Depth of Draft

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve been taking a fair size amount of heat with my comment that this is a very deep draft pool. So I thought I’d post draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah’s view on the subject, “"I think this is a really good depth draft, especially when you get into the second, third (and) fourth round. There's a lot of quality there, a lot of starters," Jeremiah said in a conference call on Friday. "People are going to realize when you target the right positions outside of Round 1, you can survive without a first-round pick."

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been taking a fair size amount of heat with my comment that this is a very deep draft pool. So I thought I’d post draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah’s view on the subject, “"I think this is a really good depth draft, especially when you get into the second, third (and) fourth round. There's a lot of quality there, a lot of starters," Jeremiah said in a conference call on Friday. "People are going to realize when you target the right positions outside of Round 1, you can survive without a first-round pick."

Yes, it does seem that outside of between 20/25 picks, this is very much a 'Scouts' draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't disagree that there is depth, but the top end talent pool is real small.

But the 2nd and 3rd round talent is real deep.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me to see the Cards move out the top 10 and target Bresee. It's a weak DT class.

Pick up Bresee in the early teens while getting a bunch of extra picks to fill your boots on CB, OT and Edge in rounds 2-4.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hello! Is this thing working? Hello? Anyone there? I don't think this thing is working today. Hello! Dang. Can anyone hear me? I'm over here. Hey, someone say something. Damn!

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree this draft has 2nd and 3rd round depth...especially at CB and OL. I also agree that there are only a couple of "blue chip top picks"....but luckily for us we are in position to possibly take advantage of both.

If Anderson is there at #3, just take him. He is one of, if not the best player in the draft, and worthy of that "blue chip" type pick. (High Value/High Cost position etc).

With picks #34, 66, 96 and whatever we might get from trading DHOP, it looks like we should be able to add a couple more starters.

Lets say we get the Pats 2nd rounder (#46)

#3 - Anderson
#34 - CB Banks or Forbes?
#46 - OG Steve Avila
#66 - Another CB or OL to take advantage of the depth (CB Williams? OC Wypler? OT Mauch?)
#96 - RB Kendre Miller (TCU...I really like this kid. He is very hard to get ahold of)

I would take a draft like that all day long!!

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I agree this draft has 2nd and 3rd round depth...
RB Kendre Miller (TCU...I really like this kid. He is very hard to get ahold of)
I have been googling the RBs I don't know this month and am surprised how many look really good enough to be starters. You might be able to find a decent RB in every round of this draft it looks like to me.

Here is one 5th or 6th rounder with potential: Israel Abanikanda, RB, Pittsburgh

Of course there is always Spears, Vaughn, Ibrahim.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I have been googling the RBs I don't know this month and am surprised how many look really good enough to be starters. You might be able to find a decent RB in every round of this draft it looks like to me.

Here is one 5th or 6th rounder with potential:
Israel Abanikanda, RB, Pittsburgh
I am of the mindset that you should draft a mid round RB every 2 years no matter what. There are always good ones, even if they can only give you 2-3 years.

I love some of the RB's in the mid rounds this year. Let me also say, I think Bijan Robinson is the best RB prospect in a decade, and I would break my own rule to draft him in the 1st round....just not at #3 overall.

BACK TO MY POINT....

Here are some mid round RB's who I would love to have:
Miller (TCU), Deuce Vaugh (KState), Tyjea Spears (Tulane)

AND my super sleeper late round guy

Hunter Luepke (HB/FB) ND State. I imagine him as a do it all H back, Kyle Jyuscheck type player. Check out his stats on limited usage. The kid has enough speed to bust a long run, he has a nose for the endzone, he can catch, and ZERO fumbles.

STATS
ATTYDSAVGTDLNGRECYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I love your input Harry and respect your opinions. Knowing how wrong I have been (Isaiah & Kyler in particular) in the past few years, I tend to stay quiet a bit more around draft time but here is my take.

This draft, overall, is very bottom heavy.

--I think 10 to 14 prospects will be drafted in round 1 that are actually round 2 prospects.
--Same goes for round 2. At least 15 are actually round 3 prospects in my opinion. Maybe closer to 20.
--Speaking to Jeremiah's depth comment...... I think that by the middle of round 3 to the end of 4, we will be looking at a mish mosh of 4th to 7th round prospects that make the bottom end look a bit better but still filled with 4th to 7th round guys.

If we picked after pick 12 in round one I would be screaming trade back from the roof tops. And I would probably try to get next year picks over this year picks. Rounds 2 and 3 will be filled with reaches IMO. It may be the widest open 2nd and 3rd day that I can remember. I can't tell which way is up.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I love your input Harry and respect your opinions. Knowing how wrong I have been (Isaiah & Kyler in particular) in the past few years, I tend to stay quiet a bit more around draft time but here is my take.

This draft, overall, is very bottom heavy.

--I think 10 to 14 prospects will be drafted in round 1 that are actually round 2 prospects.
--Same goes for round 2. At least 15 are actually round 3 prospects in my opinion. Maybe closer to 20.
--Speaking to Jeremiah's depth comment...... I think that by the middle of round 3 to the end of 4, we will be looking at a mish mosh of 4th to 7th round prospects that make the bottom end look a bit better but still filled with 4th to 7th round guys.

If we picked after pick 12 in round one I would be screaming trade back from the roof tops. And I would probably try to get next year picks over this year picks. Rounds 2 and 3 will be filled with reaches IMO. It may be the widest open 2nd and 3rd day that I can remember. I can't tell which way is up.
There are certainly those who agree with you. I feel stronger than ever about my assessment after watching the Combine. The numbers put up argue this is a fine pool, including round 1. This didn’t happen by luck. The transfer portal has significantly upgraded the player pool. Players like O’Cyrus Torrence, Siaka Ika and Jahmyr Gibbs among others used the portal. Why Does this happen? Well in part because dozens of players are recruited expecting to start. Teams routinely tell several redundant players that they are great and play on their ego. Coaches fear injury will necessitate depth. Plus they can’t always be sure they know which of the prospects will function best in their schemes. So good players get stuck behind other good players. They’re not properly evaluated in the old system. Late bloomers and injured players are often undervalued. The transfer portal has helped expose those players. They simply transfer to teams that play them. We’re going to see better players every year for the next few years. There’s also a small increase from better training techniques. Better coaching means better players. This will be an impact pool IMO.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No heat from me. I have said the same since the beginning. I would like 5-7 starters out of this draft.

Then the tank is on!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose