Defense, Defense, and more Defense

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Three scenarios I want for first round in order of preference: 1) If both Anderson and Carter are still there at 3, trade back one spot to four with Colts, still have your choice of Anderson and Carter. 2) If no trade arises just pick Anderson or Carter, don’t over think it. 3) Both Anderson and Carter are gone, trade down no more than 5 spots and get more picks. Scenarios 1 and 2 are most likely to me.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how I feel as well. Start the rebuild around the Defense. I'd like to see Murphy back but he will not be cheap. I'd love to have Zach Allen back but I think someone will overpay for him. I only bring Allen back if he can be had for a decent price.

Again it depends on who they bring in as the HC as to who they try and keep around. But yeah I'd build my defense first with some young studs to complement what little we have on that side of the ball right now.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
This is how I feel as well. Start the rebuild around the Defense. I'd like to see Murphy back but he will not be cheap. I'd love to have Zach Allen back but I think someone will overpay for him. I only bring Allen back if he can be had for a decent price.

Again it depends on who they bring in as the HC as to who they try and keep around. But yeah I'd build my defense first with some young studs to complement what little we have on that side of the ball right now.
I kinda have a feeling Flores will be asking about Murphy and Allen in particular today lol

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Given a choice between Allen and Murphy after JJ's retirement, I definitely go with Allen.

If you're concerned with building the 'D', you start with the front seven and then head towards the rear.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Given a choice between Allen and Murphy after JJ's retirement, I definitely go with Allen.

If you're concerned with building the 'D', you start with the front seven and then head towards the rear.
Murphy is also a home town kid with superstar potential, I think we have to keep them both especially if DeAndre is DeGone saving us $30 million in 2013 cap space, not to mention JJ's money

This is also where having a defensive minded coach can help you. A new head coach like Flores who has taken defenses from squalor to the higher echelon can make promises and assure them things will be different

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three scenarios I want for first round in order of preference: 1) If both Anderson and Carter are still there at 3, trade back one spot to four with Colts, still have your choice of Anderson and Carter. 2) If no trade arises just pick Anderson or Carter, don’t over think it. 3) Both Anderson and Carter are gone, trade down no more than 5 spots and get more picks. Scenarios 1 and 2 are most likely to me.
Not realistic. If the Colts decide to trade up, it will be to one.

Bears will trade down to 2 or 4. It's a complete lock IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You look at the Bills & realize trading back with a game changing pass-rusher in front of you is also dumb.

Buffalo has invested a lot into the DL the past couple years, but they all have been lower end picks which has turned into JAGs. They weren’t able to sniff Burrow at all yesterday despite Burrow’s OL missing 3 starters due to injuries.

No trade back scenario under any circumstance. None.
Completely disagree. In some weird scenario when Anderson/Carter go 1-2, we'd BETTER trade back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Will Anderson & Siaki Ika & I’m satisfied.
I have run into this a lot when working through the draft. I know Harry has it too high but there are a couple Cs at that 2nd round spot who are interesting as well.

Just looking at the depth of the draft class, some combination of EDGE, DL, OL, CB is the likely run out. CB class is deep.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You look at the Bills & realize trading back with a game changing pass-rusher in front of you is also dumb.

Buffalo has invested a lot into the DL the past couple years, but they all have been lower end picks which has turned into JAGs. They weren’t able to sniff Burrow at all yesterday despite Burrow’s OL missing 3 starters due to injuries.

No trade back scenario under any circumstance. None.
One thing that I see which supports not trading back from 3 is how much of an advantage it is being able to pressure with 4 players. KC, Cincy, SF, and PHI all able to rush four and play max coverage behind it.

It is one reason I would prefer to re-sign Allen over Murphy. Anderson/Carter and Allen, Thomas, and Sanders is a nice start to a solid front 4/5.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
One thing that I see which supports not trading back from 3 is how much of an advantage it is being able to pressure with 4 players. KC, Cincy, SF, and PHI all able to rush four and play max coverage behind it.
with the added benefit that those four players (usually) aren't liabilities vs the run

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
with the added benefit that those four players (usually) aren't liabilities vs the run
Reddick is probably the only one that I would designate as a liability vs the run but yes, all have big, physical defensive fronts. (and offensive fronts as well)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy is also a home town kid with superstar potential, I think we have to keep them both especially if DeAndre is DeGone saving us $30 million in 2013 cap space, not to mention JJ's money

This is also where having a defensive minded coach can help you. A new head coach like Flores who has taken defenses from squalor to the higher echelon can make promises and assure them things will be different

Trading DHop will only save about $8M on the 2023 cap and the rest is dead money against the cap. Watt's money counts no matter what I believe (That is how the Cards structured his contract to fit him under the cap) so no saving there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, cause that’s not happening.
You could just say that there is a unlikely scenario when I would welcome a trade down, instead of doubling down.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

???

Go to Spotrac or Over the Cap.

Trading Dhop this year = $22m dead money hit - and we add $8.1m to the available Cap.

JJ is a $3.4m Cap hit in 2023.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
???

Go to Spotrac or Over the Cap.

Trading Dhop this year = $22m dead money hit - and we add $8.1m to the available Cap.

JJ is a $3.4m Cap hit in 2023.

JJ's contract Voids March 16th and I think all of his remaining $7.2M are accelerated to this year. I'm not 100% sure though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose