Deandre Ayton discussion

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's better than good. He had a rough start and then just really dominated the paint. He got zero help from the officials either.
The refs always give him crap fouls on defense that he’d never receive if he was on the offensive side of the ball. It’s ridiculous.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs always give him crap fouls on defense that he’d never receive if he was on the offensive side of the ball. It’s ridiculous.

He was fouled in the post multiple times but they don't count it for some reason. Maybe he needs to yell every time he is touched Lebron style

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns as a whole always get tagged.with crap calls. Ayton sees his share but its not exclusive to him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's better than good. He had a rough start and then just really dominated the paint. He got zero help from the officials either.
Yup, other than those first few awful possessions he dominated tonight at both ends of the floor.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favorite comment from the Heat an play by play tonight

“Here’s Ariza!”

“Takes on Ayton!”

After a pause. “ Ayton won”

Satisfying on several levels.

oh man... I wish I could have heard that.

Ariza... that signing was a head scratcher to me from Day 1. F that guy and the money he stole from Sarver.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
oh man... I wish I could have heard that.

Ariza... that signing was a head scratcher to me from Day 1. F that guy and the money he stole from Sarver.
Ask and you shall receive. Its at the 3:00 mark.

BTW. Listen to how many time the Heat announcers describe a player going right at Ayton and coming up empty.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BTW. Listen to how many time the Heat announcers describe a player going right at Ayton and coming up empty.

that slip to get in front at his man at 33 seconds was a thing of beauty. need to see that a lot more.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
That's the Ayton we need. We can beat any team in the league if he could do that on a regular basis.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It seems that whenever he gets 12+ shot attempts he has a good game. I know why Booker gets most of the shot attempts but I think Ayton needs to take at least 15 shots a game. He's shooting 60% from field so if he gets more shots he should be scoring around 20 ppg not including FT's. I thought Paul's addition would mean more shots for Ayton but most attempts are taken by the wings.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are only so many attempts available when running an offense at this speed. More shots for Ayton means less for someone else or a faster pace. Paul is already deferring his own scoring to others.

I don’t mind Ayton scoring 16-18 a game as long as he anchors the D and rebounds like last night. Put backs etc are huge.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did make a conscious effort to feed Ayton early. It was a matchup Monty wanted to exploit

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns going to Ayton early set the tone for the Heat game even if some of the initial efforts were not successful. It had the Heat thinking about him and it put Ayton in an aggressive mind set.

I still watch personal fouls on Ayton closely. When he doesn't get early fouls he is a different player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Normally Ayton would have been called for a personal foul against Bam at the 2:32 mark of the video.

They let him play last night.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that whenever he gets 12+ shot attempts he has a good game. I know why Booker gets most of the shot attempts but I think Ayton needs to take at least 15 shots a game. He's shooting 60% from field so if he gets more shots he should be scoring around 20 ppg not including FT's. I thought Paul's addition would mean more shots for Ayton but most attempts are taken by the wings.

I agree that he has good games when he's more involved but part of the reason he doesn't get involved often is on him. More than 75% of his attempts are taken without dribbling and within 2 seconds of receiving the ball. I know part of that is the offense but it also says something about his ability, or lack thereof, to create a good look for himself.

If he learned 2-3 moves inside to get him closer to the basket or shake loose from his defender then he'd be damn near unstoppable. Its on him to learn those moves. I doubt the coaching staff hasn't tried working with him in that regard but we haven't seen him apply himself inside offensively at this point.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that he has good games when he's more involved but part of the reason he doesn't get involved often is on him. More than 75% of his attempts are taken without dribbling and within 2 seconds of receiving the ball. I know part of that is the offense but it also says something about his ability, or lack thereof, to create a good look for himself.

If he learned 2-3 moves inside to get him closer to the basket or shake loose from his defender then he'd be damn near unstoppable. Its on him to learn those moves. I doubt the coaching staff hasn't tried working with him in that regard but we haven't seen him apply himself inside offensively at this point.
I don't think its a lack of post moves. The NBA is a jump shot game now. Its a recently commented topic by former NBA players and hosts on ESPN on the rise of 3 point shooting taking over the NBA. Ayton has always had post moves, his issue is he hasn't been aggressive enough or demanding the ball more in the post. Now that's not to say that he be intimidated by guys like Gobert, Embiid and other guys with length and strength and that may be the source of his passiveness.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look up his rookie year highlights for all his capabilities. You wonder what happened to him, he was projecting to be further along right now, but back then he was more of a focal piece.

So imo, I think this year Ayton thought of himself more as a role player, stepping back to Booker and CP3. He seemed happy with that but i think coaching and cp3 want more out of him as we progress into the season, realizing that we are one of the best teams needing a center to rely on offensively and defensively as we head toward the playoffs.

I'm not sure what else can motivate him to play at a high level most times rather than a few stretches here and there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns team is loaded with talent this season. It stands to reason individual stats might go down.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the majority of the season we’ve outrebounded opponents, but since Ayton’s rebounding has begun to suffer we are finding ourselves on the other end of that imbalance and it’s showing. Need more boards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been awesome this week. I'm starting to wonder when the refs are going to give him more respect.

It takes a long time to earn respect.from the refs. Ayton needs to continue playing at this level night in and night out for months before the refs start changing how they officiate him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He really has been awesome....... This is a great evolution we have been seeing. If he continues to grow and keeps himself out of foul trouble, this could get really interesting.

Dud games will happen, but he seems to be moving towards something special.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The Suns used to make a point of getting Ayton a lot of paint touches early in the game, but they've gone away from that. Lately it's been Booker who's been getting those early play calls. Wonder if it's time to switch that up again. If Ayton can get going, it will open up the floor for everyone.

He still fumbles a lot of catchable passes, but does seem to be improving in that area.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the majority of the season we’ve outrebounded opponents, but since Ayton’s rebounding has begun to suffer we are finding ourselves on the other end of that imbalance and it’s showing. Need more boards.

I have seen teams as of late being more focused on boxing him out. Before, most teams were not even laying a body on him. That means, some of the other guys are going to have to step up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose