Dbacks vs. Mets Series Thread (05/03-05/06)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Dbacks are poised to return back to the friendly confines of Chase Field to take on the Mets for a 4-game series after the Dbacks managed to take only 1 out of 3 vs. the Dodgers. Again, the Dodgers pitchers completely dominated while the Dbacks squandered many opportunities.

Tomorrow series opener matches the rookie phenom vs. the crafty veteran who similar to fine wine continues to get better as he ages. Here's a brief look at the pitching duel:

You must be registered for see images attach

MICAH OWINGS
1-1 2.93 14/6 (Ks/BB Ratio)

vs.

You must be registered for see images attach

TOM GLAVINE
3-1 2.80 18/13 (Ks/BB Ratio)

The glaring question... will Owings be on a limited pitch-count since this is obviously his first outing in a Dbacks uniform since 4/17? The Dbacks bull-pen has somewhat been over-extended lately, so I believe that Brian Barden will be demoted to clear a roster space for Owings when he's officially reactivated. They already sent down Eveland today so Barder could take over for the injured Chad Tracy. It's not exactly clear if either Tracy will be able to play, however, Tony Clark at 1B seems very plausible.

The Dbacks bats obviously must have another resurgence. It just seems they've been Dr Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde as of late. Just too inconsistent. Perhaps that is typical for a young team, but even the veterans are struggling. Is this again another instance of Melvin not using his personnel in the best manner that suits the team? More than likely.

This will be a start of a crucial 7-game homestand that also features a 3-game series against Ryan Howard and the Philadelphia Phillies. I'll predict a 3-4 game record and then the Dbacks will embark on a 11-day, 9-game road-trip which have the Dbacks in Houston, Colorado, and Pittsburgh. Those series should be intriguing since the aforementioned 3 are inferior to the Dbacks and shouldn't pose as major obstacles, however, we must not get too far ahead since the Mets and Phillies are 2 teams not to reckon with.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
After losing to the Dodgers again it would be really nice to win this series. Hopefully Owings can continue his great pitching and we can start hitting again.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have togive him props when it's due and Snyder gets it tonight. He just went yard for a 2-run homer and the Diamondbacks are winning 3-2 in the 5th. Micah is doing pretty good.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hudson goes deep and the Diamondbacks are up 4-3 after six.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Idiot Valverde has the go ahead run on 1st and tying run on 2nd with 1 out in the 9th

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Fat Potato has failed us.

The charade is over it's official.

He SUCKS!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
....and then he walks 63 year old Julio Franco on 4 pitches. Get the cane!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, that tactical genius by the name of Bob Melvin brought in Tony Clark into the game for defensive purposes and he promptly committed an error which lead to one of the runs.

I am sorry, however, please oh please terminate Melvin soon or else this team will soon reach lower depths that it will never recover from.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also, that tactical genius by the name of Bob Melvin brought in Tony Clark into the game for defensive purposes and he promptly committed an error which lead to one of the runs.

yeah I conveniently left out that fact :D

Owings should be 4-1 right now

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I conveniently left out that fact :D

Owings should be 4-1 right now

Yeah, I know why you did! :D I agree with your stance on CoJack. Oh lord, but what other options are there? No trades seem to be on the horizon.

True, I know many will just say, it's still too premature to panic, but the opposition will continue to exploit the fact that the Dbacks lack that true consistent power source. Also, why bat CoJack #2 in the line-up when that's meant for players who are able to work the count deep and are spray-hitters? Melvin and his nonsense just continues to drag this team down. He should get ejected every game so the true manager of the team will be able to implement more logical strategy.

Yes, Melvin isn't suited to be a ML manager, but he's better off in the AL since there you don't require as much hands-on management. Lord, I will be so elated the day the Dbacks conduct that press conference to announce Melvin's dismissal.

It's not if as though Melvin was given a mulligan this year. They surrounded the younger talent with solid veterans and built what is the best starting rotation in the NL West and perhaps w/in the top-5 in the NL in general. He was given the talent to win now, but it seems it's all beginning to unravel and will continue to do so.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What sucks is this team is winning just enough to keep Melvin's job, but the ignorant management mistakes are so glaring. I would take Bob Brenly back at this point, at least he lost interest in the 8th inning and everything usually worked itself out in the end

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sucks is this team is winning just enough to keep Melvin's job, but the ignorant management mistakes are so glaring. I would take Bob Brenly back at this point, at least he lost interest in the 8th inning and everything usually worked itself out in the end

Yeah, that's what unfortunately happened last year. The Dbacks obviously got off to that fast start, but it became all for naught after the Jason Grimsley fiasco. However, a better manager wouldn't have allowed such a collapse that the team endured. A better leader/manager would have advised the team not to allow for that to be a major distraction..especially since Grimsley had a minimal role on the roster anyways. Then, they were in contention up until August which forced the Dbacks to extend Melvin's contract to avoid him being lame duck. I know I've mentioned that several times before, however, that's the sole reason he was retained.

I am just wondering if Melvin is a Moorad or Kendrick guy? Reason why I pose this is that there was a split between the 2 when it came to hiring either Backman or Melvin and of course we all know what transpired there.

I hope Josh Byrnes has more input on who the manager should be because Melvin doesn't specialize in sabermetrics and having 2 conflicting schools of thought can pose as problem in the long-run. That's another reason why I contend Melvin's days may soon be numbered. I think Gibson is ideal for sabermetrics emphasis because he is keen on the fundamentals, focuses on the little things..that spells out "small-ball", but it seems more apparent that Melvin cannot grasp the concept of that. Again, he's better suited for the Earl Weaver approach of management which most of you recall as the 3-run HR, however, the Dbacks obviously don't have that power which makes Melvin further helpless.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Can't trust a pitcher whose gut hangs over his belt. Maybe our trainer should recommend Papa Fatso practicing his celebratory dancing for 45 minutes a day at home and call it cardio.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't trust a pitcher whose gut hangs over his belt.

Interesting you mentioned that. I can even pull out a thread from around '04 that you and I discussed that very topic.

Does the Dbacks have the worst Strength & Conditioning coach in the league? Most of the relievers for over the past few years have been out-of-shape and why do most of the position players keep on suffering from lingering injuries? Should the Dbacks contact John Lott? I think so.....

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score

I am sorry, however, please oh please terminate Melvin soon or else this team will soon reach lower depths that it will never recover from.
It wasn't Melvin's fault. Clark is our best defensive 1st baseman, but everyone, heck even O-Dawg, makes fielding mistakes.

Valverde blew it, but I won't cuss him out because he has been pretty good this year. If he starts doing it regularly then that's different, but making 10 out of 12 save chances in a little more than a month is very good. We've had so many comeback victories that they were bound to catch up to us.

Last edited:

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
It wasn't Melvin's fault. Clark is our best defensive 1st baseman, but everyone, heck even O-Dawg, makes fielding mistakes.

Valverde blew it, but I won't cuss him out because he has been pretty good this year. If he starts doing it regularly then that's different, but making 10 out of 12 save chances in a little more than a month is very good. We've had so many comeback victories that they were bound to catch up to us.

He hasn't been that good. A lot of his saves have been of the nail biter variety this time it just happened to bite him in the ass.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, Melvin isn't suited to be a ML manager, but he's better off in the AL since there you don't require as much hands-on management.
He's been-there-done-that, and it did not work out.

As far as preferring Brenly over Melvin . . . who did Melvin serve under as Bench Coach? Bob Brenly, and his 135 different lineups in a season.

Melvin is doing what Brenly taught him.

Let's look ahead. We have two potential Managers on the staff right now, of course, in Chip Hale (baseball's best Minor League manager last year) and Kirk Gibson.

How long will management wait to pull a switch?

Edit: Now that I've posted the first paragraph, I'm drawing a mental blank. It was the A.L. that Melvin managed in, wasn't it?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's been-there-done-that, and it did not work out.

As far as preferring Brenly over Melvin . . . who did Melvin serve under as Bench Coach? Bob Brenly, and his 135 different lineups in a season.

Melvin is doing what Brenly taught him.

Let's look ahead. We have two potential Managers on the staff right now, of course, in Chip Hale (baseball's best Minor League manager last year) and Kirk Gibson.

How long will management wait to pull a switch?

Edit: Now that I've posted the first paragraph, I'm drawing a mental blank. It was the A.L. that Melvin managed in, wasn't it?
It was. In Seattle.