Defensive or Offensive?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems the league is focused on offense.

But maybe a defensive minded coach would help Kyler by not depending on one players athletic ability to carry the team.
Focus on running the ball and take some pressure off of Kyler. More of a bloody your nose ball control type offense. Drop the new huddle and 150 different formations.

Or do we find an offensive type coach that could turn Kyler and this offense into a juggernaut? Try to outscore them until we can add more talent to the defensive side of the ball.

Perhaps we should look at the best game manager head coach with competent Oc’s.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but offense would he the answer. The problem with a defensive coach is if the OC has success, hes going to be gone in a head coaching job. So, only way you have offensive continuity is by having offensive head coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't particularly mind but lean offensive.

Its harder to get good OCs thn DCs and the league is slanted in favor of the offense

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but offense would he the answer. The problem with a defensive coach is if the OC has success, hes going to be gone in a head coaching job. So, only way you have offensive continuity is by having offensive head coach.
More galaxy-brained thinking that brought us Kliff.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
But then you may find someone like Tomlin, Belichick or Carroll...and none of that matters.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lack of ANY identity over four years really was the most glaring red light that GM/Coach had to go. Felt like every season we were blindly throwing darts at a board, hoping something would hit a bullseye.
As I’ve said before, Kiem try to plug every hole in the roster with bottom feeders instead of building a strength in the important areas.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lack of ANY identity over four years really was the most glaring red light that GM/Coach had to go. Felt like every season we were blindly throwing darts at a board, hoping something would hit a bullseye.
I think the identity was clear. They tried to build the team and the offense around Kyler. It hasn't worked so far.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Step by step - GM vision followed by OC and DC and their strategies followed by game planning vs. each opponent.

And I’d like both offense and defense be “out of the box” aggressive but not overly weird - like questionable time management decisions just before the end of each half).

Priority should be: what do you want the team to look like in each game situation - & then work back from there.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don’t care as long as BOTH sides of the ball look competent

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ask Keim and he would say so. He invested in quite a bit of skill players on offense to pair with Kyler.

He got Hopkins and Ertz and a worn out Hudson. Nothing really on the OL. Several first round picks on defense. Wasted picks on awful WR's galore, Kirk was okay.

Yeah, sure, he "tried" I guess, and failed pretty hard, minus Hopkins. Wouldn't call it building around him though. I'm sure he believes he's a lot better than what he is.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
A freaking football coach who can balance his observations between the two and a GM which shares his vision and gets him players he can actually use to accomplish that

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He got Hopkins and Ertz and a worn out Hudson. Nothing really on the OL. Several first round picks on defense. Wasted picks on awful WR's galore, Kirk was okay.

Yeah, sure, he "tried" I guess, and failed pretty hard, minus Hopkins. Wouldn't call it building around him though. I'm sure he believes he's a lot better than what he is.
And Hollywood, and Rondale, and McBride, and Robbie Anderson.
Hernandez and Pugh. Just because the pieces failed, doesn't mean he didn't try.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And Hollywood, and Rondale, and McBride, and Robbie Anderson.
Hernandez and Pugh. Just because the pieces failed, doesn't mean he didn't try.

I mean sure we can list all the players he signed to the team just like any team signs both offense and defense. Pugh and Hernandez are meh to okay. Robbie is a joke.

Hollywood I'll give you as a try...but giving up a 1st for him arguably not a good way to build and a ditch effort to make Kyler happy. Hoping it still turns out well, though.

Rondale's entire reputation is pretty much off one game, and been decent when healthy, keyword healthy and not suprising at all he's injured often since literally everyone predicted that.

McBride, 2nd is pretty high for a TE that probably had little expectation to contribute first or second year.

Yes, of course he didn't sign 0 offensive players. Feel Keim tried to do more on defense so it wasn't all on Kyler, not that he neglected to help Kyler. He used a lot of meh's to fill in the most of the gaps and carried his mistakes for too long. I guess whatever though.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean sure we can list all the players he signed to the team just like any team signs both offense and defense. Pugh and Hernandez are meh to okay. Robbie is a joke.

Hollywood I'll give you as a try...but giving up a 1st for him arguably not a good way to build and a ditch effort to make Kyler happy. Hoping it still turns out well, though.

Rondale's entire reputation is pretty much off one game, and been decent when healthy, keyword healthy and not suprising at all he's injured often since literally everyone predicted that.

McBride, 2nd is pretty high for a TE that probably had little expectation to contribute first or second year.

Yes, of course he didn't sign 0 offensive players. Feel Keim tried to do more on defense so it wasn't all on Kyler, not that he neglected to help Kyler. He used a lot of meh's to fill in the most of the gaps and carried his mistakes for too long. I guess whatever though.
Hollywood, (1st round pick) and 2 second round picks. This NEED to hit more often than not and they didnt.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I never saw a consistent offensive philosophy. We were all over the place. Even in games we won, it was usually Kyler kinda going nuts the first couple years, then the first 7 games of 2021 it was deep down field passing attack with a mix it up running game… then with Colt it was short passing game… then I don’t know what it was to end that season. And this season there was zero identity whatsoever as to what the team WANTED to do on offense.