Diamondbacks fans can adopt dogs at Chase Field

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
This is great! Good job, Diamondbacks. I'm guessing Mr La Russa had a hand in this. :)

As you head into the 2016 baseball season, you may notice a few holes in your family roster. Maybe you could use a utility fetcher, or perhaps a dependable stress-reliever.

You could fill those gaps on Sundays at Chase Field, where animals shelters will offer some of their finest free agents for adoption.

Starting Sunday, April 10, the Arizona Diamondbacks will become the first MLB team to offer canine adoptions all season long, part of its new Dog Days of Summer program that features pet-friendly amenities in a special area in left-center field.

Each of the 13 Sundays the D-Backs play at home through September, one of three participating shelters will have six to 10 dogs at the Adopt Spot at PetSmart Patio. The dogs will be available for tryouts at PetSmart Park, a nearby fenced-in play area.

Should you choose to sign a dog to a lifetime contract, you can take it home right from the game. Each adoption includes a bag of pet food and one-time services for medical, training and socialization needs.

New owners also get an adoption kit that explains how best to help the family’s rookie transition from free agency to the loving-home big leagues.

Signing bonuses (adoption fees) will be set by the shelters, and are expected to start at about $50. Expect to pay more for puppies, often considered the brightest prospects. Discounts may apply throughout the season, perhaps for veteran animals mistakenly believed to have their best performances behind them.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/ente.../82470706/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

:thumbup: :thumbup:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That is great! But be wary of PetSmart. My former wife and I had parrots, but started with a small cockatiel we purchased at PetSmart.

That little bird lasted 3 weeks. It was diseased. PetSmart offered to sell us a new bird at half price (which is what we would have paid at any breeder's), but they refused to refund our full amount so we could shop elsewhere. We lost the bird and the price we paid them.

You may not have the same experience. But I vowed to never go near PetSmart again.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is great! But be wary of PetSmart. My former wife and I had parrots, but started with a small cockatiel we purchased at PetSmart.

That little bird lasted 3 weeks. It was diseased. PetSmart offered to sell us a new bird at half price (which is what we would have paid at any breeder's), but they refused to refund our full amount so we could shop elsewhere. We lost the bird and the price we paid them.

You may not have the same experience. But I vowed to never go near PetSmart again.

They are shelter dogs from various shelters:

The shelters are HALO Animal Rescue, Arizona Animal Welfare League and, leading off April 10, the Arizona Humane Society.

The areas at the park are sponsored by PetSmart, but I am pretty sure that is where their involvement ends, unless you get some coupons or leashes, etc. from them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They are shelter dogs from various shelters:

The shelters are HALO Animal Rescue, Arizona Animal Welfare League and, leading off April 10, the Arizona Humane Society.

The areas at the park are sponsored by PetSmart, but I am pretty sure that is where their involvement ends, unless you get some coupons or leashes, etc. from them.
'Good to hear. Thanks for the details.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Sadly, bird mills exist just like puppy mills. They're terrible. I wish pet stores would stop selling birds.

If you're looking to adopt a bird, I suggest visiting http://www.azexoticbirdrescue.org/. It's also a fun place to visit/support.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. This is stupid. Owning a dog is a serious financial and time commitment. Not something to be done on a whim at a baseball game.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't PetSmart sort of screen the new owners?

I like how they worded it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson