Did Giannis's Block on Ayton Flip This Series?

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Might as well just scream at the top of your lungs I DONT KNOW WHAT IM WATCHING!!

wait hold on our 22 year old center just had 20/10/2 in the NBA finals all while guarding the 2x MVP on defense and guys are saying it’s “in his head” and he’s been “neutered”
Give me a list of 7 footers who can pick up Giannis at the top of the key. That list is pretty damn short.

forget the fact he had zero help on the boards and has to stay out of foul trouble because we have nobody who can give him a rest.

Ayton hasn’t been the reason we’ve lost the last 2.

95pro

Registered
Reaction score
It’s a combination of a lot of things.
1. Montys lack of game management. Poor timeout use. Poor substitutions. Not getting the team to settle back into their offense. Not pressuring the ball when Payne is in.

2. CP3. Just bogs down our offense. Is a defensive liability. I’m not sure why he finally tried to turn it up in the 4th

3. Lack of rebounding and protecting the run outs.

4. Team intensity. Book has shown up the the past two games.

5. Bridges defense and lack of physical strength. He’s getting screened way too easy.

Putting anything on Ayton and Booker at this point is wrong. They have been there for this team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple times last night he had Holiday on a switch tried a quick duckin didn't get the ball and then stepped out of the paint. Even Van Gundy finally said what is he doing, stay in the key they never call 3 seconds. You can't let them switch a guard onto you in the paint and not punish it.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Multiple times last night he had Holiday on a switch tried a quick duckin didn't get the ball and then stepped out of the paint. Even Van Gundy finally said what is he doing, stay in the key they never call 3 seconds. You can't let them switch a guard onto you in the paint and not punish it.

he’s taken himself out of great position all season on switches with smalls on him. He turned that around in the playoffs and was one of the main reasons we were so good before the Finals. But he reverted back to form the last four of five games.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
he’s taken himself out of great position all season on switches with smalls on him. He turned that around in the playoffs and was one of the main reasons we were so good before the Finals. But he reverted back to form the last four of five games.

Which is why there is no way I give him a Max contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Didn't SVG say they hadn't called an offensive 3 second all postseason? I have to imagine they'll call a few in game 6. That was really eyebrow raising. I don't blame SVG for saying it but I bet the NBA wasn't too happy about that being pointed out.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

that’s what he’s being asked to do to keep the lane open. We’ve even seen Booker and Paul wave him out.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen us bang him down in the post even when he’s red hot we go away from him and don’t feed him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
that’s what he’s being asked to do to keep the lane open. We’ve even seen Booker and Paul wave him out.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen us bang him down in the post even when he’s red hot we go away from him and don’t feed him.
I don’t know about this series, but that’s the opposite of what we’ve heard monty say. Monty has said he wants Ayton to take advantage of smaller defenders.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
I do know we are one of two teams in the NBA Finals. We are not a lottery team. Yes, the Bucks are winning the series, but it's not like we are such a horribly flawed team we need to scrap everything! There's a lot of teams that would want to be in our shoes. I think we need to temper the criticism of the team with the fact that we did win a LOT of games this regular and off season!

JCSunsfan

Reaction score
OH man. I haven't been on this site in two weeks. I am still recovering. Game 4 flipped this series. The failure to hold on in that game made all the difference. If the block flipped that game, then yes, to the thread questions.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH man. I haven't been on this site in two weeks. I am still recovering. Game 4 flipped this series. The failure to hold on in that game made all the difference. If the block flipped that game, then yes, to the thread questions.

we were already losing on that block. Even if we tied it up, I still have no confidence they pull that game out because they couldn’t get stops to save their lives at the end of that game.

we folded under the pressure, like young teams are likely to do in their first shot at the title. The crazy thing about our run in the playoffs this year is that outside of the Valley-Oop and that awful no one could hit a shot Game 4 against the Clippers, all of our other wins came going away so we weren’t exactly prepped for high pressure close games down to the wire like we had in the Finals. Hopefully, this season was the learning experience they needed to come back next year and finish close games.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Order of importance to losing game 4, and thus, the series:

1. The horrific TO Chris Paul had in the last 30 seconds.
2. The other horrific TO Chris Paul had in the last 4 minutes.
3. The 0 points Chris Paul got in the last 8:38 to 0:02. (Only took 1 shot, remember when he was clutch in the 4th 3 games ago? Wonder what changed?).
4. The awful inbounds play from Jae to DA leading to GA stealing and getting a dunk.
5. GA's amazing block
* It also doesn't help that the Bucks got 10 more FTs than the Suns AND Booker mysteriously gets into foul trouble on a night where he was unstoppable.

We almost won that game in spite of Chris Paul playing injured. But when you rely on a guy ALL YEAR to close games and he can't anymore, you lose.

95pro

Registered
Reaction score
If anything that lob was off from booker to ayton.

Seems like ayton never recovered from the game 3 fouls as well. Game 4, 5 and 6 he just looked befuddled on some of the calls, and i agree those calls were soft.

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If anything that lob was off from booker to ayton.

Seems like ayton never recovered from the game 3 fouls as well. Game 4, 5 and 6 he just looked befuddled on some of the calls, and i agree those calls were soft.

game 4 he had 17 rebounds and in game 5 he had 20/10 all while guarding Giannis on defense. Ayton wasn’t the problem in those losses if we get anything at all from Paul we win those games

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
game 4 he had 17 rebounds and in game 5 he had 20/10 all while guarding Giannis on defense. Ayton wasn’t the problem in those losses if we get anything at all from Paul we win those games

Nah. He had SIX points in Game 4. He played on one side of the court. He’s a guy you’re advocating deserves the MAX. Well, if you’re a MAX player, you need not to be a complete nonfactor on 50% of the game. If we get ANYTHING at all from him offensively, we win. His lack of offense wasn’t the main reason we lost (CP3 sucking was) but it was a reason. He’s not blameless because he got a lot of rebounds.

also, his atrocious play in Game 6 on every end of the court was a major factor losing that game. Same with Booker. That game was there for the taking and the only player who showed up was CP3. That was a close game the entire time. Just ONE of Ayton or Booker playing even AVERAGE would have gotten us over the hump. Instead both played like total crap in a game where we needed them most.