Data usage

Reaction score
How can you tell what is eating up all of your data? I get a terabyte a month & never had any issues. Last month I went over & Cox charged my an extra $50. I ran out a week prior to the reset. Today I got a notification that I'm out of data & I still have 2 weeks to go.

I want to see what is using my data. Can I log into the modem somehow & see what device is using the most? I have 3 tv's that use Rokus that are used by me & my two daughters & I surf the net for a few hours nightly. It was never an issue before.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can you tell what is eating up all of your data? I get a terabyte a month & never had any issues. Last month I went over & Cox charged my an extra $50. I ran out a week prior to the reset. Today I got a notification that I'm out of data & I still have 2 weeks to go.

I want to see what is using my data. Can I log into the modem somehow & see what device is using the most? I have 3 tv's that use Rokus that are used by me & my two daughters & I surf the net for a few hours nightly. It was never an issue before.

If you have a good enough router, you can. Post your router model.

My guess is something like Netflix or Amazon is set to keep playing after someone walks away.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hulu, Netflix and etc topically have auto play enabled. When I turned it off, I stopped going over

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
Hulu, Netflix and etc topically have auto play enabled. When I turned it off, I stopped going over

Do you have to change a setting on the Roku? I know the tv in my room typically will ask after a while ''are you still watching'' then it goes to a screen saver. Thing is we've been doing it the same way for a year & now all of a sudden I'm going over. Cox wants another $50 per month for unlimited when I was already at a TB per.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have to change a setting on the Roku? I know the tv in my room typically will ask after a while ''are you still watching'' then it goes to a screen saver. Thing is we've been doing it the same way for a year & now all of a sudden I'm going over. Cox wants another $50 per month for unlimited when I was already at a TB per.
I did it on every roku, Xbox, smart TV, etc. The are you still watching I think is only Netflix. I did this when the caps were coming because I was over every month previous and I have not had an overage yet.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS it's not the Roku settings, it's the Netflix settings on the roku

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
I'm still trying to access my router but it won't let me in. Stupid question but my network name should also be my username correct?

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
PS it's not the Roku settings, it's the Netflix settings on the roku

Yeah, I just figured that out. The daughters use the autoplay I guess watching a series of shows but it isn't anything different that we've been doing all year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to access my router but it won't let me in. Stupid question but my network name should also be my username correct?
Usually the login username is admin

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just figured that out. The daughters use the autoplay I guess watching a series of shows but it isn't anything different that we've been doing all year.
If you fall asleep, it can allow a lot. Especially on Hulu. If you disable it, it's a very minor inconvenience to push the button and start the next episode

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, teenagers use a TON of data.. If they have unlimited phone data, kick them off the wifi

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
I was just looking at my daily usage & I'm currently at 8gb. With 1tb allowed per month I should be able to use 32gb per day.

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
Their not teenagers but they've been here all year. Why in the last two months has it increased so drastically with this month being even higher? I used a TB in 12 days.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their not teenagers but they've been here all year. Why in the last two months has it increased so drastically with this month being even higher? I used a TB in 12 days.
Because Cox is full of crap and wants to get you to go to the higher tier and get more money out of you?? (Conspiracy theory)

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
Or, someone nearby is connected to your WiFi somehow. I'd change your pwd...

I thought of that as well. I looked at who was connected earlier & it was just me. Maybe I can look at history? I just need to find a way to see what device is using the most or if it's evenish on all of them. It could be just Cox doing what Cox does.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The default login for routers is usually admin/admin, but hopefully you changed the default pw. If you did change it and don't remember, you'll likely need to reset the router.

If you have cox, it might just be easier to call them and ask what services/sites are using the most data.

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
I have my password but it's still not letting me in the router for some reason. I've tried my wifi name & admin as the user name to no avail.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose