Whose better on the streets right now?

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Send a message what is not acceptable is not acceptable.

You gotta look at the future. Nick Novak, Cairo Santos, Kai Forbath, #JoeFan etc. all get you 95% of same production as Dawson. And they are young may be one of them will pan out, If not what is the downside? Also, add a rookie kicker to practice squad.

Get the ball rolling!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Send a message what is not acceptable is not acceptable.

You gotta look at the future. Nick Novak, Cairo Santos, Kai Forbath, #JoeFan etc. all get you 95% of same production as Dawson. And they are young may be one of them will pan out, If not what is the downside? Also, add a rookie kicker to practice squad.

Get the ball rolling!

Nick Novak is 37...lol

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Seattle fan were probably having the same conversation about Janokowski before he hit the game winner?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, he is not getting cut this week.

In hindsight we never should have cut Catenzaro. He's not great, but he is better than dawson and a lot younger.

But that is what you get if you cut your kicker too quickly. Almost all of them go through bad streaks.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Should have went with the kid. He did better than Dawson in the preseason. Is he available or did some other team pick him up?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sure we can find lots of people who can go 0/2 with Kickoffs that rarely reach the end zone, who are cheaper.

And this should have been taken care of in the off-season after Dawson stunk last year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Definitely should sign Zane Gonzalez to the PS & see if he learns to handle the pressure! The kid was outstanding in college & deserves the look imo.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
All the Zane Gonzales love cracks me up. He was so bad he got dumped already. Be careful what you wish for when you say "it can't get any worse than player X" because it usually can.

Bill Barnwell wrote a great article a few years back about kickers. In baseball a player will go 2-25 over 6 games in a slump and we patiently wait for them to figure it out. Kickers may get 25 kicks all season, and we always want to fire them after 2 misses. They're sample size is tiny.

Please don't sign some loser off the street unless we feel he'll be better. Obviously Dawson didn't kick well last year and missed 2 yesterday. But you dont dump him to "send a message" until you have a backup plan. Otherwise your message is "I'm an idiot who makes irrational, emotional decisions." And for the record I want him gone but not until we find someone better. We all wanted Catanzaro gone during his slump. Now we'd welcome him back with open arms.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
All the Zane Gonzales love cracks me up. He was so bad he got dumped already. Be careful what you wish for when you say "it can't get any worse than player X" because it usually can.

Bill Barnwell wrote a great article a few years back about kickers. In baseball a player will go 2-25 over 6 games in a slump and we patiently wait for them to figure it out. Kickers may get 25 kicks all season, and we always want to fire them after 2 misses. They're sample size is tiny.

Please don't sign some loser off the street unless we feel he'll be better. Obviously Dawson didn't kick well last year and missed 2 yesterday. But you dont dump him to "send a message" until you have a backup plan. Otherwise your message is "I'm an idiot who makes irrational, emotional decisions." And for the record I want him gone but not until we find someone better. We all wanted Catanzaro gone during his slump. Now we'd welcome him back with open arms.

To be fair, if there is one thing current Cardinals fans know, is when the kicker is done.

We patiently waited for Rackers to get back on track, and did the same with Catanzaro. You want to watch the games lost by these guys go past 3 years ?

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To be fair, if there is one thing current Cardinals fans know, is when the kicker is done.

We patiently waited for Rackers to get back on track, and did the same with Catanzaro. You want to watch the games lost by these guys go past 3 years ?

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't

Sure it was the right thing to so with Cat man and Rackers.
What is the point of patiently waiting on 41 year old Dawson? In a lost season, don;t you start planning ahead?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I said in several posts, that we should have kept McCrane... Almost everyone here said, Dawson was a known commodity, and you can't trust a rookie kicker.

That rookie kicker had a game winning kick for the Raiders... and continues to kick the ball through the back of the endzone... Meanwhile Dawson is getting ready to shoot Blu Emu commercials with Mike Ditka and Johnny Bench.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Sure it was the right thing to so with Cat man and Rackers.
What is the point of patiently waiting on 41 year old Dawson? In a lost season, don;t you start planning ahead?
Planning ahead for what? Kickers aren't QB's, they don't need to be groomed or learn a playbook. If someone out there is better then go sign him and dump Dawson. If the new guy is the same or worse all you're doing is adding on dead salary based on a dumb emotional decision.

Dawson is currently a below average kicker. I don't care how old he is, history has shown this is a 2-3 year rental position 90% of the time in the NFL. Go find a better kicker and I'm on board, just don't get new for the sake of new.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Planning ahead for what? Kickers aren't QB's, they don't need to be groomed or learn a playbook. If someone out there is better then go sign him and dump Dawson. If the new guy is the same or worse all you're doing is adding on dead salary based on a dumb emotional decision.

Dawson is currently a below average kicker. I don't care how old he is, history has shown this is a 2-3 year rental position 90% of the time in the NFL. Go find a better kicker and I'm on board, just don't get new for the sake of new.

Again, what does a 0-4 team lose when they yank a non-performing kicker?

Why does anyone care about spending 0.5% of salary cap on a player to see if it will work or not.

There are no reps like game reps. So get a new guy in and hold his feet to the fire and see if he can handle it when it is clear Dawson is not your future.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave