Deflated with this offseason

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Solar7, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Cardsfan77

Cardsfan77 Registered

They also sold the farm to do so. We haven’t gone there yet. Forgot about Hopkins already eh?

2. HomerPimpson

HomerPimpson Registered

I've been pissed at PP a few years now. But he was still by far the best corner on our roster. Losing him doesn't add anything to our team.

Minski, Ouchie-Z-Clown and Solar7 like this.
  3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Yup hop was the exception. And in “selling the farm” they’ve made a Super Bowl and numerous playoffs. Man they’re stupid.

4. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

You know OTC people laid Keim for his ability to make trades. However, making trades have cost us draft capital and cap space. And why do we trade for a player? Because it’s a position of need from bad personnel decisions.
    Three, count them 3 wr’s drafted 2 years ago and none of them have proven they will ever have a huge impact in the NFL.
    Hopkins is an awesome receiver obtained at a cost. Imagine if Keim would have drafted Metcalf. That trade may have never went down. It also added , what, 17 m in cap space and cost us a second round pick.

5. juza76

juza76 Registered

Find a way to get rid of Hicks and Dennard
    Too much salary for below average playing
    I think ilb can be fine with Simmons Tallejo and zeke Turner back up
    Dennard can be replaced by a rookie
    Trade Isabella for a 7th rounder, possibly a speedy kick returner

Sign Fuller

Trade down in the draft and if there a chance to take Horn /newsome /Jenkins/Humphrey

Get an extra third and fifth at least

Round 1 Newsome cb
    Round 2 Terrance Marshall wr
    Round 3 Mainerz guard
    Round 5a) rb sermon/hill...
    Round 5b) pass rusher
    Round 7A) ILB
    Roubd7b) TE
    Round 7C) kick returner /special team/gunner

6. Heucrazy

Heucrazy Pretty Prince of Parties

1:CB
    2:CB
    5:TE
    7:RB
    7:RB

Keim has it all figured out before his third drink at breakfast. :championship:

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Oh no doubt. If I’m not #1 in the can keim line, I’m not far back. I posted this in another thread, but it’s relevant here:

It’s about a talent accumulation at positions of need. Having picks for picks sake is meaningless generally, and even moreso with Keim’s drafting record. Trading the picks for established players has multiple benefits:

1. it ensures you fill a need - there’s no guarantee that a player worthy of the draft selection is available at a position of need;
    2. Keim’s drafting acumen, or lack thereof, lowers the value of draft picks from a practical perspective;
    3. A veteran acquired via trade at a somewhat established and known commodity - are they beyond busting? No. But their ability at the pro level has already been evidenced, it’s just a matter of making sure fit and opportunity match their abilities. Draft picks are a largely unknown quantity at the nfl level.

now that’s not to say I don’t recognize the downsides:

1. age is a factor - if you’re trying to fill important positions with trades you’re going to be turning over those positions more frequently because you don’t have the luxury of having them did their entire career.
    2. Cost - trades for vets are more expensive against the cap as you lose the luxury of rookie contracts. This constricts your ability to stack more talent.
    3. Warts - just as you have the benefit of already knowing these are nfl players, so are you also accepting warts. There’s usually very little hidden upside waiting to be unlocked in a trade as exists with the potential of draft picks, even later draft picks (for teams with gms other than keim).

overall it’s not the optimal way to build a team, it should just a smaller component of team building. But we have keim which means the most important option - the draft - is poor, and the secondary option - free agency - isn’t far behind for long-term team additions of talent. So it leaves a heavy dependence on his brilliance with trades

GatorAZ, HomerPimpson and slanidrac16 like this.