DeFilippo (Vikes @Seattle)

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Highest completion %, lowest interception %, possibly most TD's. It isn't night and day better but it'll likely wind up his best.
True enough, but, without meaning to quibble, this season has been almost no different from his last three in Washington.

2015-2017: 29, 25, 27 TDs; 2018: 24 TDs, on a pace for 29.5.
2015-2017: passer ratings 102, 97, 94; 2018: 98.

His yards per attempt and completion are lower, despite having Thielen, Diggs, & Rudolph!
2015-2017: y/a 7.7, 8.1, 7.6; 2018: 7.2
2015-2017: y/c 11.0, 12.1, 11.8; 2018: 10.0

There's been no difference in wins & losses either:
2015-2017: 24-23-1; 2018: 6-6-1

His sack percentage is up from 5.1% in 2015-2017 to 5.8% in 2018.

Meh.

...dave

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
True enough, but, without meaning to quibble, this season has been almost no different from his last three in Washington.

2015-2017: 29, 25, 27 TDs; 2018: 24 TDs, on a pace for 29.5.
2015-2017: passer ratings 102, 97, 94; 2018: 98.

His yards per attempt and completion are lower, despite having Thielen, Diggs, & Rudolph!
2015-2017: y/a 7.7, 8.1, 7.6; 2018: 7.2
2015-2017: y/c 11.0, 12.1, 11.8; 2018: 10.0

There's been no difference in wins & losses either:
2015-2017: 24-23-1; 2018: 6-6-1

His sack percentage is up from 5.1% in 2015-2017 to 5.8% in 2018.

Meh.

...dave
But wasn't that the point? That DeFilippo was getting out of Cousins what McVay and Gruden were? I don't think "clutch" and "aggressive" can be taught so production is what we're left with. If my OC is at least maintaining the production of my high priced FA acquisition in a new situation and new team, it hardly seems like a reason to fire him. Up until the last two games, the Vikings had averaged 24.1 ppg which was slightly up from last year. So, did it come down to the last 2 games? I don't really know. This is obviously something more than just the numbers and JD may have deserved what he got. But, this is the second time in three years the Vikings have lost their OC midseason(Norv quit on Zimmer for some reason) so I think there's something else going on there too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Highest completion %, lowest interception %, possibly most TD's. It isn't night and day better but it'll likely wind up his best.

This is one of those things where the baseline stats tell a completely different story than the fancy ones... and in this case, the eye test too.

Cousins' stats give the appearance of a QB playing well, but he's been terrible against pressure, totally unable to throw down field and has provided next to nothing in high leverage situations (3rd downs, close and late, ect).

Cousins' is a more rich man's (and more durable) Bradford. A game manager who won't lose you the game but sure as hell ain't going to win it for you either.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Eagles have been devastated by injuries this season and even still it took horrible officiating for the Cowboys to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Nobody gets calls like the Cowboys & Steelers. Pederson is a very good coach & the Eagles should be in the hunt for a long time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously an over hyped QB and an over hyped OC/wannabe Head Coach. It's also pretty obvious that Frank Reich was very much more involved with their success than DiFlip.

But, in all fairness, Reich has a healthy Andrew Luck and DiFlip has a healthy Kirk Cousins.

Luck is having a great comeback year but he is NOT healthy. He's doing a Peyton Manning thing now where he's changed his throwing motion, almost sidearm now, to protect his shoulder the way Peyton did with the neck injury Remarkable comeback though, too many picks but he's over 30TD passes and his arm strength is nowhere near what it used to be. He's also not 30 so in theory he can play this way a few more years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But wasn't that the point? That DeFilippo was getting out of Cousins what McVay and Gruden were? I don't think "clutch" and "aggressive" can be taught so production is what we're left with. If my OC is at least maintaining the production of my high priced FA acquisition in a new situation and new team, it hardly seems like a reason to fire him. Up until the last two games, the Vikings had averaged 24.1 ppg which was slightly up from last year. So, did it come down to the last 2 games? I don't really know. This is obviously something more than just the numbers and JD may have deserved what he got. But, this is the second time in three years the Vikings have lost their OC midseason(Norv quit on Zimmer for some reason) so I think there's something else going on there too.
the announcers at the game were even talking about the tension between dflip and zimmer... apparently its not a new development....
methinks zimmer wants his hands all over his offense...much like wilks looks to be doing.

you dont hire a poo hot offensive guy to run your offense then hamper him with a conservative defensive minded coach....zimmer should be hands off...just like wilks should be hands off.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
This is one of those things where the baseline stats tell a completely different story than the fancy ones... and in this case, the eye test too.

Cousins' stats give the appearance of a QB playing well, but he's been terrible against pressure, totally unable to throw down field and has provided next to nothing in high leverage situations (3rd downs, close and late, ect).

Cousins' is a more rich man's (and more durable) Bradford. A game manager who won't lose you the game but sure as hell ain't going to win it for you either.
I don't follow Cousins too closely but I know there are many who feel this way about him. It is my impression that he has rarely had much of a running game supporting him though and one of the radio guys was specifically pointing to just how ineffective and bad the Vikings run game was this year. So, the advanced stats are likely painting a different picture than the baseline but I think Cousins is still pretty good.

To be in situations where it's all pass all the time will inflate one's stats but it will also make passing that much more difficult so some of that stuff offsets a little. And, comparing Cousins to Bradford, even though he's my guy, is pretty unfair to Cousins. Cousins may not have that elite intangible that makes him great overall but he's been a big time producer and deserves some credit for that. Bradford was efficient at best. Not a producer.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point wouldn't average be better than what we have?

That is no doubt true, but average isn't what I'm looking for. Average is usually worse than poor. At least when you outright stink, you get rewarded with a high draft choice. When you're great, you get rewarded with a playoff game. When average, you get nothing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson