Day 3 Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Offensive Tackle---look at it this way, there was once chance to draft an immediate starter at RT and that was at #13. None of the tackles available in the 3rd round are immediate starters and the Cardinals' personnel people and coaches may feel that D.J. Young, the young tackle already on the roster, is better than anyone they are going to draft in rounds 3-7.

Thus your project tackle is D.J. Young.

That said, a few tackles to keep an eye on:...ones that fit the Cardinal mold...

Matt McCants, UAB. Watched a good deal of tape on him last night and I believe he has the right combination of toughness, bend, balance, footwork and punch. Round 5 or 6.

Tom Compton, South Dakota St. Same. Round 5 or 6.

Dennis Kelly, Purdue. was very much under the radar but turned heads at his Pro Day which was attended by the Cardinals. Round 6 or 7.

2. I think that if S George Iloka, 6-4, 222, 4.4 speed, of Boise St. is available at #112, he might be the top choice.

The other players at #112 that I think the Cardinals might have at the top of their board:

WRs---Chris Givens, Juron Criner, Jarius Wright, Devon Wylie, Danny Coale
My guess: Jarius Wright

OLBs---Ronnell Lewis, Jonathan Massaquoi, Kyle Wilber, Keenan Robinson, Miles Burris
My hope: Miles Burris
My guess: Kyle Wilber

Watched some tape of Wilber again last night and he reminds me of faster version of Clark Haggans. Wilber has real upside...very good athlete who has sneaky strength.

RB guess: Tauren Poole, Tennessee.

In the 5th round---the ST ace this year?

My guess: Ron Brooks, DB, LSU.

It also would not surprise me if the Cardinals use the 5th round pick on Kellen Moore, QB, Boise St.

On a personal note---while I am not fond of bragging about myself, I hope you find it acceptable to brag about my grandfather, Teddy Brennan, who laid the foundation of the Radio City Music Hall in 1932. It gives me goosebumps to watch the Draft there. He was such a great man...eldest son of 14 children who left school at age 14 to support the family after his father passed away. His breakthrough job was to pave the sidewalk outside of Tiffany's---the same sidewalk that that is there today! From there he merged with a man named Sloane to form the Brennan and Sloane Construction Company---and before it was all said and done they laid the foundations for Radio City Music Hall, the United Nations Building, Rockefeller Center Skating Rink, The Jabob Javitt's Center and NYC Hospital which is 8 stories under the ground, then a record, and might still be....and a number of other NYC landmarks.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey Mitch, great story on your grandad.

Understanding and embracing out BPA draft philosophy do you really think we will draft another WR? If the BPA is a WR do we trade down or just go ahead and take the WR.

Do you love any of the WR's you listed enough to stay put and take them?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a personal note---while I am not fond of bragging about myself, I hope you find it acceptable to brag about my grandfather, Teddy Brennan, who laid the foundation of the Radio City Music Hall in 1932. It gives me goosebumps to watch the Draft there. He was such a great man...eldest son of 14 children who left school at age 14 to support the family after his father passed away. His breakthrough job was to pave the sidewalk outside of Tiffany's---the same sidewalk that that is there today! From there he merged with a man named Sloane to form the Brennan and Sloane Construction Company---and before it was all said and done they laid the foundations for Radio City Music Hall, the United Nations Building, Rockefeller Center Skating Rink, The Jabob Javitt's Center and NYC Hospital which is 8 stories under the ground, then a record, and might still be....and a number of other NYC landmarks.

You have a right to be proud of your grandfather. :thumbup:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1. Offensive Tackle---look at it this way, there was once chance to draft an immediate starter at RT and that was at #13. None of the tackles available in the 3rd round are immediate starters and the Cardinals' personnel people and coaches may feel that D.J. Young, the young tackle already on the roster, is better than anyone they are going to draft in rounds 3-7.

Thus your project tackle is D.J. Young.

That said, a few tackles to keep an eye on:...ones that fit the Cardinal mold...

Matt McCants, UAB. Watched a good deal of tape on him last night and I believe he has the right combination of toughness, bend, balance, footwork and punch. Round 5 or 6.

Tom Compton, South Dakota St. Same. Round 5 or 6.

Dennis Kelly, Purdue. was very much under the radar but turned heads at his Pro Day which was attended by the Cardinals. Round 6 or 7.

I think Kelly is on the radar.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree on the quality of olinemen left. There are immediate starters still to be had. But,. I think we have a veteran free agent in our back pocket, ready to sign next week, if we don't draft one. Just a feeling I got listening to Whis in interviews last week. Remember, this is a coach who found un-ballyhooed free agent linemen like Mike Gandy and Rex Hadnot to start and least be sufficient for the job.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
1. None of the tackles available in the 3rd round are immediate starters

Who's the starter? Massie or Bridges/Bastiste? I think Massie is an immediate starter that we got in the 4th round.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's the starter? Massie or Bridges/Bastiste? I think Massie is an immediate starter that we got in the 4th round.

I tend to agree.. I think Bridges will be names starter but just to make Massie work for it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I tend to agree.. I think Bridges will be names starter but just to make Massie work for it.

Bridges is this years Bryon Robinson......"You need to take it away from me bohhhhy".

It should be a pretty good transition at some point. He'll prob. get a few series at 1st.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I've been to Radio City a number of times, including a back stage tour, where you get to stand on the big stage. And realize just how big. Your grandfather reminds me of the Irish who came to this country to find streets paved with gold. They found that not only weren't the streets paved with gold, but that they were expected to do the paving. I think most of our families turned out okay. Thanks and God Bless America.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Now THAT is very cool Mitch!! To add to your story - when my grandfather came over from Italy, he of course settled in NYC and knew only one thing - playing the violin. He eventually became quite successful and one night back in the late 1940's, he toook the stage at Radio City with his band...
:thumbup:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great write up and great story Mitch. Being in Wrentham I hope you get a chance to go to NYC every now and then to see his work. It really is a great city.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Very cool, I've walked on your GF's work many times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave