Davon Reed

Errntknght

Reaction score
He's getting a lot more travel time than playing time... I read earlier today that he'd already been recalled back to Phx.

OP
OP
Raze

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Since most of the games are unwatchable these days, I've decided to exclusively watch Davon and Josh to see how they are progressing. Josh looks pretty much like I expected.

Davon might not have a ton of stat stuffing nights in his last 11 games, but it's evident that he has natural court instincts. The Orlando game showed what he can do with his hands up in lanes (5 steals). His Charlotte game showed that he can be an adequate scorer with more minutes (16pts in 25mins). And I absolute love to watch him play D. He is smart and smooth. He maintains good position and balance and shows that he has great anticipation. He looks very comfortable bringing the ball up and even though he's posting a 1:1 A/TO ratio, I think his film shows that he will vastly improve on that. This guy is proving to be a good find in Round 2.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Since most of the games are unwatchable these days, I've decided to exclusively watch Davon and Josh to see how they are progressing. Josh looks pretty much like I expected.

Davon might not have a ton of stat stuffing nights in his last 11 games, but it's evident that he has natural court instincts. The Orlando game showed what he can do with his hands up in lanes (5 steals). His Charlotte game showed that he can be an adequate scorer with more minutes (16pts in 25mins). And I absolute love to watch him play D. He is smart and smooth. He maintains good position and balance and shows that he has great anticipation. He looks very comfortable bringing the ball up and even though he's posting a 1:1 A/TO ratio, I think his film shows that he will vastly improve on that. This guy is proving to be a good find in Round 2.
The dude is going to be a VERY good defender. His anticipation and instincts are phenomenal and it's like he has stickem on his hands because whenever he gets his hands on the ball on defense he gets possession.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He really cannot shoot at all. I think his ceiling is Tony Allen/Andre Roberson which is still really good for a 2nd rd pick so I'd be okay with that :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He really cannot shoot at all. I think his ceiling is Tony Allen/Andre Roberson which is still really good for a 2nd rd pick so I'd be okay with that :D
He was an excellent shooter in college (40% from the three over his entire 4 years). Shooting will be a strength for him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was an excellent shooter in college (40% from the three over his entire 4 years). Shooting will be a strength for him.
Yeah I believe this will come for him. He’s a rookie coming off an injury who isn’t getting much burn. I’ll be very surprised if his shooting doesn’t improve markedly.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lonzo was an excellent shooter in college too.

There are many guys who shot well in college and can’t shoot in the pros.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Welp, I think there’s a strong chance he won’t even be on the roster next season.

Racking up DNP-CDs because he’s not good enough to play on the Suns team which is the worst ever in franchise history and worst in the league this season doesn’t bode well for his future imo.

He was a reach when he was drafted too imo. Would’ve much rather had someone like Jordan Bell.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Triano has his favorites and one of them has been Danuel House. Once the G-League season was over and he could use House again I knew that would bump Reed from the rotation. I like House as a prospect but Reed has more potential, IMO, as a 3 & D guy. House is more like Derrick Jones with a jump shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Triano has his favorites and one of them has been Danuel House. Once the G-League season was over and he could use House again I knew that would bump Reed from the rotation. I like House as a prospect but Reed has more potential, IMO, as a 3 & D guy. House is more like Derrick Jones with a jump shot.

I like House better now but if Reed gets fully healthy, it could be a nice competition.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like House better now but if Reed gets fully healthy, it could be a nice competition.

I like House but I think it's clear that Triano has given him more opportunities than his play has warranted. He got a good amount of burn earlier in the year, sometimes entering games before Daniels or Jackson. I'm glad Triano's days are numbered as the HC. I've been one of the people that wanted to see him retained in an Assistant role but with how he's handled some players over the last 2-3 months has raised more questions than answers. It was around the time when he changed his mind publicly about wanting to be the Suns head coach beyond this season when things started getting weird. He allowed Bender to play 30+ despite showing no assertiveness, would sit Chriss even when he was producing, kept Booker at PG even after we brought in Payton and he looked like a competent NBA PG, among other things.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I prefer Reed to House. I think he projects as both a better defender and a better 3 point shooter. Two things we need the most to surround guys like Booker and Jackson.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Triano is garbage. If Reed doesn't get his chance because of Triano, then he'll just bounce back somewhere else (and have career games when he plays the Suns).

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Triano is garbage. If Reed doesn't get his chance because of Triano, then he'll just bounce back somewhere else (and have career games when he plays the Suns).
I think you’re overrating Reed. Absolute best case scenario, he becomes PJ Tucker type player. That’s the “absolute best” scenario.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I didn't care for the Reed pick, but I've liked what I've seen of him... though I'm assuming he can hit 3's a good bit better than he's showed so far...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like House but I think it's clear that Triano has given him more opportunities than his play has warranted. He got a good amount of burn earlier in the year, sometimes entering games before Daniels or Jackson. I'm glad Triano's days are numbered as the HC. I've been one of the people that wanted to see him retained in an Assistant role but with how he's handled some players over the last 2-3 months has raised more questions than answers. It was around the time when he changed his mind publicly about wanting to be the Suns head coach beyond this season when things started getting weird. He allowed Bender to play 30+ despite showing no assertiveness, would sit Chriss even when he was producing, kept Booker at PG even after we brought in Payton and he looked like a competent NBA PG, among other things.

I prefer Reed to House. I think he projects as both a better defender and a better 3 point shooter. Two things we need the most to surround guys like Booker and Jackson.

I have no problem if Reed takes the job away from House. I'm only thinking House is the more physical player right now.

IMO, Reed is not 100% ready, physically and mentally, to play up to his ability. He is fully capable of taking the next step when he gets healthy. Hopefully it happens this summer.

IMO, it's a similar story to Ulis who is only now starting to play better. Ulis had a number of physical setbacks.

Hopefully it is not either or between House and Reed although it will be hard to keep both.

The good news, I think a new coach will make the decisions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Some of you guys are so quick to cut bait on young guys. This dude just got injured last summer. We certainly haven’t seen his best yet. I think there’s still a relatively good shot he becomes a competent-to-good 3 and D guy. This team could use that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's too soon to call a 2nd round pick a bust when he suffered an injury in his first summer that derailed the whole year for him. Reed showed enough in summer league before his injury to warrant a longer look. At the least I'd like to see him retained on a two-way deal next season. The issue I have with Triano playing House so much over Reed is that I can see already that House doesn't have much of a future with the Suns, especially once Triano is gone. He hasn't shown enough to invest more time into his development.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's too soon to call a 2nd round pick a bust when he suffered an injury in his first summer that derailed the whole year for him. Reed showed enough in summer league before his injury to warrant a longer look. At the least I'd like to see him retained on a two-way deal next season. The issue I have with Triano playing House so much over Reed is that I can see already that House doesn't have much of a future with the Suns, especially once Triano is gone. He hasn't shown enough to invest more time into his development.
That’s part of the problem with him. 2 meniscus tears in 3 years is a massive liability.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s part of the problem with him. 2 meniscus tears in 3 years is a massive liability.

Didn't Bledsoe deal with the same thing? I'm not saying that Reed will be like Bledsoe I know he had 1 meniscus surgery his first year here but I can't recall what his other injuries were.

I wish Triano gave him some more playing time but there is so little time left this season I don't see that changing. He should stick with the team through the summer and play on the Summer League team as well as getting invited to training camp. We'll see what he can bring to the table once he's healed up completely. Since he has dealt with injuries I think it's too soon to write him off completely. He's a cheap option at the end of the bench and the Suns could definitely do worse trying to fill that spot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave