Dallas Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Kel Varnsen, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I posted something similar to that on FB today when a friend of mine posted something about the border and the need for a wall. He's Hawaiian so my comment was "2 hours ago some nutjob white dude tried to go on a shooting rampage and luckily the police stopped him quickly. How many nutjob white guys with a gun have to do something like that before you stop worrying about brown people crossing the border and worry about the people already here with guns?"

I knew he'd get my point since he's Hawaiian(so brown) that he's worrying about the wrong set of people. The amount of problems "they" are causing is trivial compared to what we already have here.

he didn't respond I'm curious what he says when he does. I don't think he's a gun owner himself. The typical response to that is well we have to fix our own problems we don't need any new ones crossing the border. The problem is Trump is so focused on the border he's completely avoiding the problems here we already have with guns.

2. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

I toss out these snarky remarks knowing full well nothing will change. I'm even to the point where I believe things (Guns) wouldn't change even if Biden/Kamala/Bernie/etc...were in office.
    We've had far more than enough carnage needed to have produced change. And yet, we get squat from our leaders. I'm exhausted by it all. The agony and horror that comes with merely reading the next "Breaking News" headline...The pain that comes when the pictures and video and stories surface of the bloodshed and death. The immense sadness that ensues as more innocent lives are needlessly snuffed out. And the intense anger that follows as the full scale of absurdity comes into full view once again. That the supposed "most civilized", "most wealthy,' "most advanced," "most caring" society on the planet... the country that was reportedly founded upon "Judeo-Christian" values, has sunk into the abyss inhabited by residents such as al Qaeda, the Taliban and blood-thirsty dictators like Hitler, Stalin, Chavez and Castro...

I am utterly disgusted, dismayed and disillusioned by the sight of our once great country. Going beyond the grotesque reality of our political system, socially - we are equally pathetic. Equally inept. Equally off-course. The country that lists itself as being the "most" in all those grand categories, is also the "most" with regard to the numbers of people we stick in prisons... the numbers of people aimlessly roaming the streets... the numbers of young adults and children dying at the hands of drugs... the numbers of people/families who can't afford to see a doctor... Our once great nation now lifts up and idolizes the likes of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, LeBron James, The Bachelor and Bachelorette, pick an "elite" entertainer... while at the same time, turning away from the countless, endless stories of Americans who somehow, overcome the odds and become all that our country once stood for.

America is now, 100% full-on comedy for the rest of the world. We are broadly viewed as a nation of excess and as such, if anyone outside our borders is remotely interested in America, it's only for the sake of self-aggrandizement - what's in it for me? How can i exploit that land of excess? Very few see America as the place where they can live and work and improve themselves, thereby improving the country. Some do of course... but, those are mostly the ones we are trying to keep out!

I recently celebrated my 55th birthday... and I can honestly say that I have never felt such acrimony and hopelessness for my country as I do at present.
    I have 3 kids... One who just received her Masters. One who just received his Bachelors, and one who just graduated from high school (yes, 3 graduations all within 2 weeks of one another!). I will always implore them they have the ability to do anything they choose. They can be great at whatever path they take. And that in America, they dwell in a country that affords them the greatest chance to be fulfilled. They HAVE to possess that optimism. But I'd by lying if I didn't say how much harder it is to say those things today...

3. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

It's a god given right son.

4. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I have a former student who recently completed her PhD. Her committee chair gave her honest advice. That is, if she wants to truly be a research scientist, she should consider a career overseas. Europe, Japan, Korea, Australia or even China. He says this country is becoming too unsupportive of science, to the point of hostility even, to make it a satisfying career. He says the constant begging for money (in the form of writing grants) has killed his joy in the field. If this guy was given as much money as it takes to build one tank, he could get his lab to develop four or five new and improved cancer drugs.

It is depressing. I wish I could say it's going to get better, but I think it's more likely a lot of pain is to come. I cannot tell my kids (roughly the same age as yours), and be honest, that they have it better than we did. They don't.

We never had to do active shooter drills. Our kids do, and they seriously worry about it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Russ Smith and LVG like this.
  5. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

We have so many powerful, influencial leaders who claim to be "Christian," and in their warped-ass minds, have somehow equated science with satan... all while being entirely lost as to how they minimize God by being so misguided! Like, God created ALL things... well, except for science. o_O

6. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Good observation, and I'm not certain where that hostility to science came from. Religion has both supported the sciences in the past and oppressed them. But now, it just seems like there's a hostility towards science in general emanating from most religions.

7. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

I can't add anything meaningful to this issue...Other than to suggest that political leaders, years ago, likely saw an oppty to score points and gain popularity/power, by seizing upon the ignorant and ill-informed. There is a stunningly large % of the population who call themselves Christian and have zero respect for science.
    Additionally, we can't deny the $$ side of this issue as well... The nut-job, soul-less and mercenary politicians locked in arms with specific industries in ways that has devalued science.

LVG likes this.
  8. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

The GOP has waged a deliberately precipitous 35 year war on all critical thinking. They have demonized science, “librul”education and higher learning, intellectualalism and news organizations.

This is absolutely no accident.

There is a reason it ran a parallel stream the the right’s war on democracy via gerrymandering , obstruction and court packing.

The parallel streams have now crossed into the authoritarian lurch we’re all witnessing now.

If Ghostbusters taught us anything, it’s that nothing good happenes when you cross streams.

Russ Smith likes this.
  9. Russ Smith

The only caveat I have is while I'm not a LeBron fan, I would put him in the category of overcoming and excelling. OBviously he's a freak athlete but his family was quite poor, he wasn't born into success he found something he was good at it and pursued it.

But in general I agree with you I don't like what is happening to this country. Trump didn't start it and I've been saying for awhile I think McConnell is worse than Trump, but the accelerated decline of this country is happening under Trump.

10. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Cmon Russ. He’s not “avoiding” them. He’s purposefully ignoring it.

11. Russ Smith

Probably true.

I don't know what the right answer is but I suspect continuing to do the same thing is NOT the right answer. If only there were other countries we could look at and compare our situation to theirs.

Nah.

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Science = reason = thoughtfulness.

Religion = blind faith.

Which do you think corrupt leaders prefer to exalt?

13. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Blind Religion = blind faith.

True faith in Jesus Christ = thoughtfulness and reason, and a genuine respect for science.

14. Passepartout

Passepartout July Fireworks

Well it really thankfully nobody else got hurt nor killed. As really these mass shootings sadly but truthfully are the "New Normal" as need to stop.

Russ Smith likes this.
  15. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk