Dan Arnold to Carolina

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Glossing over YOUR "big picture", more precisely.

I see JJ Watt's addition on "D"; the return CJ and Jordan and a year (or more) under the belt for Simmons, Fotu, Lawrence, Allen, Murphy, the Thompson's, and not forgetting Budda and Golden as pieces to an improved defence. Yes, we have to address CB, but if we can send two guys out there who rank better at the end of the season than the inept pair we had last time out, we're ahead of the game.

On the offence, we just added a premier centre that everyone was clamouring for. Our left side is solid, and we have enough competition on the right side to field a solid two and backups across the line. We added a wideout that if he returns to 80% of his previous form will be an absolute steal. We have running backs, but if more are needed, they are out there. RBs are like pretty girls; you don't have to stand on a corner very long before one passes by. And, and, we have D-Hop and KM going into his third year.

On cap space, I have to believe you're deliberately obtuse because we can quite easily create space to meet present needs, and if the draft gives us three contributors, that's gravy.

I'm sure none of this is convincing to a nervous nellie, worry wart like you, but that's my "big" picture, and it's going to take a season for me to change my mind.

I see the team very similarly.

JJ Watt is a massive upgrade for the DL.

Hudson is a massive upgrade for OL.

Green is very likely to be better over Fitzgerald, and that means the Cardinals can move Kirk inside where he should be able to be better.

Prater is better than Gonzalez.

The offseason ISNT over and the draft doesn't have to be the only way to address corner.

And the Cardinals will have a buttload of money next season. The sky is not falling.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
And the Cardinals will have a buttload of money next season. The sky is not falling.
For one, oh boy, I can't wait to be excited for September of 2022 in March of 2021, and two, it's already been pointed out to you that we only have 33 players under contract next year with our superstar QB up for an extension that his contemporaries have gotten in their 4th year.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you're asking for a lot expecting that we're going to have better at CB than we did last year. Right now the available pieces on the market are all really bad. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. People point out PFF ratings, but they don't paint the whole picture, and it's important to remember that. Everyone available is on the wrong side of 32, dealing with injury, or were components of some of the worst defenses in the league last year.

Our safeties aren't even at their best in coverage, making this even more scary in a division that has to face Wilson and Stafford two times each.

Lots of ifs and maybes here. Also, I don't know how long you've been a fan of this team, but it's awfully easy to say you don't have to wait long for an RB to come by. This team has had 3 RBs get over 1,000 yards since coming to Arizona.

Adrian Murrell, 1998 - 1,042
Edgerrin James, 2006, 2007 - 1,159, 1,222
David Johnson - 2016 - 1,239

So that begs the question, if it's that easy, why haven't we done it?

Not to mention for all of the excitement about the offensive line and corpse of AJ Green, as I mentioned in another post in this thread: we've replaced 163 targets, 110 receptions, 984 yards, and 5 TDs with one guy who was responsible for 104 targets, 47 receptions, 523 yards, and 2 TDs.

It's not "deliberately obtuse" to recognize that an extension for Chandler Jones takes two sides to play ball, cutting Kennard or Pugh creates more holes to fill with draft picks we don't have, and continuing to kick the can down the road on the cap to only hurt what will probably be a new GM is not a compelling reason to do so. Even if we create the cap space, the available players still stink.

Nervous nellie? How about sick of five years of non-winning football with an eye toward a sixth?

Well, you've certainly snooker me on if, but and maybe.

I'll stick with my scenario and I've been a fan since the original Cardiac Cards.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I see the team very similarly.

JJ Watt is a massive upgrade for the DL.

Hudson is a massive upgrade for OL.

Green is very likely to be better over Fitzgerald, and that means the Cardinals can move Kirk inside where he should be able to be better.

Prater is better than Gonzalez.

The offseason ISNT over and the draft doesn't have to be the only way to address corner.

You keep commenting like us acquiring 2 starting CBs is just no big deal. Who, specifically, are we going to bring in to get the CB play to at least an acceptable level of average? Which specific vets left would do that? Or are you counting on rookies? Or Murphy to be CB1 or CB2? Deets, please :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, you've certainly snooker me on if, but and maybe.

I'll stick with my scenario and I've been a fan since the original Cardiac Cards.
I do want to say, I wasn't trying to call out your fandom. It doesn't matter if you're a fan from yesterday or 60 years ago, we're still glad to have you. Just calling out our history of ineptitude at RB showing it isn't just that easy to put any warm body in there and get production.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For one, oh boy, I can't wait to be excited for September of 2022 in March of 2021, and two, it's already been pointed out to you that we only have 33 players under contract next year with our superstar QB up for an extension that his contemporaries have gotten in their 4th year.

We will have more than 33 after this draft class, a 20 / 25% turnover is the norm and KM's contract is all about structure

Much ado about squat.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do want to say, I wasn't trying to call out your fandom. It doesn't matter if you're a fan from yesterday or 60 years ago, we're still glad to have you. Just calling out our history of ineptitude at RB showing it isn't just that easy to put any warm body in there and get production.
Right? I keep bringing up how easy it was to draft jJ Arrington and “lectric” Leeland in the second round to solve our running back woes . . . worked like a charm . . . except it didn’t and the cards have had a dreadful history of rbs for decades.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bell cow running backs is a thing of the past.

If our 0-line does its job, good running will follow by a tandem of backs.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We will have more than 33 after this draft class, a 20 / 25% turnover is the norm and KM's contract is all about structure

Much ado about squat.
Yeah, we'll have like, 35. Two 7th round picks are nowhere near locks to make the 2021 roster, much less the 2022. A 20-25% turnover is normal, we're talking a 38% turnover.

From the past 5 years of drafts we have 6 players taken in or after the 5th round on our roster, out of 16 picks.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Except it hasn't, for most of the history of the Cards.

Look, I get that you're an optimist and you feel everything's just going to work out fine for us this season. What is the optimism based on, though? Keim's (in)ability to be progressive and innovative in fixing our roster? Expecting an incredible draft with little draft capital? Fixing our gaping roster holes how?

I'd truly love to be optimistic, for once. I just don't see the reason for it yet. I'm curious how you think this team will get that much better making moves? Not just that you think they'll get better, but HOW.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Great, who is our wonderful tandem back to work alongside Edmonds then? Eno "Inactive" Benjamin? Jonathan "One Reception" Ward? Khalfani "Not Aware He Was On Our Roster" Muhammad?

Keep in mind, in games Edmonds has started, he has 128 yards for a 3.12 YPC and 0 TDs rushing or receiving. Pardon me if I'm not convinced he's even a truly reliable option as part of a committee.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Solar7, post: 4455326, member: 111"
From the past 5 years of drafts we have 6 players taken in or after the 5th round on our roster, out of 16 picks.[/QUOTE]
I’m guessing a lot of teams are similar.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Solar7, post: 4455326, member: 111"
From the past 5 years of drafts we have 6 players taken in or after the 5th round on our roster, out of 16 picks.
I’m guessing a lot of teams are similar.[/QUOTE]
Probably so. It doesn't make this year's draft the solution to next year's roster issues though. Where it stands today, we should be drafting two guys total that we can reasonably count to be on the roster next year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right? I keep bringing up how easy it was to draft jJ Arrington and “lectric” Leeland in the second round to solve our running back woes . . . worked like a charm . . . except it didn’t and the cards have had a dreadful history of rbs for decades.
Let us not forget Thomas Jones who LEFT and had a good career and the famous Garrison Hearst who LEFT and had a pretty good career.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose