Did the Raiders game plan for the Cards?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by JosiahLee, Aug 19, 2019.

1. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

Sorry if this topic had already been addressed in a former thread, but did John Gruden actually game plan against the Cardinals instead of keeping things purely “vanilla”?

I’m just curious what everyone’s observation was. Despite the putrid performance by the Cardinals, I still can’t help but feel that Kliff is keeping things under wraps offensively...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Cards_Campos and Syracusecards like this.
  2. Syracusecards

Syracusecards DA's pass went that way

good question. I think he did and it makes sense. They have to play KC 2 times every year so they can use all the practice they can get against a similar player and system.

Garthshort and Cardsfaninlouky like this.
  3. TJ

TJ Suge White

Certainly, we’re not equating Kyler Murray to Patrick Mahomes and Kliff Kingsbury to Andy Reid, are we?

bojack and BigRedRage like this.
  4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

And our line

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. Jim Otis

Jim Otis Registered

Way to be observant JosiahLee , When Gruden called the second time out in the first quarter , I said to myself , Damn it looks like Gruden is game planing to win this game . Then why would they try to hide things from a Div, Op they played 2 times last season ? Did the blitzing on every down on defense catch the Cards off guard , Yep ! Me , I think we are going to be really good right out of the gate . I will be glad to discuss how we divy up the Crow after the Detroit Game ! If we fail I will be glad to Eat My Part , I have never felt this confident going into a season . Even with the injuries , and the PED's, I believe we are going to have a winning season . RISE UP RED SEA !

6. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

I don't believe that Gruden was trying or not trying to win the game. It seemed to me that he was more concerned to see how his (Paul Gunther's) blitz packages would work against a mostly passing offense. We're not KC, but for Gruden, you have to start somewhere.

7. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

Gunther is old school & definitely game planned for K1. Once K1 left the game, they ran a much more vanilla style D. Exactly why we ended up scoring 26 points. Gruden didn't care if they won, but they no doubt were practicing early on for Mahomes/Chiefs. K1 was MIFFED that the Cardinals didn't care to react to the Raider's approach. I loved seeing how pissed he was that he had to play with both hands tied behind his back. I only wish that we had the Raiders on our schedule this year. Even though it was preseason, K1 didn't take kindly to the exuberance of the Raiders D. The next time we play the Raiders in a real game, expect K1 to go off on them.

8. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

The Cards game planned as well. Every team, even in the preseason, game plans so they can work on certain things. As K9 mentioned in another thread, this is how they decide what plays they will run...by game planning.

So poor little Kyler got blitzed in the preseason by a team that wanted to actually use the game reps add an opportunity to, oh I don't know, improve themselves.

Regardless of all of this, Cardinals players were getting their asses kicked all over the field during that game and people are concerned if the Raiders were "game planning".

JosiahLee and Morty like this.
  9. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

Is anyone even making a big deal out of this? You are acting like a bunch of people are angry that Oakland would have the audacity to blitz so much. All I have seen is people making the observation that Oakland sure seemed to blitz a lot more than you would normally see in a preseason game and thus it appeared to catch the Cards with their pants down.

10. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I am happy they blitzed. I am happy Murray got to see what is in store for him so he can watch the tape and be ready. They did us a favor.

SunsTzu, b8rtm8nn, dscher and 10 others like this.
  11. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Two available strategies:

1. Hide your intentions.

2. Show your intentions to give future opponents something to worry about.

Either approach is valid.

12. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I believe the Raiders game planned for the Cardinals and Murray to make a statement.

Those blitz calls were there for a reason.

I wish the Cardinals played the Raiders again this season.

13. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Make sure you’re tuned into Hard Knocks tonight OP

14. splitsecond

splitsecond Registered

Gunther is an underachieving douchebag who has never had his defense ready to win a playoff game and moreover is “old school” and wanted to prove his worth. Gruden is on record complaint about snap claps dating back to his days at ESPN. They absolutely gameplanned and the “pretty boy football” is 110% Gruden. Lamarcus Joyner isn’t smart enough to come up with that.

15. FB94

FB94 Registered

Gruden wanted to make a statement against K1, hand clapping, and pretty boy ball. He is an egomaniac and the tone for his team was set the entire week before game day. “This style of football doesn’t belong in the NFL” was the bulletin board message.