Did Giannis's Block on Ayton Flip This Series?

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Ayton's post season numbers have plummeted since the start of the NBA finals.
I believe Giannis's block on Ayton and the following two days of media hyping
this block might have damaged Ayton's confidence going forward as he appears
timid against even the smallest Milwaukee player defending him.

Phoenix is getting crushed vs. points in the paint this series. Are they related
to Ayton's play these last 3 games? I definitely believe so. Thoughts?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Phoenix is getting crushed vs. points in the paint this series. Are they related
The block has nothing to do with it.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, it wasn't the block. The Bucks already had all the momentum in the game at that point.

That game turned, and the series turned, when PJ Tucker kicked the ball out of bounds and they called it out on Booker.

Booker lost control of his emotions and committed a frustration foul on the other end.

That took him out of the game, a game we lead from nearly beginning to end, and allowed the Bucks to come back. We should have been up 3-1.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It wasn't that Giannis block. It was the Holiday block that seemed to neuter him. I think that was game 3? Ayton had a clear path to the basket about 12 feet out, Jrue came in and faced up with Ayton attacking the basket and just stuffed it. I think they ended up calling a jump ball afterwards. That was ugly. A guy who is 8-9 inches smaller than him just packing Ayton's lunch.

Edit, I think it was game 2. It was in Phoenix. Here's the clip....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton's numbers have plumetted because on defense he is tasked with stopping the most dominant interior scorer in the NBA - and that takes a lot of energy, and often gets you taken out of rebounding position.

On offense they have plumetted because Chris Paul is physically unable to get him the same looks he normally gets him.

dscher

Registered
Reaction score
Booker turning into a one man show is the difference in this series.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton's numbers have plumetted because on defense he is tasked with stopping the most dominant interior scorer in the NBA - and that takes a lot of energy, and often gets you taken out of rebounding position.

On offense they have plumetted because Chris Paul is physically unable to get him the same looks he normally gets him.

Ayton shying away from contact on both ends, particularly on box-outs and screens, isn't helping. Neither is Chris Paul basically having one arm dangling dead at his side...

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Booker turning into a one man show is the difference in this series.

On offense, yes, but tonight's primary failures were on defense, in part because Paul physically couldn't defend, in part because Ayton and Crowder physically wouldn't defend, and in part because Monty kept the team's best two defenders, Bridges and Craig, on the bench way too much.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ayton shying away from contact on both ends, particularly on box-outs and screens, isn't helping. Neither is Chris Paul basically having one arm dangling dead at his side...
CP looked good down the stretch other than the foul. His intent was to get Giannis to shoot two FT’s but it was a bad foul.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CP looked good down the stretch other than the foul. His intent was to get Giannis to shoot two FT’s but it was a bad foul.

He summoned up what strength he could to try to bring the team back. But he still couldn't defend. The range of motion in that arm/hand were severely limited all game. It's a huge reason Jrue Holiday was able to go off offensively.

dscher

Registered
Reaction score
Mikal has been a nightmare on the defensive end so far this series... imo. Craig has the size and toughness to battle. Bridges has been far too inconsistent. Like Ayton. One weak link in the chain, even on the defensive end, is enough to shatter it all. This is what our defense feels like at the moment.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mikal has been a nightmare on the defensive end so far this series... imo. Craig has the size and toughness to battle. Bridges has been far too inconsistent. Like Ayton. One weak link in the chain, even on the defensive end, is enough to shatter it all. This is what our defense feels like at the moment.

Bridges was actually playing excellent defense in the first quarter in Game 5. And then Monty inexplicably benched him for pretty much the entire second quarter.