Diamondbacks plan to explore trade market..

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does this mean we’re going to be really bad for the next several years?

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Please let this be the end of Nick Ahmed, Jake Lamb, and catchers who can't hit. Mathis is by far my all time favorite D-Back catcher, for those that know what they are looking for in a receiver, he is an absolute artist back there and a joy to watch. That said, the sucking black hole that is Lamb in the second half, Ahmed, catcher, pitcher is just too much to overcome in a lineup. Guys like Goldy, Escobar and Peralta more often than not give you professional AB's. Build around that.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully they kick in some cash to get a better package for Greinke. He may be the "ace" on this staff but this team needs to rebuild through the farm.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It has to happen... but wish it wouldn’t involve Goldy... [emoji30]

When the dust settles, I don't think it will involve him. I simply don't think they will get a trade package they believe is worth giving him up. They are wise to listen to any and all offers for any player.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please let this be the end of Nick Ahmed, Jake Lamb, and catchers who can't hit. Mathis is by far my all time favorite D-Back catcher, for those that know what they are looking for in a receiver, he is an absolute artist back there and a joy to watch. That said, the sucking black hole that is Lamb in the second half, Ahmed, catcher, pitcher is just too much to overcome in a lineup. Guys like Goldy, Escobar and Peralta more often than not give you professional AB's. Build around that.

I am guessing I am an idiot when I say I don't think Ahmed is a huge problem. He is what he is and his defense is huge for this team. Find a realistic option for him at SS and I will reconsider.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't get the hate for Ahmed - his batting really improved, and had a positive Offensive WAR, to go along with stellar defense that saves runs.

Plus, under control for 3 more seasons.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't get the hate for Ahmed - his batting really improved, and had a positive Offensive WAR, to go along with stellar defense that saves runs.

Ahmed's fielding is indeed something to behold. But he is not the only good fielding SS on the team. Despite his overall RBI stats this season, he was still an undependable hitter against RH pitchers in clutch situations.

With Lovullo's pre-planned resting of players, even down the stretch, Ahmed was spending more time on the bench, then even approached a platoon situation for a short while, starting primarily against LH pitchers, which made his much improved stats less meaningful.

I am sure that he will remain our primary starting SS until a Minor League phenom is ready. Then it will be difficult to rationalize Nick remaining in the lineup. He is no Goldy when it comes to blocking the progress of a younger player.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
With Lovullo's pre-planned resting of players, even down the stretch, Ahmed was spending more time on the bench, then even approached a platoon situation for a short while, starting primarily against LH pitchers, which made his much improved stats less meaningful.

Ahmed had career highs in Plate Appearances (564), At-Bats (516) and Games Played (153). He ranked 10th in all of MLB shortstops in games played and 15th in At-Bats.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You know, when you make arguments using WAR and Defensive Runs Saved, it really undermines those “sabermetrics sucks and is why we lose” arguments.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, when you make arguments using WAR and Defensive Runs Saved, it really undermines those “sabermetrics sucks and is why we lose” arguments.
Advanced stats has it’s place as one of many tools to evaluate a player

And I don’t need sabermetrics stats to tell me what my eyes see is that Ahmed saves runs

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Advanced stats has it’s place as one of many tools to evaluate a player

And I don’t need sabermetrics stats to tell me what my eyes see is that Ahmed saves runs

#DontbeMichaelKay

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media