Did Bidwill say...

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe I heard him wrong, but did Bidwill say that they were given permission to interview Reid? If so, why would they need to seek permission to talk to a fired coach? Did they reach out to him before he was fired?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did say that. Thought it was weird. Either he misspoke, or they did reach out to him prior to his firing.

"You want to talk to Andy? LOL. GO FOR IT!"

*ticker* Reid fired *ticker*

:D

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, he said Reid. He may have misstated, but that's what he said.

Gotta admit, I perked up when I heard that. Would love to have Reid run the ship.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reid isn't going to come to a team where Mike Bidwill is the de facto GM... which he basically is in thinking he can hire the HC without a GM.

Anyone named Bidwill making any kind of football decisions makes no sense. People here bash Jerry Jones/Daniel Snyder all the time because they have their hand in the cookie jar and like to play GM... but when Bidwill does it, it's somehow okay?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinal site's video clip of the presser no worky.

Could someone please provide a summary?

Regarding Reid, one of the two main sports media sources reports that Reid wiil be interviewed by the Cards (Also under consideration: Horton, Haley, McCoy).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haley was NOT mentioned by Bidwill. Only by the media, because they have a hardon for him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Haley was NOT mentioned by Bidwill. Only by the media, because they have a hardon for him.

XTRA 910 said that Keim and Haley met very recently when Keim was scouting.. and the only offensive coach that was retained in the only one that Haley tried to take with him when he moved from the Cards to KC. Maybe much ado about nothing, but maybe Haley wasn't mentioned for a reason (or maybe they haven't received permission yet - assuming Haley signed more than a one year contract w/ PIT).

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Reid isn't going to come to a team where Mike Bidwill is the de facto GM... which he basically is in thinking he can hire the HC without a GM.

Anyone named Bidwill making any kind of football decisions makes no sense. People here bash Jerry Jones/Daniel Snyder all the time because they have their hand in the cookie jar and like to play GM... but when Bidwill does it, it's somehow okay?

Exactly right. While either or both Bidwills are de-facto GM the situation is hopeless. It doesn't matter what else happens.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
XTRA 910 said that Keim and Haley met very recently when Keim was scouting.. and the only offensive coach that was retained in the only one that Haley tried to take with him when he moved from the Cards to KC. Maybe much ado about nothing, but maybe Haley wasn't mentioned for a reason (or maybe they haven't received permission yet - assuming Haley signed more than a one year contract w/ PIT).

Or bick and juwreck simply have a massive hardon for Haley. That's my vote.

Personally, I think the guy would be a disaster unless he turned the ***** dial down to 9 instead of 11.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

Agreed. The GM needs to come first. I didn't like that part of his presser much.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Disagree.

There are only so many jobs available in the NFL. For all the tough talk by the media (not usually the candidates themselves) about a certain coach not going somewhere because he wasn't given enough power, the likes of Snyder and Jones sure do manage to attract a heck of a lot big names.

The Cardinals will be alright under Mike Bidwill.

Gotta believe that, it's all we got. It's all we as Cards fan will ever have, in my lifetime anyway.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm hoping that Michael has decided that the HC & "GM" never disagreeing doesn't work. MB will pick who he likes best as HC and then at GM with the GM having the power on all personnel decisions.

At least this is better than MB having his hand in the cookie jar. I would prefer that he hires and GM and then sits in a corner and takes notes.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinal site's video clip of the presser no worky.

Could someone please provide a summary?

"Thank you for coming. Thank you to the people watching on line." (At this point I said, "You're welcome" to my computer.) "Whiz and Graves are out but I'm not going to say the names of all the other people I sacked today. I want the game to be fun again because I really liked going to the Super Bowl and I'm kind of ticked that people aren't slapping me on the back any more even though we all know that was Kurt more than anyone." (OK That's my editorial but he did mention "fun"). "We're going to interview people but we can't now because it's a holiday. Kolb will be around next year. I'm going to interview people but we can't because it's a holiday. I'll take a few questions because I know none of your guys are going to ask me anything tough. Yes I'm going to interview for the HC position." (At this point my computer audio went out so if he mentioned Reid I didn't hear it.) "OK I'll take one more question because I'm getting the high sign from my assistant that I may say something worthwhile. But I'm not going to give an in-depth answer for my final answer because it's obvious I don't really know who I'm going to hire."

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Michael has decided that the HC & "GM" never disagreeing doesn't work. MB will pick who he likes best as HC and then at GM with the GM having the power on all personnel decisions.

At least this is better than MB having his hand in the cookie jar. I would prefer that he hires and GM and then sits in a corner and takes notes.

Not gonna happen. It's MB's money at stake. I'll guarantee you he has a hand it, just like the 31 other NFL owners do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree.

There are only so many jobs available in the NFL. For all the tough talk by the media (not usually the candidates themselves) about a certain coach not going somewhere because he wasn't given enough power, the likes of Snyder and Jones sure do manage to attract a heck of a lot big names.

$$$$ will attract people and players, even to a team with shaky ownership, because at least they know they'll spend whatever it takes to win. This ownership doesn't do that/have that reputation, thus they can't be compared in any way shape or form to the Cowboys or Snyder.

Think about it... would/have any coaches like a Shanahan, Parcells ever even been CONSIDERED for the Cardinals, much less interviewed? No. There's a reason for that.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
$$$$ will attract people and players, even to a team with shaky ownership, because at least they know they'll spend whatever it takes to win. This ownership doesn't do that/have that reputation, thus they can't be compared in any way shape or form to the Cowboys or Snyder.

Think about it... would/have any coaches like a Shanahan, Parcells ever even been CONSIDERED for the Cardinals, much less interviewed? No. There's a reason for that.

This statement is laughable considering the Cardinals just ate 5.5 million dollars to improve this team. Oh, over 5.5, I forgot that they are goiong to have to pay all the other coaches and Graves too. To call the ownership cheap today is ridiculous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This statement is laughable considering the Cardinals just ate 5.5 million dollars to improve this team. Oh, over 5.5, I forgot that they are goiong to have to pay all the other coaches and Graves too. To call the ownership cheap today is ridiculous.

Someone on the team just came out TODAY ad said they won't spend what it takes to win... And they sat on 7 million dollars in cap room this season. And sat on 30 million bucks in cap room two seasons ago.

Are they better overall with money? Sure. But that wasn't the conversation. The convo was about how good coaches aren't going to go somewhere that the guy making ultimate football decisions know nothing about football as is the same guy who hoarded 7 million this season as 30 million two years ago and in no way shape or form spends like. Snyder or jones, who are able to attract the huge name coach because they know their pocketbooks are wide open.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Someone on the team just came out TODAY ad said they won't spend what it takes to win... And they sat on 7 million dollars in cap room this season. And sat on 30 million bucks in cap room two seasons ago.

Are they better overall with money? Sure. But that wasn't the conversation. The convo was about how good coaches aren't going to go somewhere that the guy making ultimate football decisions know nothing about football as is the same guy who hoarded 7 million this season as 30 million two years ago and in no way shape or form spends like. Snyder or jones, who are able to attract the huge name coach because they know their pocketbooks are wide open.
If you are referring to the 2010 season that was uncapped year so how were they 30M under the cap? Also here is an article talking about there big spending this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/60485/those-big-spending-arizona-cardinals

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

So was Jimmy Johnson a big name at the time or is he a big name now? I am pretty sure Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Garret or Phillips are in no danger of getting mistaken for great coaches. That leaves Parcelles as the only 'big name' coach Jones has hired.

As far as Snyders hiring record, there are some big names there. Gibbs and Schottenheimer (Gibbs of course was high on everyones coaching wish list and Marty was ran out of town after one year) leaving Spurrier, Zorn and Shanahan. (Snyder has a .450 winning percentage as owner)

So tell me again how these owners have been so awesome in with their "big name" coaching hires. Because I just don't see it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson