Dockett Deserved Better

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think loyalty should always be given. It's a part of character and you either have it or don't. It shouldn't be predicated on some future return.

To me it's no different than giving, whether to a charity or in some other way. Don't do it for the tax write-off or recognition. If you're a giving person you just are, it's part of your character.

That being said, one should never expect a corporation to have loyalty. Ever. They don't. Perhaps if you do well and increase their bottom line or productivity they'll show signs of loyalty (a bonus, or praise, or promotion) but it's fake loyalty. It's temporary.

True loyalty only comes from close family, the wife, great friends, maybe the dog.

Words to live by. I thought there was a mutual loyalty in my situation but was recently disappointed. Now that I feel the trust is broken, it is time reevaluate.

When good work is not appreciated, it is hard to accept other factors like lower pay, etc. I was surprised how my impulse to stick it to them sprung up after the issue arose. Who knew I could see DD's side? I didn't.

and "maybe the dog?"

Absolutely the dog!

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Words to live by. I thought there was a mutual loyalty in my situation but was recently disappointed. Now that I feel the trust is broken, it is time reevaluate.

When good work is not appreciated, it is hard to accept other factors like lower pay, etc. I was surprised how my impulse to stick it to them sprung up after the issue arose. Who knew I could see DD's side? I didn't.

and "maybe the dog?"

Absolutely the dog!

Re-evaluation is fair, but stay loyal man. Make it part of who you are. You'll never be disappointed. You'll get burned plenty because humans are generally selfish and kind of ******* but when you find the right person the rewards are greater than anything you've sacrificed, that's the truth man.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Re-evaluation is fair, but stay loyal man. Make it part of who you are. You'll never be disappointed. You'll get burned plenty because humans are generally selfish and kind of ******* but when you find the right person the rewards are greater than anything you've sacrificed, I promise, that's the truth man.

Thanks. I needed encouragement. Truly. It's been a rough week.

I appreciate the advice. Perspective was desperately needed.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In case I didn't make my thoughts clear---while I think Dockett is well worth the $2M gamble the 49ers made to see if he could return to form in 2015---had the Cardinals simply let him go with MB's/BA's/SK's thanks, stating that the team has a plan to use whatever cap space they can create in order to fill a variety of needs---that, imo, would have been the classy way to handle the situation.

Applying metrics to an 11 year veteran and one of the main leaders in the organization---3 time Pro Bowler---etc.---is not the way to handle this. Sure applying metrics to incoming FAs---fine, but not someone as loyal and high profiled as Dockett. Thus, if they were going to negotiate at all with Dockett it shouldn't have come down to a metrics type offer with absurdly unattainable incentives---that's an insult in this context.

What's totally inexcusable, imo, is that Michael Bidwill nor Steve Keim even talked to Dockett in recent weeks. That's one of the major reasons why I still maintain that Dockett deserved better.

I have said this before in previous contract dealings with their own veterans, it's like the Cardinals feel like they have to make a token offer to players they really don't want to keep anymore so that they can save face with fans who would blame the Cardinals for not trying.

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's totally inexcusable, imo, is that Michael Bidwill nor Steve Keim even talked to Dockett in recent weeks. That's one of the major reasons why I still maintain that Dockett deserved better.

To me this don't mean nothing.. He was talking about going to a divisional rival while still under contract two weeks ago.. The Cards FO let him to seek a deal before March 10th, before the other free agents hit the market.. Dockett, never mentioned that.. Did him a favor, and he turned around and talked smack..

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
To me this don't mean nothing.. He was talking about going to a divisional rival while still under contract two weeks ago.. The Cards FO let him to seek a deal before March 10th, before the other free agents hit the market.. Dockett, never mentioned that.. Did him a favor, and he turned around and talked smack..

Yep!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have said this before in previous contract dealings with their own veterans, it's like the Cardinals feel like they have to make a token offer to players they really don't want to keep anymore so that they can save face with fans who would blame the Cardinals for not trying.

The "token offer" was more than Kevin Williams signed for last season with Seattle; that doesnt include the incentives in Dockett's contract offer. By my calculation, that's fair market value. I'm not sure there was any face-saving being done (and none needed, anyway). The organization stated over and over again that it'd like to have Dockett back, but wasn't going to overpay.

After referencing the Adrian Wilson situation, it sounds like the team knows that it's doing. After surprisingly cutting him in 2013, how many downs of football has Wilson played? Wilson is so far done that he can't even get an invite to the free agent combine, yet, Vince Young can.

I understand--from an emotional standpoint, losing Dockett sucks, but realize that we're operating under an entirely different philosophy than in years past. The previous regime would've probably kept him for an absorbent amount of money, which would've impacted the salary cap; and if you read the tea leaves, it sounds as if the team wants to make an impact in free agency. Money that's going to be used to bring in younger, more athletic, talent.

Last edited:

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I think Dockett got exactly what he deserved. The market always sets the price. By definition he got got what he was worth. He got a good contract and gets to play for a team that has a legitimate chance to compete. I mean it's not like he went to the Jaguars.

$500k is A LOT of money. I don't care who you are. I certainly don't think anyone posting on this message board is in a position to realistically try to debate otherwise. Dockett found a team willing to pay more than the Cardinals were. Good for him. He did the smart thing. I don't think anyone did anything wrong here.

I guess you can choose to rip him or hate him and get upset about it if you want to. I think you are being a bit naive to attach so many emotions to what ultimately amounts to a basic business transaction.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think Dockett got exactly what he deserved. The market always sets the price. By definition he got got what he was worth. He got a good contract and gets to play for a team that has a legitimate chance to compete. I mean it's not like he went to the Jaguars.

$500k is A LOT of money. I don't care who you are. I certainly don't think anyone posting on this message board is in a position to realistically try to debate otherwise. Dockett found a team willing to pay more than the Cardinals were. Good for him. He did the smart thing. I don't think anyone did anything wrong here.

I guess you can choose to rip him or hate him and get upset about it if you want to. I think you are being a bit naive to attach so many emotions to what ultimately amounts to a basic business transaction.

The market was set last year for a 34-year-old DT by Seattle with Kevin Williams: 1 year, $2.1 million. Kevin also never sustained a serious knee injury and never had to miss an entire season. Why does Dockett deserve more than him?

San Francisco broke new ground by offering 2 years $7.5 million to Dockett. I don't blame Dockett for taking the offer, that's probably the best-case scenario for him. If it was desperate enough to pay 179% of his market value and add another year to the deal, San Francisco can have him.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt anyone hates him. If it weren't for his own mouth this wouldn't be an issue. It's not like the Cards organization was talking about loyalty and cut him. He talked about it. Constantly. Talked about taking less money to be loyal. Then he says there was "only" a 500k difference, his words. Then signed with our most hated rival. He signs with someone out of our division and this isn't an issue. But to sign with a rival, while spouting loyalty, and yeah, it's an issue. Hypocrite. And an ass. Period.

Dock didn't deserve better, the Cards did. After 10 years of paying him top dollar. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He kind of went to the Jaguars, just a couple years early.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

No hate toward Dock at all... I think he did get a good deal. I also think he got a good offer from the team that drafted him and paid him more than $50 million over a decade...
My biggest issue with him is that he went after Los for doing exactly what he just did... So no hate... I can never hate 9-0. I just think he's a hypocrite...

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
No hate toward Dock at all... I think he did get a good deal. I also think he got a good offer from the team that drafted him and paid him more than $50 million over a decade...
My biggest issue with him is that he went after Los for doing exactly what he just did... So no hate... I can never hate 9-0. I just think he's a hypocrite...

I think it was just a case of when you are talking about someone else's $$ it's easy to say what that person should or shouldn't do. Then when it's your money all of a sudden it's nobody's business but your own. Hypocritical, yes, but I would wager we have all been guilty of it at some point in our lives.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't agree the Dock deserved better

He got an offer that was pretty close to what he ultimately took-- which says the team didn't low ball him.

They were talking about this phenomenon on the Dan Patrick show- how so many long time NFL players don't finish their careers with the teams they are associated with. So this isn't a Cardinal thing-- it's a NFL thing.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get the " Deserved " aspect to all of this . The Bottom Line that I see here is that BASK Has transformed this team from losers , to Next Man UP . All I have seen from DD is Next Cry-Baby Up . He should fit right in with the Forty- WHINERS !!!!!

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I think the Cards got better and the Niners got worse. I never thought much of Dockett, that's no secret - He's a classless piece of work- good player not great. from the fake injury with Q to gain his first 3 year early contract Dockett wanted to be a Niner! He said so repeatedly, just couldn't pass on the money we gave him. At that time he said he wished Cards fans were like Niner Fans-I moved to Sacramento in Nov for a job, their are some good niner fans, but the classless Docket Types are front and center.

As a player he did not play up to Cards payment or live up to fans expectation, in my opinion. I evidence this on many things, but one still gnaws at me, 3 sacks in the SB against a top team! Great thing right? well why did he only have 4 that entire season? Or most seasons? Cause He is all about ME ME ME ME ME! I'll lay down in the road for CC, But DD had a dead battery that only played at his potential at contract time, 3 years early twice.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was just a case of when you are talking about someone else's $$ it's easy to say what that person should or shouldn't do. Then when it's your money all of a sudden it's nobody's business but your own. Hypocritical, yes, but I would wager we have all been guilty of it at some point in our lives.

+1.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce said all the right things in that article.

Steve

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think loyalty should always be given. It's a part of character and you either have it or don't. It shouldn't be predicated on some future return.

To me it's no different than giving, whether to a charity or in some other way. Don't do it for the tax write-off or recognition. If you're a giving person you just are, it's part of your character.

That being said, one should never expect a corporation to have loyalty. Ever. They don't. Perhaps if you do well and increase their bottom line or productivity they'll show signs of loyalty (a bonus, or praise, or promotion) but it's fake loyalty. It's temporary.

True loyalty only comes from close family, the wife, great friends, maybe the dog.

Agree 100% with this take!!

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I can tell you, the final offer the Cards made Dockett was ridiculously fair, with the potential to be a bigger year one than the 9ers.

And the fact he didn't take it, made me unhappy he left......but extremely happy with how the Cards handled it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson