Dishonorable Mentions

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We're going to depart from the usual format that covers the weekend's memorable moments and take our cue from the Suns' Ring of Honor celebration.

As most know, that list grew by one Sunday when "Thunder" Dan Majerle became the latest to be enshrined at America West Arena.

His inclusion got us to thinking about who would compose the Suns' Ring of Shame, those players whose stay in the Valley was fraught with trouble and/or embarrassment.

Here's our list - go ahead, compare it with yours:

William Bedford: Appropriately nicknamed "Willie B Late," Bedford arrived as the sixth overall pick in the 1986 draft and quickly became known for oversleeping. He was shipped out of town after just one season.

Joe Barry Carroll: Signed as a free agent, Carroll was supposed to anchor the middle. His stay here lasted just 11 regular-season games, further ensuring the accuracy of his nickname, "Joe Barely Cares."

Richard Dumas: An electrifying forward who could jump to the rafters. He wound up in the NBA's substance abuse program not once, but twice.

Robert "Coach Ainge, here's a towel for your face" Horry.

Walter Davis, James Edwards, Grant Gondrezick and Jay Humphries: These four will forever be joined at the hip after they brought great ridicule and embarrassment to the league and the Suns with the mid-1980s drug scandal.

Jason Kidd: Sure, he could play point guard with the best of them, but hardly anyone who follows this team closely will ever forget hearing wife Joumana's own words on that 911 recording where she talks of the beatings she's taken from husband.

Clifford Robinson: A consummate team player who had one scrape with the law, a DUI bust that included marijuana being found in his car.

I would add Sam Cassell and Big O to this list

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Stephon Marbury, but if you are going to put Cliff Robinson on that list Marbury belongs there as well.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You forgot the worst former Sun of all,

Jerrod Mustaf--whose cousin conveniently murdered the woman pregnant with Jerrod's child.

and then there is Jayson Williams, drafted by the Suns but not signed, we all know the story there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Malcolm Mackey?

Or Randy freakin' Livingston--the man who singlehandedly destroyed our hopes for surviving past the 1st round in the past few years.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tim Kempton - he defrauded the Phoenix Suns out of an NBA paycheck for 2 years

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan
You forgot the worst former Sun of all,

Jerrod Mustaf--whose cousin conveniently murdered the woman pregnant with Jerrod's child.

and then there is Jayson Williams, drafted by the Suns but not signed, we all know the story there.

Jerrod Mustaf would probably be in the top 10 dishonorable mentions for all franchises in all sports. He is right up there with the likes of O.J. Simpson and Rae Carruth.

Joe Mama

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Jerrod Mustaf is a sad story. I remember when I was around 10, I was at the same hotel as the Suns, when they were at training camp up in Flagstaff. Most of the team was nice, and gave us autographs, but by far the nicest player was Mustaf. He took time out to talk to my brothers and I, and was actually an interesting guy to talk to, definitely making a huge impression on me. It was certainly a shame to find out he was just another thug.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I put Rick Robey on there, simply because his presence served as a constant reminder of the worst trade in our organizations history.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan

Maybe I should feel guilty for hoping that he gets the maximum sentence for that killing.

But I don't. :D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny High. Got drunk, ran into a freeway wall at high speed and died immediately.

Has anybody mentioned Joe Barry Carroll?