Do you think Kyler is good at going through progressions and sees the field well?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He does fail to read progressions too often, but my bigger concern is the way he often stares down that primary receiver. The smarter safeties, like Adams, will eat him alive. Closely related, he still doesn’t look off safeties. It’s not surprising there are issues like these. He certainly wasn’t a polished QB when he arrived. In college he simply didn’t have to be. However, his ability to become elite will rest on his ability to become a more accomplished QB. Will he recognize the need for change and accept it? I have no doubt he can do it. He’s an elite runner now. If he can develop more advanced QB skills, he can become awesome.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He does fail to read progressions too often, but my bigger concern is the way he often stares down that primary receiver. The smarter safeties, like Adams, will eat him alive. Closely related, he still doesn’t look off safeties. It’s not surprising there are issues like these. He certainly wasn’t a polished QB when he arrived. In college he simply didn’t have to be. However, his ability to become elite will rest on his ability to become a more accomplished QB. Will he recognize the need for change and accept it? I have no doubt he can do it. He’s an elite runner now. If he can develop more advanced QB skills, he can become awesome.
This is where his lack of starts in college shows. There are just certain aspects of QBing that you only get through game reps, film review, and top coaching. This all said, he has consistently elevated his over the past year and it is tough to imagine him not working on this as well. This is where having Kliff as a HC will benefit Murray. We all know Kliff will dedicate the time working with his QB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

This is where his lack of starts in college shows. There are just certain aspects of QBing that you only get through game reps, film review, and top coaching. This all said, he has consistently elevated his over the past year and it is tough to imagine him not working on this as well. This is where having Kliff as a HC will benefit Murray. We all know Kliff will dedicate the time working with his QB.

In the Baldy's breakdows this week he speaks to how he is holding safeties with his eyes.

The TD to Nuk was a right read, and he crossed the field with his progression to find Nuk wide open.

In another clip he stares straight down the middle of the field at the safety before whipping his eyes right for an out route completion.

This is seriously being overblown. Does he have a chance to be even better? sure. All QB's could be better.

Is he not doing it or not good at it? Heck no man.

Our offense is 50 to 60% short or horizontal passing where the first read is the only read. This is not an issue right now folks. Timing and familiarity are his biggest opportunities right now. Not this.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kingsbury has been very Transparent when talking about Murray.

He tells it like it is in an eloquent way as compared to Arians. Kingsbury KNOWS what Kyler can be. I believe he knows how to get him there.

Kylers biggest challenge is to understand the little things he can do to make his job easier. I still don’t think he always locks on his primary receiver. As time passes and he gains experience he will eventually eliminate his primary receiver before the snap.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1

Good input.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Kingsbury has been very Transparent when talking about Murray.

He tells it like it is in an eloquent way as compared to Arians. Kingsbury KNOWS what Kyler can be. I believe he knows how to get him there.

Kylers biggest challenge is to understand the little things he can do to make his job easier. I still don’t think he always locks on his primary receiver. As time passes and he gains experience he will eventually eliminate his primary receiver before the snap.
They do seem to have a healthy relationship which is important. Kingsbury balances supporting him, holding him accountable, and pushing him very well from what I can see.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In the Baldy's breakdows this week he speaks to how he is holding safeties with his eyes.

The TD to Nuk was a right read, and he crossed the field with his progression to find Nuk wide open.

In another clip he stares straight down the middle of the field at the safety before whipping his eyes right for an out route completion.

This is seriously being overblown. Does he have a chance to be even better? sure. All QB's could be better.

Is he not doing it or not good at it? Heck no man.

Our offense is 50 to 60% short or horizontal passing where the first read is the only read. This is not an issue right now folks. Timing and familiarity are his biggest opportunities right now. Not this.
And this will likely be the evolved discussion on this board moving forward regarding Murray. It's less convo about him being a good QB and more about what he needs to do to become one of the best QBs.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TBF Mahomes said it wasnt until the 2nd half of his 2nd season that he really started to read defenses well.

Russell Wilson said it took until his 3rd year for him to truly get it.

Those guys had more college experience so its tough to gauge if that applies to him.

I will say I think the 49ers game influenced these first two games. Seemed like he was trying to go through progressions, but the line got whipped so much that he reverted to his natural instincts to help the team win.

I think lack of preseason plus facing those Dlines to start the season played a part.

Against the Lions I wouldnt be surprised if Kliff wants him to really work the pocket.

There are bigger plays downfield if Kyler is patient. Against the Lions I think he find those and hopefully gain greater confidence.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I’m certain the coaches are calling his attention to these issues. Of course you can pick out plays where he occasionally does it perfectly. However, look at the interception. He telegraphed the throw. He clearly has tons of talent. I’m merely pointing out he’s not a finished product. He’s got the potential to be even better than he is. If you want to win more games you look at what you can improve.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is still young and has a lot to learn.

Compare him to Warner and he's a long ways away.
Compare him to Warner lol. That’s real hard to do. There couldn’t be 2 more different styles. In his prime, Warner would struggle to beat my special needs son in a race. But, I understand where you’re coming from. Warner was great going through progressions. He also took some hits in the process. I don’t EVER want to see Murray holding onto the ball that long & taking the risk of getting annihilated in the process.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Compare him to Warner lol. That’s real hard to do. There couldn’t be 2 more different styles. In his prime, Warner would struggle to beat my special needs son in a race. But, I understand where you’re coming from. Warner was great going through progressions. He also took some hits in the process. I don’t EVER want to see Murray holding onto the ball that long & taking the risk of getting annihilated in the process.

The only aspect Warner has with Kyler removed from great accuracy is those two guys have some of the quickest releases I have ever seen on a QB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave