Do you think Arians was more at fault for the last few drafts than Keim?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by DVontel, Apr 30, 2019.

1. THESMEL

THESMEL Registered

Don’t know what the hell your trying to justify - Murray is the biggest no risket no biscuit in the history of sports - even the Rome gladiators or Aztecs that died by sacrifice when the lost the game

2. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

as an aside:

i would love to know the dynamics of the Mb / SK / BA relationship the last year or so

the fact that the Cards were looking for a coach, BA announced he was ready to coach again ....

and MB didnt call THE WINNINGEST HEAD COACH IN AZ CARDINAL HISTORY to even talk says soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

Cardiac and wit3card like this.
  3. Finito

Finito Registered

We offered TM more money than he signed for. TM gambled he thought he was going to get a huge contract on the open market and he didn’t.

wit3card likes this.
  4. CFLredzoned

CFLredzoned Smiles everyone, smiles!

That was really on full display for the 2016 draft. Remember the rhetoric in the local media? "They're so deep, nobody they draft is even going to make the team." I even remember Keim taking on that attitude in interviews. That draft had the feel of just being a throwaway right from the beginning. When the draft happened, I don't know if they tried to get too cute or who's fault it was. But it's weird how the results mirrored that attitude. That draft was a 100% throwaway that set them back big time.

The last two drafts with new first time NFL coaches, I think Keim went out of his way to make it an exercise on sticking to the board - and I guess building the board based on guys that have a more proven record of production.

5. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Bingo.

6. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Arians loved/s speed. If you look at all the reaches for the most part they ran very fast 40’s. He valued blue collar guys with speed. That’s not a totally flawed approach but you also have to factor in production and skills other than speed. A WR with 4.2 speed who can’t catch or a converted CB with sub 4.5 speed who can’t cover do your team no good.

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  7. DVontel

DVontel Registered

This got me thinking again.

Hell, just look at the Bucs’ 3rd round selection, Jamel Dean, Cornerback.

Guy was projected to go in the 6th-7th round best due to his inconsistency in college & 3 big knee injuries dating back to HS.

So where does he go? 3rd round of course.

You know who else that reminds me of?

Brandon Williams.

Son of RedRage, b8rtm8nn and daves like this.
  8. Veer

Veer Registered

Exactly. He ran a 4.30 in Indy. Very inconsistent tape, timed speed doesn't show on tape. Looked like a late round flyer at best to me. 3 major knee injuries already. Crazy pick in the 3rd. He is basically Brandon Williams with huge injury red flags.

Though with the other 3rd they had, the Bucs selected Kentucky CB/S Mike Edwards, who reminds me of Mathieu. Smart, instinctive, physical hybrid player. Bowles knows exactly how to use this type of player. Polar opposite of Jamel Dean.

9. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

I do agree that Arians had too much influence over personnel decisions. You have to know BA to understand that his over confidence is infectious. His early success with us gave him a gavel that Keim struggled to take away. For that, Keim can't be totally innocent though, as it was still his ultimate responsibility to build the team. If not for the trust of MB, Keim probably would have been fired. He has a second chance to fix things. Let's hope he learned a valuable lesson.

10. Veer

Veer Registered

I need to add that talented young GMs often get fired prematurely after some mistakes. A lot of them should have gotten more time to show that they have grown. I understand the NFL is mostly about winning now. Keim is among the few lucky GMs who got a 2nd chance thanks to his bond with Bidwill. Let's hope Keim has learned from past mistakes, because this would make him a much better GM than anybody we could've hired to replace him.

daves and PACardsFan like this.
  11. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

Wilks was a square peg in a round hole guy
    Didn’t care guys abilities..just do your job

12. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I think Keim's goals may have shifted, but I don't blame Arians necessarily. In the Arians years, we were looking at a strong roster with very few holes - we had very few positions open, and therefore taking a risk on a guy with amazing measurables was much more sensible than some guy with basic football fundamentals who was just going to end up being a backup. Not to mention, we had to focus on the few positions where a guy might see the field, since we didn't have the cap room to fill some of the holes we had.

In the past few years, we've been talentless, and now everything is a hole. That makes it easier to just take whoever fell to your spot.

daves likes this.
  13. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

i think this is spot on

this is also a habit with Mike B too

Denny Green took over personnel -- Graves took a back seat

after Denny was fired, Graves ran the show until Whis engineered the SB run. Then Whis had a much bigger voice in personnel

it wouldnt surprise me to learn that BA was listened to on draft / personnel more and more by Mike B

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    PACardsFan likes this.
  14. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

You mean like trading up 5 spots to take a QB then trade him away the very next draft? I'd call that a big time reach.

Solar7 and Stout like this.
  15. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Maybe Keim's drinking allowed Arians to seize drafting power.