Dan Orlovsky QB Rankings

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the face of those stats that is about the only argument you can make.
Except stats don't show the entire picture. Through 9 or 10 games of the season, he was an MVP candidate. The Cards weren't winning in spite of Murray during those games either.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except stats don't show the entire picture. Through 9 or 10 games of the season, he was an MVP candidate. The Cards weren't winning in spite of Murray during those games either.
It was basically the first 7 games, and you don't get to just forget the second half of the season's performance if you are making an honest evaluation.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was basically the first 7 games, and you don't get to just forget the second half of the season's performance if you are making an honest evaluation.
I'm not forgetting it. Being a top 2 or 3 QB for half of the season and top half or so for the 2nd half equals right around 10 for me.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler was 14th in passing yards
12th in passing TDs
15th in interception %
16th in passing 1st downs
9th in yards per completion
2nd in completion %
7th in QBR
Tied for 11th in wins
22nd in game winning drives
20th in 4th Q comebacks (scoring drive in the 4th Q when down by one score or less but not required to take the lead. He had 1.)
19th in intended air yards
13th in completed air yards.

Not a top 10 player in 2021.
HE was 9th in DVOA and 7th in FO's QBR (which is adjusted for strength of opponent). I think that he's right around the top 10 although you can't really bang the table for him being top 5. The breakpoint of whether he's the 8th best QB or the 12th best feels pretty arbitrary to me.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
12th in passing TDs
15th in interception %
2nd in completion %
7th in QBR
Tied for 11th in wins
20th in 4th Q comebacks (scoring drive in the 4th Q when down by one score or less but not required to take the lead. He had 1.)

middle of the pack QB. how many other teams say "if our guy was healthy, if our WRs were healthy, if our line was healthy..." about their QB? a lot.

talent only takes you so far.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
12th in passing TDs
15th in interception %
2nd in completion %
7th in QBR
Tied for 11th in wins

Now do per game. Considering you're comparing 14 game totals with 17 game totals.

You said Carr top 10 is but Carr is worse in most of these.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
HE was 9th in DVOA and 7th in FO's QBR (which is adjusted for strength of opponent). I think that he's right around the top 10 although you can't really bang the table for him being top 5. The breakpoint of whether he's the 8th best QB or the 12th best feels pretty arbitrary to me.
Fair. I can get behind the 10-12 range. @dreamcastrocks I will give you that he is closer to top 10 than top 16. Tough to argue that he is not better than Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G and Mac Jones who he was close to statistically.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair. I can get behind the 10-12 range. @dreamcastrocks I will give you that he is closer to top 10 than top 16. Tough to argue that he is not better than Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G and Mac Jones who he was close to statistically.
It is a minor point, but what else are we going to discuss during this boring time...

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me the difference is Carr won meaningful games that they needed to win in order to get to the playoffs, Murray has yet to do that.

Did he?

They were 6-7 with 4 games remaining and out of the playoffs. They then won their last 4 to scrape in.

In those 4 the Vegas defense gave up 14 points to the Browns, 13 points to the Broncos and 20 points to the Colts. In those 3 games Carr had 3 TD's, 5 Interceptions and an average passer rating of 89. The offense averaged 18.6 points through those games. They were all clearly defensive wins.

Even in the final game vs the Chargers that they won 35-32 Carr only threw for 186 yards, 5.17 YPA and had a 55% comp % and 88 passer rating.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This.

I'd argue 8.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait... so when it comes to data you agree with, everything matters (like PFF grades). When it comes to data that don't support your argument, it's "invalid" to put in the mix?

Hm.

No.

You can't say things like "Kyler isn't top 10 because he didn't finish top 10 in all the total metrics" when he missed 3 games. Of course he isn't going to finish top 10. And yes, missing games matters, but you still can't use season totals to define someones talent level when they missed 18% of games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No.

You can't say things like "Kyler isn't top 10 because he didn't finish top 10 in all the total metrics" when he missed 3 games. Of course he isn't going to finish top 10. And yes, missing games matters, but you still can't use season totals to define someones talent level when they missed 18% of games.
Both counting stats and rate stats matter. If Kyler didn't have a history of tailing off at the end of seasons or whatever. Kyler's had three chances to get over 4k yards and hasn't found a way to do it. He even got an extra game this year.

Availability is the most important ability, as they say.

There are plenty of rate stats where Kyler is outside the top 10, also, like TD%, INT%, Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt, EPA per play.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No.

But that is exactly why missing games matters. It has a negative affect on a players overall production.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
ESPN and Dan especially like to rip on the Cards, dismiss their success, and wait for the wheels to fall off. For the most part the Cards are making them look exactly like what they say. This season needs to be getting hot down the stretch. Week 6 at 3-3 ESPN will be spouting off all their wrath for the Cards like told you so. It'll be up to the Cards to change that to week 17 or 18 and the analysts say the Cards are the hottest team in football and have momentum instead of backing into playoffs like last season. Before that Rams game I wasn't getting good vibes like I knew Murray was going to freak out throwing picks and be running for his life. Healthy, improved receivers should help as will Hernandez only slightly at RG.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose