Discouraging Somers Article about the Offense

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
I'm not too worried yet. I'm not sure how someone can say a QB looks like he's afraid to fail in practice. I'm sure it's possible, I just can't see anyone being afraid of something in practice.

Anyway, his praise of Green in his doom and gloom article is good news. Not sure if it's something he needs to throw in to balance out the negative, but it's good to hear some good news, even if it is still too early to make any definitive calls.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We all need to be concerned about the complete reworking of the offensive line.

Especially since they weren't any great shakes last season even having had played 20 games together the season before.

But there are still 3 games and 24 days until the opener.

So we can only :koolaid:

Quote of the night: Green, when asked about standing out in last week's game and in camp: "I ain't trying to go home."

:cheers:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried yet. My take is for years we've all commented on how our WR's don't get "separation". As a unit they're not that fast, we don't have a Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson burner.

When Kurt took over there were multiple threads on here about how Kurt had to learn to trust the WR's, especially Fitz and Boldin. They weren't running free all the time like in his Ram heyday, but they were so good if he just gave them a chance, they'd make the play. Kurt eventually did figure this out and we saw some amazing plays where Kurt put the ball where only the WR had a chance to get it, and they did.

I suspect Matt is in that same process, but without Boldin, so he's still learning to trust. If you just wait for someone to be wide open, you're going to miss some chances in every game.

I still say Matt played pretty well in the opener, they had heat on him pretty consistently, but Matt for the most part made the right decisions and he clearly looked to have more velocity than when we last saw him. Remember this is a guy whose legend was built on having the guts to make that long throw against Notre Dame, to throw deep in the first series of his first NFL start(think it was KC). Matt didn't look at all scared against that vaunted Bears defense on MNF in the debacle game. But he has been sitting behind a HOF QB the last few years and he's got to get that swagger back.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
It is pre season!!!!!! How many preseason games did the Cards look good in during 2008 and 2009??? Not many in fact these same type articles were written about Warner and the O both years. Some how I think Whis has a method to his madness and those without his trained eye only see glimpses of what he is doing. Like yesterday Whis said he called off a TD pass that Matt threw even though it was good, just to piss Matt off to see how he reacted to it. And he said he liked what he saw.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why Brandon Keith, a guy who's never shown anything in the games, and has actually looked pretty awful in his few live game action in pre-season this year and year's past has displaced Jeremy Bridges, a guy who came in in a pinch and played pretty well on the line last year.

I mean, if Tim Hightower hasn't done anything to "lose" his job to a player who's obviously more talented who has shown it on the field, what did Bridges do to lose his spot to a completely unproven 7th rounder?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
It is pre season!!!!!! How many preseason games did the Cards look good in during 2008 and 2009???

Not many, and I agree that preseason shouldn't be used as an indicator if regular season success.

However...

I feel that the Cards have come out "flat" to begin both the '08 & '09 seasons...2-2 in the first 4 weeks for both seasons.

I hate the fact that it seems like the Cards (Whiz & Co., the players, or whomever) seem to use the first month of the regular season to work out kinks that should have been ironed out already during training camp.

Regardless of preseason success, or failure, I want to see the Cards to come out the gate strong this year...and knock some teeth in the first month of regular season play.

Just my two cents worth.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Meh. We read an article today that said we're looking great on offense. I'll withhold judgement, thanks.

Wow, how am I so damned positive? Sooo not me :D

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Pre-season really doesn't mean much. As my grandfather keeps telling me the Lions are 2-30 the past two years yet 7-1 in pre-season in those same two years. Wake me when the regular season starts.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why Brandon Keith, a guy who's never shown anything in the games, and has actually looked pretty awful in his few live game action in pre-season this year and year's past has displaced Jeremy Bridges, a guy who came in in a pinch and played pretty well on the line last year.

I mean, if Tim Hightower hasn't done anything to "lose" his job to a player who's obviously more talented who has shown it on the field, what did Bridges do to lose his spot to a completely unproven 7th rounder?

Bridges was so-so after his spectular Vikes game. His problem...his natural position is guard & not tackle. In my book Grimm & Wiz are making the right call right now.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We all need to be concerned about the complete reworking of the offensive line.

:cheers:

I've been there since the whole offseason. I still have my doubts about the left side: moving last seasons worst pass protector (Brown), putting him against most teams best pass rusher & playing him beside our now worst pass protector in Faneca. :bang::bang::bang:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm not worried yet. My take is for years we've all commented on how our WR's don't get "separation". As a unit they're not that fast, we don't have a Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson burner.

When Kurt took over there were multiple threads on here about how Kurt had to learn to trust the WR's, especially Fitz and Boldin. They weren't running free all the time like in his Ram heyday, but they were so good if he just gave them a chance, they'd make the play. Kurt eventually did figure this out and we saw some amazing plays where Kurt put the ball where only the WR had a chance to get it, and they did.

I suspect Matt is in that same process, but without Boldin, so he's still learning to trust. If you just wait for someone to be wide open, you're going to miss some chances in every game.

I still say Matt played pretty well in the opener, they had heat on him pretty consistently, but Matt for the most part made the right decisions and he clearly looked to have more velocity than when we last saw him. Remember this is a guy whose legend was built on having the guts to make that long throw against Notre Dame, to throw deep in the first series of his first NFL start(think it was KC). Matt didn't look at all scared against that vaunted Bears defense on MNF in the debacle game. But he has been sitting behind a HOF QB the last few years and he's got to get that swagger back.

I've said for some time that Whiz and Matt are an odd couple.

Whiz is just not the supportive type, he's fair and he's not a jerk but he's pretty much a typical pro coach who's exceedingly demanding and he should be.

Matt dosen't fit that too well personality wise but if he makes a few plays and wins a game or two I think that issue will subside a lot.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The line while looking bad did not look like a tragedy, it's just goofed because they are all shuffled around.

That's a far cry from being talentless, it just takes time to gel.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've said for some time that Whiz and Matt are an odd couple.

Whiz is just not the supportive type, he's fair and he's not a jerk but he's pretty much a typical pro coach who's exceedingly demanding and he should be.

Matt dosen't fit that too well personality wise but if he makes a few plays and wins a game or two I think that issue will subside a lot.

I think it's safe to say that Whiz and Pete Carroll are extremely opposite personalities.
I really can't believe that Matt can only perform well under a certain type of leader - I mean, it's not like Whiz is some sort of lunatic. From what I've seen, he seems to be able to relate very well with his players.
I would think any professional football player would not have such a problem with Whiz that his performance would somehow be adversly impacted because of Whiz.
Guess we'll soon see if Matt can only play for Petey... Man I hope that's not the case...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I wouldn't judge the offense too harshly on what they do in practice. Remember, they are going against the Cardinal defense who basically know the offensive playbook at this point.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges was so-so after his spectular Vikes game. His problem...his natural position is guard & not tackle. In my book Grimm & Wiz are making the right call right now.

Bridges' history, throughout his NFL career, is to look All Pro the first couple of starts, and then level off and struggle. I think the coaches have it right. Bridges is a great spot start guy, but not someone to hang your hat on for a full season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose