Dbacks vs. Phillies Series Thread (05/07-05/09)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dbacks start a 3-game series vs. the vastly underachieving Phillies (who are at this moment of posting 13-17, in 4th place, 6 GB the Braves in the NL East). Jimmy Rollins (not Ryan Howard) has been carrying the offensive load while crafty veteran Jamie Moyer and up-and-coming Cole Hamels has helped solidified their starting rotation.

This series is crucial for the Dbacks because after Wednesday's matinee game (and Thursday's day off), they embark on a 10-day 9-game 3-city road trip versus the Astros, Rockies, and Pirates.

Doug Davis gets the start tomorrow and he has made tremendous progress over his last few outings. Similar to most of his fellow starters, he's been victimized by a lack of run support and mental lapses by the defense behind him.

He's matched-up against Freddy Garcia, who has struggled during the beginning stages of his transition into the NL. Let's examine just the basic stats:

You must be registered for see images attach

DOUG DAVIS
2-3 2.25 (28/19 Ks/BB Ratio)

vs.

You must be registered for see images attach

FREDDY GARCIA
1-2 6.05 (19/6 Ks/BB Ratio)

Garcia has been horrid thus far for the Phillies who anticipated him becoming the ace-of-the-staff after above-average seasons with Mariners and White Sox. Yet, it does take awhile for AL career pitchers to make the proper adjustments into the other league.

If the Dbacks want to finally jump-start their stagnant offense, then this is the pitcher they must "tee-off" on. Melvin better continue hitting Young lead-off and he should eventually place Quentin in the clean-up spot with Byrnes and CoJack following him in that order.

The Phillies can be exactly what the Dbacks ordered in many ways. A team whose offense has been lacking, starting pitching has been very erratic, with their only reliable closer on the DL. If the Dbacks fail to win this series, then the brass must begin to question Bob Melvin's fate. Time to capitalize against a struggling team..especially w/in the friendly confines of your own home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's matched-up against Freddy Garcia, who has struggled during the beginning stages of his transition into the NL. Let's examine just the basic stats:

Well, a rather freak accident might prevent Garcia from starting after all:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-phillies-garciahurt&prov=ap&type=lgns

Garcia injured in outfield collision with equipment cart
By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
May 6, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Phillies right-hander Freddy Garcia was injured Sunday night when he ran into an equipment cart that had stopped along the warning track in San Francisco's ballpark.
Garcia bruised his left leg in the collision, raising question as to whether he will be able to make his scheduled start Monday night in the opener of a three-game series at Arizona. Garcia, who was running to try to catch a fly ball, toppled onto the cart used by the grounds crew and was clearly in pain. He was quickly carted off the field on the vehicle.

I'm not upset. I'm just kind of curious why it was out there during our batting practice," Philadelphia general manager Pat Gillick said in the clubhouse, before his team concluded a four-game series against the Giants. "He has a contusion on his leg. They have him iced down. There's no fracture of any kind. We'll all have to wait." Jorge Costa, the Giants' senior vice president of ballpark operations, said the club would look into its procedure in regards to the cart being on the field during batting practice.
"It's never been an issue. He yelled and couldn't stop," Costa said. "For eight seasons, we've been going from the Phillies' bullpen to left. We're sorry it happened."
Gillick said the Phillies might know more later Sunday but perhaps not until Monday.
"This is the kind of thing that could get sore and stiffen up overnight, so we have to keep tabs on that," Gillick said.
If Garcia is not able to go, Gillick said it would be up to manager Charlie Manuel and pitching coach Rich Dubee to select a starter.
Garcia, who turns 31 next month, is 1-2 with a 6.05 ERA in four starts this year, his first with the Phillies after playing his first eight big league seasons in the American League with the Seattle Mariners and Chicago White Sox.

Hamels started tonight's game... I believe Eaton is scheduled for Tuesday and Moyer for Wednesday. So, perhaps Brett Myers would start in place of Garcia. We shall see.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brandon Lyon can't hold onto a 3-2 lead as the Phillies score with two outs in the 8th to tie it.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 4-3 as Q gets the game winner. Papa Grande gets his league leading 12th save!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Orlando Hudson had his consecutive games reaching base snapped. He had reached base every game this season until tonight which was 33 games.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Without question, the recurring theme here will be the middle relief. This bullpen is in such a state of dissaray, I can't even get mad. 3-6 so far on this road trip. Not a good look.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byrnes hits a solo shot that travelled 473 feet. 1-0 Diamondbacks in the third.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3-2 Diamondbacks in the bottom of the 7th as Tony Clark hit a gigantic home run off the facade in right field.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clark's home run went 453 feet. Two bombs tonight for the Diamondbacks.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 3-2 as Pena gets the save!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You guys pretty much can get the brooms out tonight. Moyer, who's prolly our best pitcher will do work, but'll get no run support. 6 1/2 back is it now? Wow, just wow.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate Melvin! He brings in Medders in the 7th and Howard hits a grand slam to make it 4-3. Medders has given up 6 home runs in 15 innings. Send him to Tucson and fire Melvin. This will be a horrible loss if they don't come back.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, its all Melvin's fault... I'm so glad we believe in player accountability. Aside from the home runs Medders has done a decent job (ERA in the fours) and the trio of Pena/Valverde/Lyon have seen a lot of action recently.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not even going to say anything bad about Conor Jackson, I'll let his 5 RBI's and continued suckiness in the field speak for itself

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not even going to say anything bad about Conor Jackson, I'll let his 5 RBI's and continued suckiness in the field speak for itself

It's time to send Conor down to Tucson.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll take that. Nice Homer RH. Still was a poor road trip. Home for 10 now. We'll see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson