Deandre Ayton facing 25 game suspension

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said he did not know what went in his body, or what he put in his body. In your scenario, he knew exactly what he put in his body, and for what purpose. That's the definition of intent. You're saying it was unintentional because he didn't know the masking agent he intended to use was banned? One, that's kind of naïve. Two, that doesn't negate his intent to use the masking agent. And what makes you so sure he was masking pot?

Ayton is pretty naive and immature. He's a 20 year old kid who was handed the world on a silver platter. I don't blame him for that, or rather hold it against him but he needs to do some growing up. He is only 20 so I'm not too worried about that. I think he'll come around in time.

Yes, in my scenario he knew what he was taking but he didn't know the ramifications of what he was taking. That's how he's able to say he didn't know he was consuming a banned product because he didn't realize it was banned until it was too late. Maybe that's not what happened but it still jives with his PR statement. That statement shouldn't be taken too seriously anyways. There's no doubt is people all looked it over and signed off, if they didn't write it for him initially. What he says doesn't really matter anymore. He did the time, he's paid the price, and hopefully it's all behind him. Coming out and saying in detail what happened exactly won't take games off his suspension, it's over. So he has no reason to go into detail about how taking the substance played out.

As far as him trying to mask pot, that's been a common theory discussed here. I'm not the first to mention it, it's been done in this thread numerous times and by multiple posters. I'm just going along with that idea. I hope that's all it was, if he was in fact looking to mask something. That beats steroids or another actual PED. That would be a sign of a lot more problems to come.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is pretty naive and immature. He's a 20 year old kid who was handed the world on a silver platter. I don't blame him for that, or rather hold it against him but he needs to do some growing up. He is only 20 so I'm not too worried about that. I think he'll come around in time.

Yes, in my scenario he knew what he was taking but he didn't know the ramifications of what he was taking. That's how he's able to say he didn't know he was consuming a banned product because he didn't realize it was banned until it was too late. Maybe that's not what happened but it still jives with his PR statement. That statement shouldn't be taken too seriously anyways. There's no doubt is people all looked it over and signed off, if they didn't write it for him initially. What he says doesn't really matter anymore. He did the time, he's paid the price, and hopefully it's all behind him. Coming out and saying in detail what happened exactly won't take games off his suspension, it's over. So he has no reason to go into detail about how taking the substance played out.

As far as him trying to mask pot, that's been a common theory discussed here. I'm not the first to mention it, it's been done in this thread numerous times and by multiple posters. I'm just going along with that idea. I hope that's all it was, if he was in fact looking to mask something. That beats steroids or another actual PED. That would be a sign of a lot more problems to come.

He knew. IMO it wasn't pot either. Nobody cares about Pot. The NBA basically doesn't care about Pot. It takes freaking 3 strikes before they do ANYTHING about it.

"If a player tests positive for marijuana, or if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty to, the use or possession of marijuana, he will be required to submit to treatment, counseling, and aftercare testing in the Program. A second violation will result in a $25,000 fine, a third violation will result in a 5-game suspension, and any subsequent violations will result in a suspension that is 5 games longer than the player’s immediately-preceding marijuana suspension."

He was suspended for 25 games. No way this was just for pot even if he was on his 3rd positive test. He wasn't being treated for high blood pressure or kidney disease. He was masking for something else IMO. His excuse is paper thin.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BUMP -- 'Gotta get this off my chest, as a long-time Suns fan.

AN OPEN LETTER TO DEANDRE AYTON:

DeAndre, you really messed things up. Monty came here with a wonderful opportunity
to bring success to the lowly Suns. And you took that from him and from the fans.

Mr. One & Done, your selfishness cost us in so many ways. As one of our two big time
scorers, you put undue pressure on Devin to lead by himself and he has been double
teamed from Game 2 on.

And with the Suns finally acquiring a big time Point Guard, you took away his major
option. Then we had to put the load on Aron Baynes, who handled it well until his
body wouldn't allow him to any more. And we had to play Frank Kaminsky at Center.
He was brought here to be a Power Forward.

And, when you do play, you're a Center who avoids contact. And defends best on
the perimeter.

When you came back, you were not in in-season shape compared to the Centers
you were up against. How could you be?

You are a disappointment to the Suns, to the fans and to the community. And to
the wonderful Bahamians whose reputation you represent.

When you return, I suggest you not consider yourself a Suns spokesman to the
Press. You haven't earned it.

Act like an adult and meet your responsibilities. Although NBA players are instant
millionaires, I believe that most are motivated by the desire to help their team win.

You have lived in San Diego, you have lived in Phoenix and you have lived in Tucson.
If you need help in acclimating to a culture different than the one in which you were
raised, visit a psychologist. Do what you have to turn around your disappointing
performance in the strongest basketball league in the world, the NBA.

Then I'll be the first to congratulate you as a key member of the Phoenix Suns, who
chose you with our only #1 pick in their history. Show us if you can earn that.

BC867