethic and not because he likes their smile or haircut.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man a couple of losses and all of the sudden BA is a bad coach, vertical offense doesnt work...relax people

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson