Disney Plus (streaming service)

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Maybe I’m missing something. This will eventually be available to watch without paying $30 right?

2. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Right, but the argument is whether the $30 is a good deal or not. You say it is. We disagree.

3. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Did it say when it will drop?

4. Bada0Bing

Ok, gotcha. I wouldn't pay extra for it regardless of the price, so I guess it doesn't matter to me.

Chaplin likes this.
  5. Chaplin

I don’t recall seeing any dates.

6. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Yeah it seems like a throwback to the old VHS model where you'd have to spend a hundred bucks or so to buy a new movie during it's rental period. If the theaters are going the way of the dodo, I could see them trying to make something like this the new norm once Covid-19 becomes less impactful. Maybe they should bring in some greedy Hollywood lawyers and resurrect Richard Sharp so we could replay the 90's.

7. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

Sept. 4th. Just saw it when reading an article about Bill & Ted 3 being moved up to Aug. 28th from Sept. 1st to give them a week's separation. Bill & Ted 3 is also going VOD with a theater release. Have't found a VOD price on it yet to see how it compares to what Disney is doing with Mulan. Personally I think Disney is over charging for Mulan with it being $30 and tied to a D+ account. I wouldn't have maybe accepted $30 if it didn't require D+ but not with it. That's a bit academic though since I have no interest in it. I'm interest Bill & Ted though unless they go crazy with the pricing.

8. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Part of the theater experience is seeing the title sooner rather than later. This is why, I assume, they're charging this premium.

Is that fair? Sure, why not? They have a product, you either want it bad enough right now to pay or you don't. You can wait for a disc, stream, or don't watch it at all. Just like before, the premium experience costs more.

Now, is this "new" experience worth it to you, apparently not. I don't blame you one bit. It definitely isn't for me as I don't have a burning desire to watch this on opening day.

Do I like this model from here on out? No, not really. But they're going to see what the market will bear. The more people that abstain from the instant gratification the more likely that the prices will come down in forthcoming titles.

I am sure all these production companies are going to do whatever they can to try and recoup their substantial investments because they've been taking it in the shorts since early this year.

It's really that simple. Would it be a great perk of membership to give this to their subs? Hell yeah! Might even garner some new ones from the additional value. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes with this new model.

9. Chaplin

Small point: It’s not just about opening day. I don’t remember the last movie I saw on opening day.

10. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I use this service FAR less than expected and disappointed I bought the full year up front.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  11. Bada0Bing

We got it free because we have verizon. I watched hamilton and some other disney film. I also watched that star wars show. However, once the free trial is over I'll probably make my daughter pay for it if she wants it. Maybe I'll split the cost with her if she convinces me. If I remember right there are a lot of cool movies on there.

12. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I just moved to verizon so I will likely cancel my paid subscription and go to my 12 month trial but I doubt I will renew. I have a 6 year old but she prefers netflix and youtube and its rare we fire up disney.

13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

We’ve actually been using this quite a bit more than I thought we would. Finding some random movies that we didn’t expect there like “Magic Camp” that they whole family enjoyed. And so many historical movies great movies. And we all enjoy the shorts (makes for something good, quick and easy right before bedtime).

14. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

would Mom and Dad enjoy Magic Camp? We're getting The Americans'd out over here.

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Mom might. I think dad would fall asleep.