Daron Sutton

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really impressed with Daron Sutton thus far... He has an excellent voice, seems well-prepared....also has an excellent chemistry with Mark Grace.... He also appears to be very knowlegable about the Dbacks and the rest of the Major Leagues....

It's definitely more refreshing than listening to Thom who over the years started to really annoy me beyond belief....

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's doing well so far (but I liked Thom a lot better than most announcers anyways). He gets a little too melodramatic at times but otherwise I'm liking the way he calls games.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's doing well so far (but I liked Thom a lot better than most announcers anyways). He gets a little too melodramatic at times but otherwise I'm liking the way he calls games.

You got to be kidding. Thom is so overrated. I like Sutton much better.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got to be kidding. Thom is so overrated. I like Sutton much better.
I didn't say I liked Thom better than Sutton, I simply said that I liked Thom. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't say I liked Thom better than Sutton, I simply said that I liked Thom. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You said you liked him better than most announcers. I like most announcers than Thom. I grew up and listening to Bill White and Phil Rizzutto, and the chemistry those two had was great. I don't think Thom is a guy who can share the spotlight. I always felt he thought he was the big dog and Grace was there to be there.

Everyone has their likes and opinions, and that is what makes message boards enjoyable to read. It would be boring if we all thought the same way.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Sutton is too much of a homer so far. He's cheering the team on while calling the play. I'm not a fan of that.

EDIT: He just called Drew's RBI single at bat a "heroic piece of hitting." Come on Darren, I know the Dbacks sign your paychecks but this is way overboard.

Last edited:

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Sutton is a great tv guy. I love that he doesn't seem like he is better than the fans like Thom did. Sutton is a baseball fan and a baseball guy and i flat out enjoy a guy who enjoys the games. He and Grace have fantastic chemistry and its fun.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sutton is a great tv guy. I love that he doesn't seem like he is better than the fans like Thom did. Sutton is a baseball fan and a baseball guy and i flat out enjoy a guy who enjoys the games. He and Grace have fantastic chemistry and its fun.

Exactly.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I like Suttons enthusiasm but the little things like "come on, get a hit right here!" are a bit annoying. Also I laughed out loud when tonight he said "Scott Hairston COMMA Diamondbacks Left Fielder" what the hell does that even mean?

Overall I like him, but a few annoyances so far. He and grace do seem to get along and have good chemistry. Also, you can really tell Grace doesn't like the "ProTrade Win Percentage" thing (I don't either), how long until they get rid of that silly gimmick?

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I like Suttons enthusiasm but the little things like "come on, get a hit right here!" are a bit annoying. Also I laughed out loud when tonight he said "Scott Hairston COMMA Diamondbacks Left Fielder" what the hell does that even mean?

Overall I like him, but a few annoyances so far. He and grace do seem to get along and have good chemistry. Also, you can really tell Grace doesn't like the "ProTrade Win Percentage" thing (I don't either), how long until they get rid of that silly gimmick?

I think the protrade thing would be more interesting if they explained more indepth how it is calculated. It is an interesting thing but annoying how many times they show it in the game.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I think Sutton sucks and it is awkward conversation with Grace so far... Thom was good at getting Grace to tell funny stories or give an "insider" position on stuff, but so far everything seems so drawn out and boring to me. But that is just my opinion. I like the radio guy with Grace the best.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
speaking of enthusiasm i think it was going into the 7th inning today, he screamed before the commercial break LETS GET IT GOING or something like that, and it was annoying because his voice is kind of weak and next to Grace's smoking raspy voice, Sutton sounds like a little boy.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I think Sutton sucks and it is awkward conversation with Grace so far... Thom was good at getting Grace to tell funny stories or give an "insider" position on stuff, but so far everything seems so drawn out and boring to me. But that is just my opinion. I like the radio guy with Grace the best.

From what I have heard so far Sutton is in the same class of homer as Tom Leander, it's just a little too thick for my tastes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Where is Jeff Munn when you really need him?

The next Vin Scully is waiting in the wings . . . and waiting . . . and waiting . . .

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I could definitely do without his cheerleader style (especially the overdramatizing of things), however overall I've been pretty pleased with Sutton's broadcasting style.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope Jeff Munn never takes over anything, he is a commercial voice over man and nothing more. He is stale as hell with his annoucing and puts me to sleep.

As for Sutton, he is a breath of fresh air of professionalism and calm announcing this team has never had. He controls the idiot colormen better than anyone I have ever seen.

Thank god Jim Trabor isn't around to see this kind of disipline. Whether it be Williams or Grace, Sutton controls them.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Sutton/Gracie

Maybe I will get a chance to see them this week - - all week long on DirecTV I have had nothing but home announcers for the Rockies & Nats.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'm starting to like him more and more.. At first, not so much. But he's starting to grow on me. (And I'm starting to miss Thom less.)

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Thom and his dad will be in town since they are the announcers for the Reds.

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
I think he is good so far. I think Thom got more annoying each year, as he seemed to pay less and less attention to the actual game. I didn't like the chummy stuff with Grace. And for some reason, I couldn't stand it whenever he said the word "nary." I like bare-bones announcing (like Jeff Munn).

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sutton is just ok. What makes him special is he replaced Thom. Thom is horrible. Loves to hear himself talk too much for a play by play guy. I am glad he is in Cinci.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave