Defensive or Offensive?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I never saw a consistent offensive philosophy. We were all over the place. Even in games we won, it was usually Kyler kinda going nuts the first couple years, then the first 7 games of 2021 it was deep down field passing attack with a mix it up running game… then with Colt it was short passing game… then I don’t know what it was to end that season. And this season there was zero identity whatsoever as to what the team WANTED to do on offense.
That I agree with. Part and parcel of someone learning on the job.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would love to have both lines of scrimmage just be physically dominant and knock the opponents ***** in the dirt. Win or lose the other team feels it for a week

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We certainly need less empty backfield sets. We can drop the no huddle.
We need to solidify the running back room. Conner is fine but not a bell cow. He’d be more effective protecting a lead late in the third and fourth quarter. Clement is a perfect 3rd string but we need to get faster there. Look at every good team. They all have two good backs that complement each other. A home run hitter at rb would help the line , Kyler and the passing game.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We certainly need less empty backfield sets. We can drop the no huddle.
We need to solidify the running back room. Conner is fine but not a bell cow. He’d be more effective protecting a lead late in the third and fourth quarter. Clement is a perfect 3rd string but we need to get faster there. Look at every good team. They all have two good backs that complement each other. A home run hitter at rb would help the line , Kyler and the passing game.
Oh, and don’t be surprise if we actually have a fullback next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He got Hopkins and Ertz and a worn out Hudson. Nothing really on the OL. Several first round picks on defense. Wasted picks on awful WR's galore, Kirk was okay.

Yeah, sure, he "tried" I guess, and failed pretty hard, minus Hopkins. Wouldn't call it building around him though. I'm sure he believes he's a lot better than what he is.
Yeah I’m not even sure I understood a coherent plan on the pieces gathered and the offense. “Building around kyler” isn’t really a coherent, coordinated plan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That I agree with. Part and parcel of someone learning on the job.
But still in the fourth season? And he’s been a head coach prior to that. He wasn’t some neophyte. Nor was keim who had been a gm for plenty long. “Learning in job” isn’t accurate here imo

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But still in the fourth season? And he’s been a head coach prior to that. He wasn’t some neophyte. Nor was keim who had been a gm for plenty long. “Learning in job” isn’t accurate here imo
Kliff was still learning to adjust his playcalling for the NFL. You can argue that he should have known this by year 4, but he didn't.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They took inside linebackers with the first two first round picks after he was drafted.
And that somehow means that they didn't focus on the offensive side of the ball?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And that somehow means that they didn't focus on the offensive side of the ball?
They threw assets at it, but I didn’t see a “plan” via those assets. I mean we would only use one of Hollywood, dortch, and Rondale because they all played the same position but we needed three of them? Two of which took premium assets to secure? That was a plan?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They threw assets at it, but I didn’t see a “plan” via those assets. I mean we would only use one of Hollywood, dortch, and Rondale because they all played the same position but we needed three of them? Two of which took premium assets to secure? That was a plan?
The plan was to build around those assets. When it doesn't work, it is easy to say they had no plan because it didn't work.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The lack of ANY identity over four years really was the most glaring red light that GM/Coach had to go. Felt like every season we were blindly throwing darts at a board, hoping something would hit a bullseye.
Couldn’t agree more!!! Take a look at the teams that consistently win, and you’ll find teams that have clear cut identities. If I were Bidwill, I would hire the candidate that can best specifically project what kind of identity he’s going to build. And it would be Bidwill’s job to track our progress in that regard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The plan was to build around those assets. When it doesn't work, it is easy to say they had no plan because it didn't work.
How would you describe the offense over the past four seasons?

Short, timing-based rhythmic passing game?

Power running game?

Stretch offense?

You can’t because other than the idiotic sideways game there was no identity.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would you describe the offense over the past four seasons?

Short, timing-based rhythmic passing game?

Power running game?

Stretch offense?

You can’t because other than the idiotic sideways game there was no identity.
The first year, Kliff brought his offense and quickly realized that PLAN didn't work. He had to change it and it was clear to anyone who watched the games or commented on them. Last year, the plan was to clearly stretch the ball down the field. Kyler was very accurate and they were trying to exploit 1 on 1 matchups.

Again, to say there was no plan because the plan stuck, doesn't mean there wasn't a plan at all.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The first year, Kliff brought his offense and quickly realized that PLAN didn't work. He had to change it and it was clear to anyone who watched the games or commented on them. Last year, the plan was to clearly stretch the ball down the field. Kyler was very accurate and they were trying to exploit 1 on 1 matchups.

Again, to say there was no plan because the plan stuck, doesn't mean there wasn't a plan at all.

Chuck it, nuk down there somewhere.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The fact that kliff had to keep changing it and kept failing meant there was no identity to build on. There was no cohesive plan. I mean you can say he had “a plan,” but when I woke up this morning I intended to brush my teeth, feed my dogs, shower and head to work. That’s “a plan” too. Wouldn’t win me a game in the NFL. If you think we are arguing that everything that kliff did was just a collection of spontaneous decisions, well, you know that’s not what we arguing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The fact that kliff had to keep changing it and kept failing meant there was no identity to build on. There was no cohesive plan. I mean you can say he had “a plan,” but when I woke up this morning I intended to brush my teeth, feed my dogs, shower and head to work. That’s “a plan” too. Wouldn’t win me a game in the NFL. If you think we are arguing that everything that kliff did was just a collection of spontaneous decisions, well, you know that’s not what we arguing.
It the difference between the Titans and the Cardinals. The Titans plan is to build around a defense and Derrick Henry. I may not think that plan is great but they at least have a plan they are committed to.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It the difference between the Titans and the Cardinals. The Titans plan is to build around a defense and Derrick Henry. I may not think that plan is great but they at least have a plan they are committed to.
Not just Derrick Henry -- the running and play action game. When Henry went down in 2022 D'Onta Foreman and Dontrell Hilliard combined for nearly over 900 yards in eight games.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he should have stuck to a plan that wasn't working to prove to you that he had a cohesive plan?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So he should have stuck to a plan that wasn't working to prove to you that he had a cohesive plan?
I think if you believe in the plan you don't change it so quickly — you adapt it to the new situation or what you've learned.

I don't think that Kliff suddenly forgot how to draw up cool plays that we saw in his first and second seasons. I think that he was encouraged to do less management of the offense and more management of the entire team, and we saw the results of that.

I think it speaks volumes that we never saw Kliff in the QBs room on Hard Knocks until Blough was doing card tricks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think if you believe in the plan you don't change it so quickly — you adapt it to the new situation or what you've learned.

I don't think that Kliff suddenly forgot how to draw up cool plays that we saw in his first and second seasons. I think that he was encouraged to do less management of the offense and more management of the entire team, and we saw the results of that.

I think it speaks volumes that we never saw Kliff in the QBs room on Hard Knocks until Blough was doing card tricks.
This

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. And if they had a good qb it would work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose