Dbacks vs. Dodgers Series Thread (4/30-5/2)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the Dbacks riding high on a 5-game winning streak travel out to Chavez/Ravine to take on the dreaded Dodgers and former Dback Luis Gonzalez.

The Dbacks are trying to avenge from the Dodgers 2-game sweep earlier this month in AZ when the Dbacks offense was completely stifled.

Game 1 features what should be an excellent pitchers duel as Brandon Webb takes on Randy Wolf.

Here's the basic stats of this match-up between 2 crafty pitchers:

You must be registered for see images attach

BRANDON WEBB
1-1 3.60
34/13 (K/BB Ratio)

vs.

You must be registered for see images attach

RANDY WOLF
3-2 4.20
31/7 (K/BB Ratio)

Randy Wolf is left-handed, so here's my projected line-up w/out the injured Conor Jackson

1) Young-CF
2) Hudson-2B
3) Callaspo-3B
4) Byrnes-CF
5) Tracy-1B
6) Quentin-RF
7) Drew-SS
8) Snyder-C

Brandon Webb must obviously pitch-up to his CY Level this game because Wolf will be dominant against that line-up which more than likely will be in the free-swinging mode.

It is a crucial series since the Dbacks must prove they're at the level of the Dodgers. The Dodgers are the only team in the NL West that has the absolute talent to run-away with the division, however, the Dbacks are still the unknown at this time and we know their potential, but just hope they live-up to it.

I predict the Dbacks will win Game 1 4-2 by some timely clutch hitting by Hudson. It just seems every night a different player comes through and Hudson knowing how critical this series is in setting the tone will flourish.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
You forgot the stats for Wolf. :(

This is a golden opportunity to take over the division. They need to win this series. I know it's a long season, but a divisional series is still huge.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot the stats for Wolf. :(

This is a golden opportunity to take over the division. They need to win this series. I know it's a long season, but a divisional series is still huge.

I pressed return too early, so had to post the remainder of my pre-series summary in edit mode.

Anyways, I agree (and reiterating what I wrote earlier),... if they can be a "must series" in late Apr/early May, this is the one. If the Dbacks manage to capture the 1st game.. then LOOK OUT.... They will continue to build-on that momentum that can carry a team towards the pennant...Especially one filled with such younger/hungry talent and veterans that want to prove their worth/keep.

It's no question the Dbacks starting staff equals their rivals, but again.. the unknown of how much these younger uber prospects can live-up to their potential of course will separate them from the rest. The bull-pen has been solid (except for Valverde always making everything more interesting). Manager.. well.. we all know our feelings on that. Perhaps Melvin can somehow prove us wrong..that remains to be seen.

After the Dodgers series, they have a nice long 8 game home-stand against the Mets and Phillies which will serve as another ultimate test. May has been a month the Dbacks have done relatively well in recent years, so let's hope that remains true and they can build-off of that.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dodgers used six relief pitchers in their 17 inning win against the Padres.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young leads off the game with a home run. Chris is really starting to get more comfortable.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
At least Melvin woke up and put Young in the leadoff spot. Our offense has been notably better since he made the change. IMO it's not only better for Young but also Drew who isn't suited to leading off.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
Randy Wolf is left-handed, so here's my projected line-up w/out the injured Conor Jackson

1) Young-CF
2) Hudson-2B
3) Callaspo-3B
4) Byrnes-CF
5) Tracy-1B
6) Quentin-RF
7) Drew-SS
8) Snyder-C

Actual:
1) Young-CF
2) Drew-SS
3) Hudson-2B
4) Byrnes-LF
5) Tracy-3B
6) Clark-1B
7) Quentin-RF
8) Snyder-C

I cannot figure out again why Melvin would have Drew hitting 3rd vs. a LH pitcher when he's been struggling against them all season. That is why I placed him lower in the line-up so he wouldn't have as many ABs as he will. Sure enough, Drew K'ed in his first AB.

Clark has been horrid from the right side of the player which is why I figured it would be best to have Tracy at 1B and Callaspo playing 3B.

At least Melvin has continued to hit Young at lead-off since he's again Rickey Henderson Part II.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hudson is a staple in the 3 hole for the season

This would be my ideal lineup:

Young
Callaspo
Hudson
Byrnes
Clark
Quentin
Drew
Snyder

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The D'backs tried to get Randy Wolf a number of times, he's wicked on lefties

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Byrnes drives in Hudson with a double. Run on Gonzo every time.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actual:
1) Young-CF
2) Drew-SS
3) Hudson-2B
4) Byrnes-LF
5) Tracy-3B
6) Clark-1B
7) Quentin-RF
8) Snyder-C

I cannot figure out again why Melvin would have Drew hitting 3rd vs. a LH pitcher when he's been struggling against them all season. That is why I placed him lower in the line-up so he wouldn't have as many ABs as he will. Sure enough, Drew K'ed in his first AB.

Clark has been horrid from the right side of the player which is why I figured it would be best to have Tracy at 1B and Callaspo playing 3B.

At least Melvin has continued to hit Young at lead-off since he's again Rickey Henderson Part II.
Um, they showed a graphic that Drew was hitting .350 vs left handers - much better than right handers. Did they have that wrong?

And it is now 5-0 DBacks in the top of the 6th. Two-hitter for Webby so far.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Young with a home run, 7-0. Looks like we are taking over the division for now.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's notoriously difficult to hit a homer at night at Dodger Stadium.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Brandon Webb batting for himself, up 7-1 in the 8th, why? Why not give someone else a chance to get an AB in, and tell Brandon Webb thanks for the great performance?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Six in a row for the first place Diamondbacks! Let's keep it going.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brandon Webb batting for himself, up 7-1 in the 8th, why? Why not give someone else a chance to get an AB in, and tell Brandon Webb thanks for the great performance?
Not only that, but he didn't even go out in the bottom half! Sometimes - or most times - Melvin is just really dumb. Kind of like Brenly letting Schilling hit for himself in the WS....

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nice win for the dbacks glad to see we finally scored some runs for webb he deserved this win gj dbacks lets keep this streak going :)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Going to the game tonight. I think we're in the 3rd row behind the 1st base dugout...got passes for the stadium club, too.

Anyone else gonna be there?

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Not only that, but he didn't even go out in the bottom half!

That is a strange one. You don't want to risk Webb getting hit by a pitch either.

But a great win! Sure is nice to have a blowout for a change. Let's do it again! :thumbup:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six in a row since Melvin was all but fired on this board. :)

The fans who do this will continue to do so, even if the team makes the playoffs. Good moves by Melvin will be ignored, the bad ones emphasized, and approving comments given grudgingly.

God love you pessimists, I include myself as one. It's our way of coping with disappointment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose