MCU: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Raimi In Talks to Direct ‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’

https://collider.com/sam-raimi-doctor-strange-2-director/

Sam Raimi, the mind behind the Evil Dead trilogy and the original live-action Spider-Man franchise, is in talks to director Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness for Marvel, according to Variety. Raimi would be stepping in for original director Scott Derrickson, who exited the project in January over “creative differences” with the studio. Benedict Cumberbatch is set to reprise the role of Sorcerer Supreme Stephen Strange, alongside Elizabeth Olsen‘s Scarlet Witch.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is set to hit theaters in May 2022.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Was that Patrick Stewart’s voice?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. There's a lot of spoilers out there and this trailer appears to confirm a LOT of it.

So much jangling of the keys.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes. There's a lot of spoilers out there and this trailer appears to confirm a LOT of it.

So much jangling of the keys.
I'm a little worried. This movie looks and sounds like it will be a big mess. I like Sam Raimi, so I'm holding out hope for it. It just looks like it is going to be packed full of stuff, least of all introducing the X-Men into the MCU. How are they going to get all of that together in a coherent 2 hours? Looks more like 5 hours of content to me.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm right there with you. I think they are trying to do too much. I imagine this is their first step in introducing the X-Men, but when they realized the success of Spider-Man they decided to go full on cameopalooza with extensive reshoots.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm a little worried. This movie looks and sounds like it will be a big mess. I like Sam Raimi, so I'm holding out hope for it. It just looks like it is going to be packed full of stuff, least of all introducing the X-Men into the MCU. How are they going to get all of that together in a coherent 2 hours? Looks more like 5 hours of content to me.

Yep. It's a major problem in a lot of Marvel properties right now, sacrificing the current story to get the multiverse involved.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. It's a major problem in a lot of Marvel properties right now, sacrificing the current story to get the multiverse involved.
I really have not seen that at all yet. So far IMO, Marvel has handled it well. Unlike the DC properties that use it as an afterthought and crutch, Marvel seems to have this planned out. It could happen with this film. I mean I agree with Chap that it looks absolutely crazy and a bit of a mess. However, that could be in a good way. I am anxious to see how this plays out. At least this below is encouraging....

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I really have not seen that at all yet. So far IMO, Marvel has handled it well. Unlike the DC properties that use it as an afterthought and crutch, Marvel seems to have this planned out. It could happen with this film. I mean I agree with Chap that it looks absolutely crazy and a bit of a mess. However, that could be in a good way. I am anxious to see how this plays out. At least this below is encouraging....

It's more a problem in the shows than movies, although the Eternals was awful. Let's just say that half the finale of Loki was mustache-twirling setup for the multiverse and didn't at all satisfy the (admittedly poor) ending of that show, as an example.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's more a problem in the shows than movies, although the Eternals was awful. Let's just say that half the finale of Loki was mustache-twirling setup for the multiverse and didn't at all satisfy the (admittedly poor) ending of that show, as an example.
Oh, I didn't see that as a problem really. Setup yes but not a problem. They really have not done much in terms of Multiverse until Spiderman which nailed it IMO. If they handle that the same? I am all in on the Multiverse stuff. DC has no plan at all. They just have all these disjointed properties and do things like Suicide Squad 2 and are like....yeah ....yeah.....it's multiverse.

Stout

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't see that as a problem really. Setup yes but not a problem. They really have not done much in terms of Multiverse until Spiderman which nailed it IMO. If they handle that the same? I am all in on the Multiverse stuff. DC has no plan at all. They just have all these disjointed properties and do things like Suicide Squad 2 and are like....yeah ....yeah.....it's multiverse.
I'll just leave it at we're going to massively disagree, which is cool. Although I massively AGREE with you about Spiderman :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just leave it at we're going to massively disagree, which is cool. Although I massively AGREE with you about Spiderman :)
Fair enough. I am hoping for a more cohesive multiverse approach from DC now with the Flash movie but they don't have a good track record.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the ending Loki ending with Immortus was well done and explains why all this stuff is going to pot now.

Stout

Reaction score
I thought the ending Loki ending with Immortus was well done and explains why all this stuff is going to pot now.
Yeah, when the bad guy sits there monologuing for fifteen minutes straight and I'm ready to fall asleep, I'm going to go ahead and say it's mustache-twirling setup. But, yeah, I am one of those that has found the Disney Marvel shows mostly garbage. Give me Wandavision and Hawkeye and I can do without the rest. Give me Jessica Jones and Punisher over any of them.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, when the bad guy sits there monologuing for fifteen minutes straight and I'm ready to fall asleep, I'm going to go ahead and say it's mustache-twirling setup. But, yeah, I am one of those that has found the Disney Marvel shows mostly garbage. Give me Wandavision and Hawkeye and I can do without the rest. Give me Jessica Jones and Punisher over any of them.

Honestly, I'm with you. The MCU shows were a disappointment to me and I thought they were largely to setup movies. The MCU has been good though in the movies about not having them be only setup for the big conclusion.

It sort of feels like that's a decision that Disney made for the D+ shows of their franchises. They did it a little with the MCU but they were worse with it on Star Wars outside of Mando S1. S2 was basically just to setup the 3 or 4 other series that they announced and Boba Fett was setting up Mando S3. I'm hoping that bring S3 back more towards how S1 was for story telling.

Stout

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm with you. The MCU shows were a disappointment to me and I thought they were largely to setup movies. The MCU has been good though in the movies about not having them be only setup for the big conclusion.

It sort of feels like that's a decision that Disney made for the D+ shows of their franchises. They did it a little with the MCU but they were worse with it on Star Wars outside of Mando S1. S2 was basically just to setup the 3 or 4 other series that they announced and Boba Fett was setting up Mando S3. I'm hoping that bring S3 back more towards how S1 was for story telling.
Oof, yeah, I heard Boba Fett 1-4 was basically not even the Boba Fett story. I'm glad I never bought into the Star Wars shows.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Netflix shows were far superior. The Disney shows make even Iron Fist look extraordinary.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's widely accepted that Favreau is trying to do another Marvel Endgame setup with DSW shows. Mando is Iron Man. That show spawns Ahsoka, Boba, Bo-Katan, RotR shows who bring in even more characters with it all against Thrawn/Thanos.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof, yeah, I heard Boba Fett 1-4 was basically not even the Boba Fett story. I'm glad I never bought into the Star Wars shows.
They were having serious relationship issues with Pedro Pascal and everyone's convinced BoBF was a way to keep production rolling on SOMETHING despite that. So bad.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expected runtime: 2 hours and 28 minutes.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Runtime Reportedly Revealed, and It Is LONG​

The rumors have been for the longest time this sets up the direction of the next phase of movies. Plus, we keep hearing of potential cameos that impact future movies. Not shocked here but I hope it's because of so much ground needing to be covered setting up future phase verses it being bloated.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since when is 2 hours 28 minutes considered upper-case LONG? Seems pretty normal for a superhero/epic action movie nowadays.
I thought that was a bit much, too. Especially when it will rank as only the 5th longest MCU film. It's not like it's The Batman or something.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since when is 2 hours 28 minutes considered upper-case LONG? Seems pretty normal for a superhero/epic action movie nowadays.

Seems normal to me and since this is supposed to be the movie that sets up everything I wouldn’t of been shocked if it was 3 hours

This is a very important movie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave