DCU: The Flash (2023)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Doubt that. He’ll get carte Blanche to do whatever he wants with Supes, especially with Guardians being one of the lone standouts in recent comic memory. but if Supes doesn’t go like gangbusters, the noose will start to tighten.
I didn't mean he wouldn't do Supes, but that he'd already be behind the eight ball heading into that movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean he wouldn't do Supes, but that he'd already be behind the eight ball heading into that movie.
Yeah… I understood that first part. Still don’t think a Blue Beetle movie from a previous regime is gonna have any effect on him.

The pressure is there regardless. That whole universe sinks or swims on a brand new Superman swing. If it doesn’t hit, that universe is done before it even really gets started. I mean… there will be more movies that are already planned, but the universe will basically be stillborn.

Especially with the Elseworld franchises being robust financially.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The actor they casted as The Flash is laughably bad. They should’ve used the kid from the tv show.
I love the guy from the CW series, but after so many years of doing it, I think I read he is over playing that character.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the Ezra Miller factor. His actions turned plenty of people away too.
Agree that was a factor for sure. The Snyderverse simply hasn't lit it up at the box office overall and I know some diehard DC fans that simply didn't see a point to this film since Gunn was throwing it all out anyway.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Agree that was a factor for sure. The Snyderverse simply hasn't lit it up at the box office overall and I know some diehard DC fans that simply didn't see a point to this film since Gunn was throwing it all out anyway.
I’ll probably watch for Keaton once it’s on Max but I have no interest in going to the theater to watch a universe that’s being replaced entirely.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the Ezra Miller factor. His actions turned plenty of people away too.
Not only that, but for most of the viewing public, they saw The Flash only really one tone, in a God-awful Justice League movie where he was the 4th lead and annoying as hell.

To think all of a sudden, after 6 years, people not only would rush out to see a movie revolving around what was a bit character no one even really liked, but MULTIPLE versions of that annoying character was kinda assinine.

Spider-Man was perfect with the multiverse story because they brought 3 stars together, reprising roles that spanned three different generations. Spiderverse was amazing because they created a great character to center the story and then the multi-Spideys around him were awesome.

This movie had a Batman that was never beloved, another beloved Batman who was basically just used as a prop, they never shared the screen like the other examples… and Supergirl who never existed.

Just terrible decision making all the way around.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only that, but for most of the viewing public, they saw The Flash only really one tone, in a God-awful Justice League movie where he was the 4th lead and annoying as hell.

To think all of a sudden, after 6 years, people not only would rush out to see a movie revolving around what was a bit character no one even really liked, but MULTIPLE versions of that annoying character was kinda assinine.

Spider-Man was perfect with the multiverse story because they brought 3 stars together, reprising roles that spanned three different generations. Spiderverse was amazing because they created a great character to center the story and then the multi-Spideys around him were awesome.

This movie had a Batman that was never beloved, another beloved Batman who was basically just used as a prop, they never shared the screen like the other examples… and Supergirl who never existed.

Just terrible decision making all the way around.
I can’t help but think the timing is disastrous. Had it not already been announced everything is going to be rebooted this might have done better.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, still scratching my head why they didn’t use it to kick off the new universe versus the half-assed method they took.

They could have boosted buzz for Blue Beetle, what with it being the first movie in a new universe, and hinted at character introductions versus a wasted Clooney cameo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read an article on Movieweb that adds fuel to the fire for the idea that one of the biggest reasons this movie failed was because people, especially women, loathed Ezra Miller.

73% of the audience was men. It’s usually more of a 55-45% split, sometimes 60-40 for comic book movies. But 73-27%? Yes, men go to comic book movies more than women, but that disparity in the genders stands out for all the wrong reasons. Women rejected this movie wholesale and I’m guessing the majority of them have no idea who James Gunn is or his plans for the universe.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just read an article on Movieweb that adds fuel to the fire for the idea that one of the biggest reasons this movie failed was because people, especially women, loathed Ezra Miller.

73% of the audience was men. It’s usually more of a 55-45% split, sometimes 60-40 for comic book movies. But 73-27%? Yes, men go to comic book movies more than women, but that disparity in the genders stands out for all the wrong reasons. Women rejected this movie wholesale and I’m guessing the majority of them have no idea who James Gunn is or his plans for the universe.
Forget about disliking him for being a creep, I can’t stand his whininess in this role. From his first appearance in JL I wanted Superman to punch him in the face and cave in his entire cranium.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Forget about disliking him for being a creep, I can’t stand his whininess in this role. From his first appearance in JL I wanted Superman to punch him in the face and cave in his entire cranium.
I thought he was quite good in this movie.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was thinking of seeing this just because I like the Flash in general. One of the comics I had as a kid.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to not wait for Max for this one and paid the $20 to watch it on demand last week.

My thoughts:

Act 1. The opening is just wretched. From Ezra seeming like a butthole entitled customer at a Starbucks to the entire food monitor thing. The dude has super speed, he can get snacks if he needs them. Why doesn't Bruce give him a snack allowance if he is going to be tapping him all the time for missions. It seemed awkward and overwrought and decidedly not super. The baby hospital thing was cartoonish. It was like a lame attempt at what Quicksilver already 2x except that was actually funny and not with terrible CGI babies and dogs.

I was almost out after the first 10 minutes. Basically the only good thing about the start was Batfleck and Wonder Woman.

That theme would continue throughout the entire film. Barry himself tells you he is a very secondary character like 10 minutes in and for whatever odd reason they just LEANED into that.

Act 2. After the cartoony start, the movie tries to be a Flash movie by getting into Barry's life and his primary motivations. This really should be the real start of the movie. Just completely cut the Starbucks / Hospital scene and the movie is 5x better. Barry follows the Flashpoint. And then you meet younger, happier Barry who is apparently a complete moron and can't do anything without his mama. Congrats Barry, you can save your mom to be a stupid narcissist. This makes this Act 2 super tiresome again.

Mid Movie Rant: Whomever wrote this script like this really failed because I despised this version of the Flash and that greatly weakens the impact of the ending. You make this version of Barry a super likable and successful at virtually everything he does. He's charitable, friendly, confident and well spoken. He's Barry's version of Bruce Wayne, who OG Barry admires so much. Barry got his perfect life and thus was a perfect him. He certainly shouldn't be living with 5 college burnouts. Instead we get Moron Barry and even the OG Barry can't stand him.

Act 3. Now just like in Act 1, the real characters arrive. Keaton is awesome as Batman and the new Supergirl is great too. Just like in act 1, the real hero is Batman and the strong female. Non powered Barry and Moron Barry are pure secondary characters. Really enjoyed Supergirl beating up her captors. The whole rescue scene shines, as does the interludes at the Batcave. This part of the movie is good but it would have been way better if any version of the flash was the star here

Act 4. The big fight with Zod. This part of the movie was decent as a climax. I again thought that Supergirl and Batman were the main players for half of it. Act 4 could have been excellent if you had a younger Barry, who has led this perfect life, is brilliant, capable and has never tasted failure suddenly tasted failure. Now how this pseudo reverse Flash ends up showing up at the end makes a load of sense. Also, his sacrifice at the end means more because you really liked this guy.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty fun Batman movie, a great new Supergirl movie, and a pretty meh Flash movie. I can see why this generated zero buzz beyond the Crisis Upon Infinite Batman's.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The CW Flash makes this way better from what it sounds like. That Barry was likable but his self doubt was his blind spot. In the end I enjoyed that series.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to not wait for Max for this one and paid the $20 to watch it on demand last week.

My thoughts:

Act 1. The opening is just wretched. From Ezra seeming like a butthole entitled customer at a Starbucks to the entire food monitor thing. The dude has super speed, he can get snacks if he needs them. Why doesn't Bruce give him a snack allowance if he is going to be tapping him all the time for missions. It seemed awkward and overwrought and decidedly not super. The baby hospital thing was cartoonish. It was like a lame attempt at what Quicksilver already 2x except that was actually funny and not with terrible CGI babies and dogs.

I was almost out after the first 10 minutes. Basically the only good thing about the start was Batfleck and Wonder Woman.

That theme would continue throughout the entire film. Barry himself tells you he is a very secondary character like 10 minutes in and for whatever odd reason they just LEANED into that.

Act 2. After the cartoony start, the movie tries to be a Flash movie by getting into Barry's life and his primary motivations. This really should be the real start of the movie. Just completely cut the Starbucks / Hospital scene and the movie is 5x better. Barry follows the Flashpoint. And then you meet younger, happier Barry who is apparently a complete moron and can't do anything without his mama. Congrats Barry, you can save your mom to be a stupid narcissist. This makes this Act 2 super tiresome again.

Mid Movie Rant: Whomever wrote this script like this really failed because I despised this version of the Flash and that greatly weakens the impact of the ending. You make this version of Barry a super likable and successful at virtually everything he does. He's charitable, friendly, confident and well spoken. He's Barry's version of Bruce Wayne, who OG Barry admires so much. Barry got his perfect life and thus was a perfect him. He certainly shouldn't be living with 5 college burnouts. Instead we get Moron Barry and even the OG Barry can't stand him.

Act 3. Now just like in Act 1, the real characters arrive. Keaton is awesome as Batman and the new Supergirl is great too. Just like in act 1, the real hero is Batman and the strong female. Non powered Barry and Moron Barry are pure secondary characters. Really enjoyed Supergirl beating up her captors. The whole rescue scene shines, as does the interludes at the Batcave. This part of the movie is good but it would have been way better if any version of the flash was the star here

Act 4. The big fight with Zod. This part of the movie was decent as a climax. I again thought that Supergirl and Batman were the main players for half of it. Act 4 could have been excellent if you had a younger Barry, who has led this perfect life, is brilliant, capable and has never tasted failure suddenly tasted failure. Now how this pseudo reverse Flash ends up showing up at the end makes a load of sense. Also, his sacrifice at the end means more because you really liked this guy.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty fun Batman movie, a great new Supergirl movie, and a pretty meh Flash movie. I can see why this generated zero buzz beyond the Crisis Upon Infinite Batman's.

We just got around to watching this and even though I'm a lot less critical of these types of movies than most of you guys, I'll say your review nailed the major points, Chris.

It's a decent flick, but too hard to put real life Ezra out of your mind to fully suspend disbelief and enjoy the thing. The Mrs knows nothing about his real life tribulations, and enjoyed the movie but said after, "Why did they choose this guy for the main character? He seems creepy af."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave