Dental Care Routines

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Kel Varnsen, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Anyone use an electric toothbrush and/or flossing device? Any recommendations?

2. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

So, I upped my brushing and flossing to more than what my hygenist wanted. I went back in for a cleaning and my scores were worse. We talked about my hygene practices going up and my scores getting worse. She then said that flossing and brushing only attacked the 3 to 4 mil depth on your gums, where her cleaning with tools hit the 5 to 6 mil depth. So now I have been wondering if there is a way to self clean with tools like they use and how much training you need so you don't ruin your teeth? So basically she was saying brushing and flossing were not effective enough for me.

3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I just got a new one delivered today. Stellar reviews and only $37. comes with like 6 brush heads too.

upload_2019-8-13_15-48-7.png

Wireless charger and all.

4. BigRedRage

maybe get the floss picks that you push through by your gums along with moisturizing mouthwash.

upload_2019-8-13_15-50-46.png

5. BigRedRage

as far as flossing devices, there are water picks but my dentist advised me to stick to the oral b floss stick things and said it works better.

6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

we use those too. I had a water pic device and I actually loved it but the tip got broken during a move then the rubber seal on the thing failed so it would leak and I just never got around to trying to get replacements for both.

We tried the cheaper version, generic on the GUM picks but we prefer the ones you showed in the picture. CVS fairly often has decent deals on them.

7. BigRedRage

do you guys still brush like normal when using an electric toothbrush? Technically youre supposed to just drag it slowly across your teeth and let the brush do everything but I cant bring myself to do it.

8. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

I thought they spun like the ones at dentists’ offices and you just dragged them. Do they not do that?

BigRedRage likes this.
  9. BigRedRage

ive never seen one that spins, usually they are just vibrating so ultimately, you are supposed to just drag it but I end up brushing my teeth like a normally would but now with a high RPM vibrating toothbrush. Sometimes I feel like it does better, sometimes I feel like it doesnt. The brushes are never as sophisticated as a nice toothbrush is.

Often the electrics are something like this
    upload_2019-8-14_12-48-50.png
    Instead of these

upload_2019-8-14_12-47-46.png

10. Yuma

Yuma I got a job! Thanks BigRedRage!

So what I was getting at, is my dentist gave me tools that were inadequate for the job they wanted done. Then they turn around and say they have to do dental work because I am not effective on my end, again because it's impossible with the tools they gave me. Scam? Seems like it. If they really say I have to get to that 5 to 6 mil depth, then they need to recommend and/or give me tools that accomplish that task. When I did point that out, there was a long pause. I could see them thinking about that gap in how what they want and what is possible is impossible, and the hygenist said they would have to look into that.