D'angelo Russell

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
its pretty well known him and Booker are boys and there recent love fest and our serious PG troubles has be thinking maybe Booker is in James Jones ear

What would you give up for him because honestly I think this is the realist option

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd trade Canaan and Daniels with some 2nd round picks for DAR but that's probably it. I would rather trade for him now than try to sign him next offseason because he'll be costly then and it's questionable if he fits alongside Booker. He's not a very good playmaker in that he turns the ball over too much. I think he's more of a combo guard than a real PG.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's young and talented but I would think you want more of a distributor / defender next to Booker. Maybe MIL pick and a second at the most, maybe Bender if they are interested.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's young and talented but I would think you want more of a distributor / defender next to Booker. Maybe MIL pick and a second at the most, maybe Bender if they are interested.

I want someone that can handle the ball and force the defense to play him straight up. It would be nice if he could feed the post and generate offense for his teammates but having a weapon next to Booker is the most important thing we lack right now, IMO. Well, a great point guard would make my previous sentence look foolish but I don't see a point guard that is attainable AND great.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take a chance on Russell. His salary is not huge and he is a RFA next season so the Suns can control his rights. If the Suns do not like him, he would likely move on after the season. The Suns cannot afford to be so picky they do not explore every option at point guard.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'd take a chance on Russell. His salary is not huge and he is a RFA next season so the Suns can control his rights. If the Suns do not like him, he would likely move on after the season. The Suns cannot afford to be so picky they do not explore every option at point guard.

Agreed it’d be like the Elfrid situation except it’s cost a first. The only issue I see with D’Lo is he’s playing for a well coached team and he hasn’t taken the next step in his 4th season... Would his game take off for the dysfunctional Suns? 16ppg is nice but it’s on 14+ shots... I’d kick the tires if Brooklyn would sell low.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
We're discussing the wrong Nets PG. We should be looking at Dinwiddie.

I'd give Bender for him. Or Warren. Or Ariza. Or the Bucks pick. I want my starters to be Din, Book, Bridges, JJ, and Ayton.

I'd give absolutely nothing for Russell. You would have to give me assets to take him off your hands. I'll never understand the infatuation with OGs posing as PGs. Especially ones that don't play D and turn the ball over.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd give absolutely nothing for Russell. You would have to give me assets to take him off your hands. I'll never understand the infatuation with OGs posing as PGs. Especially ones that don't play D and turn the ball over.

I understand the infatuation. The rules changes over the past dozen years or so heavily favor the ballhandler/shooter so it makes sense. And if you're effective in spreading the court, traditional PG skills matter less (LESS, not, don't matter). But Russell isn't much better as a shooting guard than he is as a point guard. And unless he's learned to play better off the ball we should have no interest in him. Having said that, he's much better than Canaan so if desperation rules the day, I'd prefer it to a Wall grab.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I understand the infatuation. The rules changes over the past dozen years or so heavily favor the ballhandler/shooter so it makes sense. And if you're effective in spreading the court, traditional PG skills matter less (LESS, not, don't matter). But Russell isn't much better as a shooting guard than he is as a point guard. And unless he's learned to play better off the ball we should have no interest in him. Having said that, he's much better than Canaan so if desperation rules the day, I'd prefer it to a Wall grab.

You make good points, but how many of those OGs are actually effective? What I mean is how do they transfer to wins or championships. I just don't see many moving the needle for teams. I see them more as fool's gold. Especially ones like Russell.

I think I'd still rather have Canaan to Russell. With Canaan I KNOW we have a hole at PG. With Russell, I'm afraid I'd be lulled into a false sense of security at the position only to wake up 3 years down the road to realize he's not helping us win anything.

Totally agree on Wall. Injuries/attitude/salary are all problems. It's just not worth it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree with all

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just want a PG that will fight through picks, throw a nice lob, pass down low to an open big man and hit an open three. For the price Patrick Beverly has to be the best option.

I like Russell, but think his next contract would set the Suns back on the cap end.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So the goal of this thread is what would you give up? Ryan Anderon and a protected second round pick....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose