Deflated with this offseason

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not surprisingly you just described my view of the team. We have gotten much older this offseason. That’s a differentiator with the way the Rams handled a similar scenario, they traded for, or signed, established players in their primes not post-30 former stars.
They also sold the farm to do so. We haven’t gone there yet. Forgot about Hopkins already eh?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They also sold the farm to do so. We haven’t gone there yet. Forgot about Hopkins already eh?
Yup hop was the exception. And in “selling the farm” they’ve made a Super Bowl and numerous playoffs. Man they’re stupid.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup hop was the exception. And in “selling the farm” they’ve made a Super Bowl and numerous playoffs. Man they’re stupid.
You know OTC people laid Keim for his ability to make trades. However, making trades have cost us draft capital and cap space. And why do we trade for a player? Because it’s a position of need from bad personnel decisions.
Three, count them 3 wr’s drafted 2 years ago and none of them have proven they will ever have a huge impact in the NFL.
Hopkins is an awesome receiver obtained at a cost. Imagine if Keim would have drafted Metcalf. That trade may have never went down. It also added , what, 17 m in cap space and cost us a second round pick.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Find a way to get rid of Hicks and Dennard
Too much salary for below average playing
I think ilb can be fine with Simmons Tallejo and zeke Turner back up
Dennard can be replaced by a rookie
Trade Isabella for a 7th rounder, possibly a speedy kick returner

Sign Fuller

Trade down in the draft and if there a chance to take Horn /newsome /Jenkins/Humphrey

Get an extra third and fifth at least

Round 1 Newsome cb
Round 2 Terrance Marshall wr
Round 3 Mainerz guard
Round 5a) rb sermon/hill...
Round 5b) pass rusher
Round 7A) ILB
Roubd7b) TE
Round 7C) kick returner /special team/gunner

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
1:CB
2:CB
5:TE
7:RB
7:RB

Keim has it all figured out before his third drink at breakfast. :championship:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You know OTC people laid Keim for his ability to make trades. However, making trades have cost us draft capital and cap space. And why do we trade for a player? Because it’s a position of need from bad personnel decisions.
Three, count them 3 wr’s drafted 2 years ago and none of them have proven they will ever have a huge impact in the NFL.
Hopkins is an awesome receiver obtained at a cost. Imagine if Keim would have drafted Metcalf. That trade may have never went down. It also added , what, 17 m in cap space and cost us a second round pick.
Oh no doubt. If I’m not #1 in the can keim line, I’m not far back. I posted this in another thread, but it’s relevant here:

It’s about a talent accumulation at positions of need. Having picks for picks sake is meaningless generally, and even moreso with Keim’s drafting record. Trading the picks for established players has multiple benefits:

1. it ensures you fill a need - there’s no guarantee that a player worthy of the draft selection is available at a position of need;
2. Keim’s drafting acumen, or lack thereof, lowers the value of draft picks from a practical perspective;
3. A veteran acquired via trade at a somewhat established and known commodity - are they beyond busting? No. But their ability at the pro level has already been evidenced, it’s just a matter of making sure fit and opportunity match their abilities. Draft picks are a largely unknown quantity at the nfl level.

now that’s not to say I don’t recognize the downsides:

1. age is a factor - if you’re trying to fill important positions with trades you’re going to be turning over those positions more frequently because you don’t have the luxury of having them did their entire career.
2. Cost - trades for vets are more expensive against the cap as you lose the luxury of rookie contracts. This constricts your ability to stack more talent.
3. Warts - just as you have the benefit of already knowing these are nfl players, so are you also accepting warts. There’s usually very little hidden upside waiting to be unlocked in a trade as exists with the potential of draft picks, even later draft picks (for teams with gms other than keim).

overall it’s not the optimal way to build a team, it should just a smaller component of team building. But we have keim which means the most important option - the draft - is poor, and the secondary option - free agency - isn’t far behind for long-term team additions of talent. So it leaves a heavy dependence on his brilliance with trades

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose