Dark Shadows

AZZenny

Reaction score
No thread??

Tim Burton reprises the 1970's TV Soap Opera Dark Shadows, w. Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins, awakened after 200 years into the 1970's.

NY TIMES Review

Saw it with friends yesterday - It's an amusing flick, totally lightweight, and Depp has too much fun - not as over-the-top as Cap'n Jack Sparrow, because Barnabas is rather an old-fashioned, up-tight New Englander -- so he's played more straight, but with a dry, sly humor. Movie is done with Tim Burton's excellent eye for visuals and detail, and pacing and supporting cast are all fine. Three and a half stars - well-done fluff.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Can't stand Tim Burton movies for the most part (liked Beetlejuice and Big Fish though). I still hold a grudge over what he did to Planet of the Apes (unforgivable).

Still I may see this movie, I get really bored away from home and this interests me more than say Five Year Engagement or Think Like a Man.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark Shadows

Release Date: May 11, 2012 (2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Tim Burton
Screenwriter: Seth Grahame-Smith
Genre: Gothic Comedy
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for comic horror violence, sexual content, some drug use, language and smoking)

Starring: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Jackie Earle Haley, Jonny Lee Miller, Eva Green, Chloe Grace Moretz, Bella Heathcote, Gully McGrath

Plot Summary: In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet - or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy...until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive. Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets.

You must be registered for see images attach

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...It's an amusing flick, totally lightweight, and Depp has too much fun - not as over-the-top as Cap'n Jack Sparrow, because Barnabas is rather an old-fashioned, up-tight New Englander -- so he's played more straight, but with a dry, sly humor. Movie is done with Tim Burton's excellent eye for visuals and detail, and pacing and supporting cast are all fine. Three and a half stars - well-done fluff.

Absolutely ditto, right down to the 3 and a half stars. Good rental.

And the witch was delightfully nasty (but really and sexually).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was dragged to see this in the theater, and man, did it suck balls. It didn't even qualify as a good, cheesy B-movie. 1 1/2 stars, and that's being generous.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it in the comfort of my own home with few expectations. It kept my interest but it was nothing special. I kept thinking that just about anyone but Burton would have made more out of the characters and actors available to him. But then again, I consider Tim Burton to be perhaps the most overrated Director in Hollywood. He does some things very well but on the whole, his work consistently falls short of the talents involved.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson