Deandre Ayton discussion

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For me, immediate impact would go to Walter Davis followed by Alvan Adams, Amare, Marion, Larry Nance and then Booker. The only thing that keeps DA out of that list is that he only played 109 games through his first two seasons, otherwise he's probably no lower than 2nd when you consider his defensive impact. Regardless, right now my expectations are that Booker and DA will eventually be first and second on our all time list of best draft picks.
I think this is a good probability. And it’s such an enticing projection.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For me, immediate impact would go to Walter Davis followed by Alvan Adams, Amare, Marion, Larry Nance and then Booker. The only thing that keeps DA out of that list is that he only played 109 games through his first two seasons, otherwise he's probably no lower than 2nd when you consider his defensive impact. Regardless, right now my expectations are that Booker and DA will eventually be first and second on our all time list of best draft picks.

Adams and Davis were still playing when I reached fan age but I missed the beginnings of their careers. Would love to have seen them. As a lifelong fan I wish I could have seen it all!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adams and Davis were still playing when I reached fan age but I missed the beginnings of their careers. Would love to have seen them. As a lifelong fan I wish I could have seen it all!

Me too, TV coverage in the early years wasn't what it later became. I had to settle for "listening" to it all. Fortunately we had Al McCoy to deliver a clear radio picture. I'm not sure when you started following them but AA wasn't quite the same player after his first 2 or 3 years but Davis was special all through his Phoenix tenure.

As a Suns fan, I didn't realize there was such a thing as defense but I thought, offensively at least, Sweet D was significantly better as a small forward. After his first 3 years though they moved him to the 2 which is where he played for most of the rest of his career.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Me too, TV coverage in the early years wasn't what it later became. I had to settle for "listening" to it all. Fortunately we had Al McCoy to deliver a clear radio picture. I'm not sure when you started following them but AA wasn't quite the same player after his first 2 or 3 years but Davis was special all through his Phoenix tenure.

As a Suns fan, I didn't realize there was such a thing as defense but I thought, offensively at least, Sweet D was significantly better as a small forward. After his first 3 years though they moved him to the 2 which is where he played for most of the rest of his career.
I couldn’t tell you exactly which year I started being aware of the team, but the players I remember are Davis, Macy, and Nance, so we’re talking sometime between 81-82 and 84-85.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to have insider to read it. Pretty good start with Kokoskov kicking basketballs at Ayton.
Seems to me aside from the drills the thing he learned this season compared to last is watching film. Studying up on players tendencies both the PG and front court players who run pick and rolls. Interesting stuff. He credit CP3 will helping him with that film study.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seems to me aside from the drills the thing he learned this season compared to last is watching film. Studying up on players tendencies both the PG and front court players who run pick and rolls. Interesting stuff. He credit CP3 will helping him with that film study.
What I find exciting is he is still learning. He is far from polished, so he still has upside to his game. I can't imagine what he will develop into!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose