Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
All those in favor say "Aye".

"Aye"!

He had the chance to step up to ace of the staff in this,
his 6th season, 5th with the D-backs, and didn't come
close to fulfilling that role.

Way too many pitches, and too short outings, seemingly
more concerned with strikeouts than innings per game.

And setting a bad example for our many young starters.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For the right return, I would be for this...as long as we bring in someone who is capable of being a front-line starter. (While Ray is erratic at best, none of our other starting pitchers, save perhaps for Taijuan Walker, who is coming off of two lost seasons and who might not even be able to pitch again, has the pure stuff to be a front-line starter.)

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you don't like the guy, fine. But we need starting pitching in the worst way. Getting rid of another guy is just another hurdle. A big one.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hopefully, some of the young guys who closed out the
season in the starting rotation will makes good strides.

"Erratic at best" does not warrant the status quo as
our ace when he averaged just a little over five innings
per start all last season.

That puts undue pressure on the bullpen.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they looked into extending him and it was probably shot down.

I am guessing they know out will be too costly to sign him to a new contact and so they are going to see what they can get. Ray is a good 2 or 3 but I am pretty unimpressed with him overall. Not bad but nothing special either.

For me keeping him...trading him...neither moves the needle.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am guessing they know out will be too costly to sign him to a new contact and so they are going to see what they can get. Ray is a good 2 or 3 but I am pretty unimpressed with him overall. Not bad but nothing special either.

For me keeping him...trading him...neither moves the needle.
Yeah, if an offer was made it wasn't gonna be #1 $$.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
7. Robbie Ray, SP, Diamondbacks: It’s much the same situation as with Yates … man, it would sure hurt to trade a player like this in a season in which you wish to contend. But these NL West clubs are surely realistic about the odds of catching the Dodgers as the rosters are currently arrayed. So they have to contemplate swaps that boost the long-term outlook, even if it means something less than a full-throated attempt at winning right now. The Snakes have quite a few pitching possibilities to step in if they find a deal they like on the talented southpaw, though surely the club will not be overly anxious to get a deal done if the offers aren’t really significant.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/top-trade-candidates-mlb-offseason.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how much Ray is looking for but if Hazen doesn't like the offers he is getting then keep him. A mistake would be to just give him away but I can't see him getting more than $12M a year so maybe offer him 4 years $48M a year now unless Hazen is looking for a #1 now in FA and needs the money for that purchase.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not sure how much Ray is looking for but if Hazen doesn't like the offers he is getting then keep him. A mistake would be to just give him away but I can't see him getting more than $12M a year so maybe offer him 4 years $48M a year now unless Hazen is looking for a #1 now in FA and needs the money for that purchase.
I hope the highlighted part is the case. Not just an "ace" #1 starter, but a stopper (of losing streaks).

It identifies a team as serious about being a playoff force.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Jeff Wiser

@OutfieldGrass24

·
3m

The Zack Wheeler deal makes me awfully curious about Robbie Ray's market a year from now. His strikeouts remain elite, he's been more durable and is a lefty. The walks are problematic, but both will have hit the market at 29.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nevertheless, Nightengale believes Ray’s value remains, whether or not he’s starting or coming out of the bullpen.

With one year on his contract, it makes sense for Arizona to listen to offers. The Bumgarner deal only accelerated that thought.

“A lot of teams want this guy just because of the strikeouts. American League guys are more wary of him … just because it’s a tougher league to pitch in,” Nightengale said. “A lot of teams want him for their bullpen. I still think there’s a huge market.”
https://arizonasports.com/story/219...igning-helps-d-backs-robbie-ray-trade-market/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's too bad PIT doesn't have an interest in a Ray for Marte swap as it would make sense for both teams but PIT is looking for just prospects.

I would just keep Ray and get a comp pick for him and the $10M off the books when he bolts than trying to find a trade partner that is willing to send a stop gap CF and / or prospects back.

I would sign Starlin Castro to provide some pop to 2B (his defense was pretty good last year) and then load up on bullpen help and call it an offseason. Marte will play CF until one of their top OF prospects are ready then move him back to 2B.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose