Dexter (Showtime)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
So, I never go into this show but was planning on watching from Season 1....now I kind of feel like I don't care. LOL. Especially, if it ends bad. Nothing pisses me off more.

Here's the thing. Season 1-4, it's one of the best shows on TV. After that? It just gets worse each season. Like watching a car crash in slow motion. Season 4 is up there in Breaking Bad territory IMO.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the final season. It was torturous. Agreed with all the sentiments posted in this thread. This was ridiculously bad television, and I was only watching it because I've watched all the other seasons and wanted it over with. It's not even worth pointing out all that was wrong with it, I am just glad it's over.

The only other relatively recent TV show I felt that way about was 24.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the final season. It was torturous. Agreed with all the sentiments posted in this thread. This was ridiculously bad television, and I was only watching it because I've watched all the other seasons and wanted it over with. It's not even worth pointing out all that was wrong with it, I am just glad it's over.

The only other relatively recent TV show I felt that way about was 24.

I was a HUGE fan of 24 but it just got so bad that I haven't even gotten around to watching the last season yet.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got Netflix and I started watching this show. I didn't read this thread because I wasn't sure if there are spoilers or not. I'm 5 episodes in and my wife and I are really enjoying it. I can't believe there are 96 episodes.. how in the heck does he go that long without getting caught, If he ever does. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Great show so far, I hope it stays that way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got Netflix and I started watching this show. I didn't read this thread because I wasn't sure if there are spoilers or not. I'm 5 episodes in and my wife and I are really enjoying it. I can't believe there are 96 episodes.. how in the heck does he go that long without getting caught, If he ever does. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Great show so far, I hope it stays that way.

It's GREAT through the Trinity killer season. I'd stop watching there and save yourself countless hours because it all goes downhill after that... and freaking FAST.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's GREAT through the Trinity killer season. I'd stop watching there and save yourself countless hours because it all goes downhill after that... and freaking FAST.

Ok, the one I'm watching has the Ice Truck killer. Is Trinity in the second season?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, the one I'm watching has the Ice Truck killer. Is Trinity in the second season?

4th season.

1-4 are all amazing and well done. Season 5 on - different writers, etc. led to all kinds of unanswered plot holes and caused a ton of head-scratching moments until the very end.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Season 1-4 was amazing. After that it goes downhill FAST. But that's not to say you should quit watching. It's still mildly entertaining and (kind of) wraps things up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season 1-4 was amazing. After that it goes downhill FAST. But that's not to say you should quit watching. It's still mildly entertaining and (kind of) wraps things up.

Different strokes for different folks here. I didn't think it wrapped up much of anything.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Appreciate it very much.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://deadline.com/2020/10/dexter...ted-michael-c-hall-clyde-phillips-1234597514/

‘Dexter’: Showtime Revives Serial Killer Drama As Limited Series, Michael C. Hall & Clyde Phillips Return

Dexter is back to his blood-splattering ways after Showtime ordered a new limited series reboot of the long-running serial killer drama.

Michael C. Hall, who played Dexter in the series, which ran between 2006 and 2013, is back with showrunner Clyde Phillips.

The network has handed the series a ten-part run that is set to go into production in early 2021 with a tentative premiere date of fall 2021.

The original followed Dexter Morgan, who was a complicated and conflicted blood-spatter expert for the Miami police department that moonlighted as a serial killer.

Gary Levine, Co-President of Entertainment at Showtime, said that the network was only willing to revisit the “unique” character if they could find a creative take that was “worthy” and they have “found it”.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
https://deadline.com/2020/10/dexter...ted-michael-c-hall-clyde-phillips-1234597514/

‘Dexter’: Showtime Revives Serial Killer Drama As Limited Series, Michael C. Hall & Clyde Phillips Return

Dexter is back to his blood-splattering ways after Showtime ordered a new limited series reboot of the long-running serial killer drama.

Michael C. Hall, who played Dexter in the series, which ran between 2006 and 2013, is back with showrunner Clyde Phillips.

The network has handed the series a ten-part run that is set to go into production in early 2021 with a tentative premiere date of fall 2021.

The original followed Dexter Morgan, who was a complicated and conflicted blood-spatter expert for the Miami police department that moonlighted as a serial killer.

Gary Levine, Co-President of Entertainment at Showtime, said that the network was only willing to revisit the “unique” character if they could find a creative take that was “worthy” and they have “found it”.

Awesome! I just finished binging the entire series and really enjoyed it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I really, REALLY don't think so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this makes me mad. the IP wars are starting to really bleed into TV now where it's becoming almost impossible to sell anything that isn't IP, a sequel or spin-off to a previous show.

also, the end of this show... and last three seasons... were atrocious.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this makes me mad. the IP wars are starting to really bleed into TV now where it's becoming almost impossible to sell anything that isn't IP, a sequel or spin-off to a previous show.

This times a thousand. I loved loved loved the first four seasons and how it ended. That really should have been the final curtain and it would have always been remembered as a fantastic show. But then the next four seasons happened with a mix of different writers, etc. and it was so off and inconsistent and pointless.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I just finished this show a couple months ago.

Absolutely loved it when it first hit. Was appointment viewing, which doesn't really happen in my house

By the last couple of seasons we'd catch it when we could

During the last season we never really got into it. Watched a few and didn't finish.

Then a couple years ago we went back and watched almost to the end of the season, but didn't get through the last few episodes

Finally this summer we saw it and almost out of obligation (and friends giving us crap everytime we would bring them up not watching something) we finished the program

There were flashes of potential, but they were brief and became quickly disjointed

I also didn't need to see him live - let alone restart as a lumberjack

I may watch a limited run, but I wouldn't be excited for it - one of those things that will be there. If there is some good buzz will probably get to it at some point, if not will probably forget it exists

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

Lord knows we don't need another spin-off of Sheldon or CSI, but if we can get another 10 high quality episodes of Dexter bring it on! It's got to be good though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If I was a cop and Dexter was killing all the scum bags, I know I would be putting my efforts into other cases! LOL!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently the show runner from the first 3 seasons is handling this limited run. The show took a nosedive in quality when he left but I'm not sure he can repair things at this point. The bad has had too much time to set in, IMO. Ill still give it a shot and hope I'm not wasting my time but my expectations are low.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Comic-Con trailer

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone catch episode 1 of the reboot?

I'm digging it. Much better than the last season, which was really bad. The first episode does a solid job of bringing you up to speed without revealing too much. Definitely excited to see where this story goes.