Dbacks Hall not sure if team is going to sellers or buyers

Discussion in 'Arizona Diamondbacks' started by Ronin, Jul 9, 2019.

1. clpp01

clpp01 Free Agent

I think Heyman's numbers are a little off. Greinke has about 60 million left through 2021 with approx 10 million left this year give or take a little and then 25 million a year for '20 & '21. Problem with Greinke which is where his trade value nose dives is that the club had to do some creative accounting in order to sign him so even after his contract expires in 2021 the Dbacks thanks to deferring nearly a 1/3rd of his salary every year will still be paying him over 12 million a year between 2022-2026.

2. Azjose86

Azjose86 Registered

I think at some point this team needs to look at themselves and evaluate who is at fault for the pitching/bullpen issues.

Is it the Gm failing to get players? The manager for not using them properly or the pitching coach for failing to get them ready?

In addition, they have to realize that this is a .500 team and without making changes they will continue to be that. They need to make some changes to pump new life into this team and prospects that can help the future of this team.

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

They are in such a weird place imo. They are squarely .500. Haven’t had long losing streaks where they were substantially below .500 or win streaks where they were substantially above .500. But even if teams ahead of them in the standings won the games they have not yet played to equal the dbacks games played they’d be no worse than 2 games back. And they’ve got the best run differential of wildcard contenders. And they’ve played the least amount of home games (although their record at home is obviously less than stellar) of the wildcard contenders - a lot less then some of the others. But it doesn’t seem, as currently constructed, that they are likely to go on a run to end the year - and I think that’s what the two teams that eventually secure the wildcards are going to do. Just a weird year/team/position to be at trade deadline.

Ronin likes this.
  4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

This team will collapse down the stretch if they do not shore up the bullpen. Our bullpen is the main reason we aren't running away with the wild card. Another dependable SP wouldn't hurt to go with Greinke only problem is the good 3 month rentals all play for contenders. There is no reason to start dipping into the farm now that it potentially could be the best in baseball in a year or two if our top prospects continue their rapid development. I say just play out with what we got, they are at least entertaining enough to keep out attention plus you won't get any decent returns for guys like Jones, Holland or Dyson so might as well just let their deals expire and hope they end the year strong because they are going to be playing hard for a contract next year.

5. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed

Yes we are close to the last wildcard spot but with 4 -5 teams ahead of us, the odds are not in our favor. The math is not in our favor.

6. az jam

az jam Registered User

Getting starting pitching will do no good with our bullpen. I agree with several of the above posters that said we have to shore up our bullpen.

7. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

2.5 games out with two teams between them and the WC spots. Not optimal. At this point the only solution to make the postseason is to buy bullpen and, imo, buy a few pieces for the bullpen...not just one.

As I have stated before, I think the question is are you willing to give up some minor league pieces in order to have a one game WC and then likely getting dispatched easily in the second round?

8. Praxis

Praxis Registered

Keep Marte, Kelly, Weaver and trade pretty much everyone else.

9. Azjose86

Azjose86 Registered

That's a bit excessive. Escobar, Locastro, Young, Walker (I've hated on him, but he's not terrible with a huge ceiling), Dyson, ahmed are all pretty solid players you could build with. I think if healthy, our starters with Weaver, Young, Kelly, greinke are pretty good. If they could trade Ray for some young prospects. They need bullpen help and there's no one in the bullpen that should be off limits.

BC867 likes this.
  10. Praxis

Praxis Registered

Everyone besides Marte should be available. I guess that's what I meant to say.

11. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

They’re going to sweep the O’s, keep everyone then flame out in August.

12. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Eh, I am not so sure of that happening. This Orioles team just took 2 of 3 from the Boston Red Sox.

BC867 likes this.
  13. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Apparently Hazen is on record suggesting they will not be buyers. Can't recall the quote they were stating on the radio as I was driving home but basically it seemed to strongly suggest no buying regardless of how the next 7 games against the dregs of baseball pan out

Ronin likes this.
  14. Ronin

Ronin Registered