Dear David,

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by slanidrac16, Nov 10, 2019.

1. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

I won't pretend that I'm personal, close friends with DJ and his wife... however, I have attended his Mission 31 event three times now, AND, I had the amazing experience of winning an auction where he and Meghan had dinner in a private room with me and 6 of my guests, at a high-end steakhouse in Scottsdale. Behind closed door, they spent 3 hours with us and they were fantastic.

I can attest to the fact that Meghan is an extremely prominent figure in ALL of the decisions being made at home... and, with regard to DJ himself - how he eats and exercises, she is also very much involved. She is very passionate about health and, to her credit, she is also incredibly knowledgeable. Yes, she is a vegan. But she doesn't "push" DJ to follow her.

I have zero doubt that he is wrestling with trying to find a way - mentally, where he can be a solid contributor on the field and live up to his contract, while also balancing what that means with also being a very present husband and father. To his credit, he is deeply concerned about "being there' for his wife and kids... which, unfortunately, may also be his downfall as a NFL running back.

2. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Then you should be significantly more concerned. I am 5'10" and weigh about 190lbs. My guess is DJ stands at about 6'1" at most... and if you told me he weighs 210lbs, I'd believe it!

3. Rohinaz

Rohinaz Registered

I hope DJ returns to form. He was dominant a few years ago and we could use a brusing rb

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

At first I think you were going to quote Yogi.

5. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Different sport!

"Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical"... :p

AZ Native likes this.
  6. splitsecond

splitsecond Registered

I feel like it's probably one of those situations whee David is such a giving person that he ends up spreading his energies thin and he hasn't figured out how to get into the zone he needs to be in to be a monster on the field anymore, and if his wife is contributing she has no idea that she is. I really don't want to slam anyone's relationships and that's not my intent - I just know from experience how it can go.

7. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I think this is probably the best way to describe where DJ is at. I don't believe DJ will sign another contract in the NFL. I will not be shocked if he retires at the end of the season. I think he has earned enough money to be comfortable for the rest of his life and is less concerned about any sort of legacy he may have. Physically, I think he could make it work. Mentally and competitively, I think he is washed. He has pride, but the fire is gone.

b8rtm8nn and nashman like this.
  8. RON_IN_OC

RON_IN_OC https://www.ronevansrealty.com

I think Kent is reading this board.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

b8rtm8nn and daves like this.
  9. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

Wow that's cool that you got to hang out with him and his family. Amazing story, thanks for sharing.

82CardsGrad likes this.
  10. Dingding

Dingding Registered

DJ is going to have a lot of trouble not being #1.

I read a lot of "move him to WR" comments. David is a tweener. He can't get separation on cornerbacks. His bread and butter has been eating Linebackers alive. When he was a threat to run for big gains on corners or catch on linebackers he was elite. Now he's a runningback that can't run.

DJ is horrible at blocking. Do some google searches, he used to be in Arians dog house about it. Just today Kent Summers notes:
    "In the first quarter, Kingsbury played Johnson and Drake together at times, including on first down from the Buccaneers’ 42.

On that play, Johnson moved to the right side at the snap of the ball, apparently trying to draw attention that way. It appears his assignment was to block linebacker Shaquil Barrett.

Drake took the handoff and gained 4 yards. But the gain could have been double that had Johnson decided to either hit, or get in the way of, Barrett.

Johnson didn’t and Barrett made the tackle."

He's not going to do well with Drake on the field or as a "tight end" if he can't or won't block.

11. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Feel Bad For Tate

I am enjoying David Johnson getting benched. Maybe he will listen to his wife, retire and save the team some money

12. THESMEL

THESMEL Registered

Knock some sense into the officials

13. iLLmatiC

iLLmatiC Drive-by Poster

Anybody with a brain have figured that out. Cool experience for you though, I'm jealous.

14. THESMEL

THESMEL Registered

Gift wrap that sucker

15. dscher

dscher Registered

He is done. Sad.. but best of luck to him and his family. It was a good year or so while we had ya. (2016 that is)