Death Of Stalin

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the genius mind of the man who does political satire better than anyone... possibly ever... the writer/director of In The Loop/creator of Veep.

An absolutely BRUTAL satire of the chaos ensuing Stalin's death... that has political over-tones to not only the Trump administration, but really any strong-man, cult of personality figures in politics over recorded history.

It is both riotously funny, terrifying and violent as all get out.

An instant classic that immediately sits alongside Dr. Strangelove in political satire lore.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the review in the New Yorker this morning. Pretty much as you have described it. Really want to see this.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Death of Stalin

Release date: TBD
Studio: IFC Films
Director: Armando Iannucci
MPAA Rating: R (for language throughout, violence and some sexual references)
Screenwriters: Armando Iannucci, David Schneiderman, Ian Martin, Peter Fellows
Genre: Drama, Comedy

Starring: Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale, Jason Isaacs, Michael Palin, Andrea Riseborough, Rupert Friend, Jeffrey Tamborv

Plot Summary: In the days following Stalin’s collapse, his core team of ministers tussle for control; some want positive change in the 1950’s Soviet Union, others have more sinister motives. Their one common trait? They’re all just desperately trying to remain alive. Based on Titan Comics graphic novel by Fabien Nury with art by Thierry Robin, "The Death of Stalin" is inspired by the true story of the events surrounding Joseph Stalin’s death more than half a century ago.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In the Loop was crazy good, with the single best performance of a government official I’ve ever seen. Peter Capaldi is magic.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Loop was crazy good, with the single best performance of a government official I’ve ever seen. Peter Capaldi is magic.

Yeah... I have to watch that one again. watched it on my computer on a plane and people kept looking at me because I was just losing.

Think I like Stalin more... maybe because it’s just SO F’N DARK... and feels beyond relevant right now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was absolutely freaking hilarious. Now, it doesn't shine on Dr. Strangelove, but that's one of the better movies ever, and so no knock on THIS movie. Just...so absurdly, ridiculously, marvelously dark.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
From the genius mind of the man who does political satire better than anyone... possibly ever... the writer/director of In The Loop/creator of Veep.

An absolutely BRUTAL satire of the chaos ensuing Stalin's death... that has political over-tones to not only the Trump administration, but really any strong-man, cult of personality figures in politics over recorded history.

It is both riotously funny, terrifying and violent as all get out.

An instant classic that immediately sits alongside Dr. Strangelove in political satire lore.
I didn't know this was made by the same guy who made In The Loop, which was flippin hilarious. This was good too, but not as funny as In The Loop. Plenty of great lines though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave