April 3, 2020, 3:23 pm ET
Updated On: April 3, 2020, 3:23 pm ET

1. Javon Kinlaw (South Carolina) | 6'5/324

You must be registered for see images attach

SPARQ percentile: N/A

Adjusted SPARQ: N/A

RAS: N/A

Comp: Richard Seymour

When Javon Kinlaw was a kid, the roof of one of the houses he and his mom were staying at caved in. He at various times lived without electricity or running water. When there was no home at all, and there wasn’t for some time, he would crash in friends’ basements. A prodigious football talent with offers from Alabama, USC, Clemson, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Florida, and a host of others, Kinlaw first had to enroll in the JUCO ranks to get his grades up. He arrived at 280 pounds. When he realized the food was free, after a life of poverty, “I started going crazy," Kinlaw said.

Kinlaw ultimately honored his original commitment to South Carolina as one of the top JUCO recruits in the country, but showed up on campus a year later, in the lead-up to the 2017 season, weighing 347 pounds. That year, he got his humbling, playing only part-time snaps despite his prodigious talent level while coaches challenged him to get in shape and dedicate himself. The message sunk in, and Kinlaw showed up in 2018 with a remade body, almost 40 pounds lighter, and as a different player. He was a self-actualized monster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The improvement has been rapid ever since. Between 2017-2019, his PFF grades jumped from 74.1 to 85.0 to 89.4. He’s a freight train off the snap, ridiculously quick with strong anticipation. Despite his massive, rangy frame, Kinlaw fires in low, giving his man a jolt in the shoulder pads with those bear paws while his hips explode through contact. He consistently moves offensive linemen backwards. Kinlaw’s bull rush is the stuff of legend. Like Aroldis Chapman’s fastball in his prime, Kinlaw’s bull rush is so vaunted that offensive linemen are constantly on their heels preparing for it, which sets up his counters.

Kinlaw is more than a one-trick pony, with the agility to beat his man with his feet and a slick club game that keeps opponents guessing and deprives them of their balance. Kinlaw uses his length to create distance and his power and athleticism as the getaway car. Interior penetration wrecks game plans, and few prospects come into the league with the skillset to consistently get it like Kinlaw. He was borderline unblockable the past few years, posting absurd PFF pass-rushing grades of 88.7 and 90.7, respectively, in 2018 and 2019. Last year, he finished No. 2 in the country in PFF’s pass-rush win rate stat among interior defensive linemen. And that was with South Carolina playing him out of position at nose tackle for about one-third of his snaps in 2019!

The rapid developmental progression he’s shown over the past few years ought to have NFL teams thinking long and hard about exactly where the ceiling ends. Kinlaw’s weaknesses – he needs to play with a bit more discipline, he could stand to add more pass-rushing moves, he sometimes plays too high, he could use his hands more effectively – are all fixable and assuredly next up on his hit list. With a few technical tweaks, he’s going to be a scary, scary dude to deal with at the next level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
2. Derrick Brown (Auburn) | 6'4/326

SPARQ percentile: 32.9

Adjusted SPARQ: .45

RAS: 6.09

Comp: Kris Jenkins (Lance Zierlein)

Brown signed with Auburn as a ballyhooed consensus top-10 overall recruit in the class of 2016, choosing the Tigers over Alabama and Georgia. He was a starter by his sophomore year, and an unmitigated star by his junior campaign. Honestly, I thought I was going to be writing this capsule this time last year. Instead, Brown, a likely 2019 late first-round pick, stunned the NFL by returning to campus for his senior year.

After a monstrous senior year which included 12.5 TFL and finalist shoutouts from the Bednarik and Outland awards, he’s likely now headed for the top-10. A pocket-collapsing, game plan-wrecking menace of a player, Brown told ESPN’s Trey Wingo that he studies and patterns his game after Ndamukong Suh, Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox.

A rangy tackle with huge power, Brown gobbles up interior linemen for breakfast, mucking up the middle and freeing up his friends on the second level to party. He gets on top of linemen in a snap off the ball, dictating terms by getting his strong mitts into their shoulder pads as though they were a steering wheel. Not just a facilitator, Brown’s upper-body power, hand-strength and lower-body agility allow for shedding and dropping the ball-carrier.

He’s going to be a fabulous NFL run stuffer. The translation of Brown’s pass-rushing is a more interesting topic. Brown did not test well at the NFL Combine – out of all defensive linemen in attendance, he finished No. 34 in the 40-yard dash, tied for No. 29 in the vertical, No. 24 in the broad jump, dead last in the three-cone and No. 20 in the 20-yard shuttle. His game isn’t built around athleticism. In fact, he has a sort of marauder style, playing high, knocking heads, clubbing fools.

At the highest level of college, he was an extremely disruptive pass-rusher, posting a sterling PFF pass-rushing grade of 85.0-plus in each of the past two years with 37 hurries. But Brown’s elite quickness and power were simply overwhelming for collegiate interior linemen – will the pillaging style play as well in the NFL in this phase when Brown isn’t winning a half-step head start on every play along with an enormous strength advantage? If he’s an elite bull-rusher with a few slick counter moves, he’ll still absolutely disrupt, just perhaps not enough to justify his current hype level.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kinlaws red flags are an injury history, and inconsistency. To me, you don't want those things in a top 10 pick. If we trade down, he's totally on the radar, and IMO could end up being a pro-bowler as a 3/4 DE...but I think Brown is also a solid pick.

Im sticking with my wishlist of 1. Defensive Stud (Young, Okudah, Simmons, Brown) 2. WR (Lamb, Ruggs, Jeudy) or 3. OT (Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Bechton)

Those are in order of preference for me.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If you want to stop the run, Brown’s your man. If you want a more balanced player, but there may be motor problems. He’s an interesting risk/reward.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brown has “elite quickness” and a 1%tile 3-cone for his position. Doesn’t compute.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want to stop the run, Brown’s your man. If you want a more balanced player, but there may be motor problems. He’s an interesting risk/reward.

Brown has motor problem? Not even

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Flat out one of the most insane plays you’ll ever see a DT make. The pass rush, change of direction and the chase down speed for a man that big is crazy

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the pick at #8 is between Kindlaw and Brown I would lean toward Kindlaw because he's a far superior pass rusher. Pressure up the middle is so disruptive to a passing game and he can provide that.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brown reminds me of Linval Joseph. Just going back and forth if that is good value at eight with other prospects that will be available.

Kinlaw has a higher upside as a pass rusher, but has a lower floor than Brown. He feels a little risky inside top ten for me.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brown is this years Aaron Donald lite. He's awesome.

I think he'll be there for us at 8. If a 3rd qb goes early or if an OT gets taken before us, he'll be there.

He's better than Kinlaw. He's one of the four elite defensive talents in this draft and would be murder on opposing defenses, in a stance next to Chandler Jones.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brown reminds me of Linval Joseph. Just going back and forth if that is good value at eight with other prospects that will be available.

Kinlaw has a higher upside as a pass rusher, but has a lower floor than Brown. He feels a little risky inside top ten for me.

Linval Joseph put up 11 more reps with longer arms. If Brown is Linval you instantly take him at 8.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brown is this years Aaron Donald lite. He's awesome.

I think he'll be there for us at 8. If a 3rd qb goes early or if an OT gets taken before us, he'll be there.

He's better than Kinlaw. He's one of the four elite defensive talents in this draft and would be murder on opposing defenses, in a stance next to Chandler Jones.

Brown is 100% not Aaron Donald lite. Kinlaw is way closer to AD-lite (and he ain’t close either).

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Linval Joseph put up 11 more reps with longer arms. If Brown is Linval you instantly take him at 8.

Joseph is a nice player, but I doubt he really strikes fear in opposing teams. And this is best case I see for Brown. To me, Joseph is replaceable player, not a cornerstone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would much prefer Brown to Kinlaw. IMO, Kinlaw has a high bust potential at 8. He's not real bright & his inconsistent motor scares me. Brown is the complete opposite. He's very bright & his motor has never been questioned.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would much prefer Brown to Kinlaw. IMO, Kinlaw has a high bust potential at 8. He's not real bright & his inconsistent motor scares me. Brown is the complete opposite. He's very bright & his motor has never been questioned.

he’s not bright? He has a bad motor? Says who. By all accounts he’s a great kid and a team leader

these are team awards he won last year,

the Tenacity Award (Defense),
the Unselfish Teammate Award (Defense),
the Most Productive Player Award (Defense)
Joe Morrison Award (Defensive MVP).

do some homework before call these kids dumb and lazy

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just don’t get the Brown love. Would much prefer any of the four OT to him.

Agreed. I don't see it at all.

I at least see a little to be excited about with Kinlaw.

OP
OP
TheCardFan

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Something that may or may not be relevant.

Kinlaw is often compared to Chris Jones...here are their stats during final year in college: