Dallas releases Fisher, needs PG

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have 4 on our roster. We are rebuilding. I have to think that Dallas would have some interest in Telfair, who is playing well right now.

I was wondering if some deal could be done? Hmm. A pick or two, maybe a combo that could net us Mayo. I would love to have Mayo, but he is on a one year deal. I would have to give up Telfair just for a rental that might hurt our draft status.

It just seems like it might be an opportunity, but I am not sure what.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have 4 on our roster. We are rebuilding. I have to think that Dallas would have some interest in Telfair, who is playing well right now.

I was wondering if some deal could be done? Hmm. A pick or two, maybe a combo that could net us Mayo. I would love to have Mayo, but he is on a one year deal. I would have to give up Telfair just for a rental that might hurt our draft status.

It just seems like it might be an opportunity, but I am not sure what.

I don't think it could net us Mayo but I agree there might be some opportunity here. It seems to me that Mayo and the return of Dirk are the reasons the Mavs might be interested in buying a point guard. Without Mayo, this Mavs team is probably better served preparing for the draft than chasing a playoff spot.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't see trading Telfair as an opportunity. He's the second best perimeter defender on the team - normally for the Suns that wouldn't be saying anything but now it is, thanks to PJ and Goran. He's getting into a nice groove offensively, too.

I'm very sick and tired of the Suns being a weak sister defensively - the D'Antoni era was agony as far as I'm concerned. We are actually having some success on the defensive end so lets keep it going and build on it - the reason we are coming back from double digit deficits is that we are putting the clamps on the opponents and Telfair is usually on the floor when it happens.

Everyone in here believes that we need a 'superstar' to become a contender but I don't buy it - a team that defends well is usually not far out of contention. And once they get into the playoffs they gain an advantage because of the way the game is called. We need more in the frontcourt but guys like Ibaka and Faried or Larry Sanders are available where we are likely to be drafting or lurking elsewhere, as yet unrecognized - like Tucker.

Yes, it seems hopeless that our FO would actually conceive and execute such a plan for the team but as long as I'm wishing, I'll wish for that. Sheesh they're more likely to stumble on someone like that than they are on the next 'superstar'.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need that go to guy, did you watch the blazers game? No one wanted to be that guy, nor is anyone that guy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is MAYO that kind of guy?

He has the mindset to be that guy and that's a big part of the battle. I think he'd be a great addition for us but I don't see why Dallas would make him available.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It doesnt matter if he is or isnt. Dallas isnt going to trade their 20ppg starting SG for a backup point guard. Its like thinking "hmm... the Suns need a backup SG, lets trade Gortat for Roger Mason."

TruCard

Banned
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In my opinion, this Suns team should be better than what they are. There is no excuse for this team being a bunch of underachievers. This team is ten deep. Although we don't have a "superstar", we have some solid players from top to bottom. I don't think we have a championship team but I also don't think that this team should be where they are at right now. That is why I feel like we need a coaching change. This team looks lost on offense. There is zero chemistry. The only thing that I would consider being their problem is their new additions and not playing together enough. If this team can stay together and build some chemistry, maybe they will be fine.

About OJ Mayo, I like the kids game. I also like Shannon Brown's game. Mayo is a little more consistent than Brown. Is he a superstar? I don't think so.

We need more from Gortat. He is not getting many touches in the post. He should be the focal point of our offense. We have too much one on one offense with some pick and roll here and there. It just doesn't look well organized to me.

asudevil83

Reaction score
In my opinion, this Suns team should be better than what they are. There is no excuse for this team being a bunch of underachievers. This team is ten deep. Although we don't have a "superstar", we have some solid players from top to bottom. I don't think we have a championship team but I also don't think that this team should be where they are at right now. That is why I feel like we need a coaching change. This team looks lost on offense. There is zero chemistry. The only thing that I would consider being their problem is their new additions and not playing together enough. If this team can stay together and build some chemistry, maybe they will be fine.

About OJ Mayo, I like the kids game. I also like Shannon Brown's game. Mayo is a little more consistent than Brown. Is he a superstar? I don't think so.

We need more from Gortat. He is not getting many touches in the post. He should be the focal point of our offense. We have too much one on one offense with some pick and roll here and there. It just doesn't look well organized to me.

the problem with this team is that its made up of a bunch of role players....and Gentry has no idea who's going to be hot on a given night.

and in the NBA, to be a great team and to beat the great teams, you need to have at least two players go off on a particular night. this is the way i see it:

Superstars - 95% chance of going off
Stars - 75% chance of going off
Good Players - 50% chance of going off
Role Players - 10% chance of going off

and what i consider going off would be 20+points and 8+ boards/assists depending on position. We have maybe one "good player" (Dragic), and the rest are just role players. the odds say that your are, more often than not, going to have nobody go off. and therefore we lose. the team has talent, but its not consistent talent.

it sucks when we see guys like Brown or Scola go for 20+, then disappear for the next 8 games, and we say "why the hell cant we see this every night?" well, that's what these players do, and that's why they get payed role player monies. this team is FULL of guys who go off once and a while - Morris, Beasley, Brown, Scola, Dudley, Gortat, Dragic - and nobody who is a consistent scorer and go to guy.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's not. My response wasn't about acquiring mayo for that purpose.
But IF we did get him, he'd be that guy more so than anyone else on our roster. But its unlikely that we take mayo away from the mavs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although a bit off subject, DeMarcus Cousins has suspended indefinitely by the Kings. Anyone want to gamble on some major talent? Some team will if they fill they have the coach to control him.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Kings deal Cousins they'll at least want decent rebuilding assets, and I don't think the Suns are in a position to deal any.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I disagree as strongly as possible. We are "10 deep" its true, but our problem is we cant play 10 guys at once. Its a crap shoot from night to night which players will play well. And no matter what lineup we put out there virtually every team in the league will have at least 3 starters that are superior to ours.

I think we are overachieving at the moment. In terms of starting quality talent we are the worst team in basketball. If not for Gentry's juggling of lineups in games we would have half the wins we do.

And our paper this team should suck on offense. Thin on shooters, no true distributors, unathletic... the only guy on this team who has ever remotely resembled to consistent scorer in his career is Jermaine O'Neal, and that ship sailed nearly a decade ago.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree as strongly as possible. We are "10 deep" its true, but our problem is we cant play 10 guys at once. Its a crap shoot from night to night which players will play well. And no matter what lineup we put out there virtually every team in the league will have at least 3 starters that are superior to ours.

I think we are overachieving at the moment. In terms of starting quality talent we are the worst team in basketball. If not for Gentry's juggling of lineups in games we would have half the wins we do.

And our paper this team should suck on offense. Thin on shooters, no true distributors, unathletic... the only guy on this team who has ever remotely resembled to consistent scorer in his career is Jermaine O'Neal, and that ship sailed nearly a decade ago.

I'm right in between the two of you. If we go 10 deep (with our current version of 10 deep), you're right, we are a bad team. But I disagree with you about the overall level of talent. It's not about what we lack, it's what we're stuck with. Give us two average rotational players to replace Scola and Beasley and this is a +.500 club easy, IMO. We'd still have weaknesses but we'd be competitive most nights and good enough on defense to carry us to 45 wins a season. Not that winning 45 games should be a target but it's not a bad point to start from.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't think we have a championship team but I also don't think that this team should be where they are at right now. That is why I feel like we need a coaching change. This team looks lost on offense. There is zero chemistry. The only thing that I would consider being their problem is their new additions and not playing together enough. If this team can stay together and build some chemistry, maybe they will be fine.
Alvin Gentry was given Beasley as his go-to scorer and still kept the team hovering around .500.

Coaching change? Gentry was the one who had the guts to bench Beasley and the team immediately improved. He is part of what you added about the team staying together (except for Beasley) and building chemistry.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm right in between the two of you. If we go 10 deep (with our current version of 10 deep), you're right, we are a bad team. But I disagree with you about the overall level of talent. It's not about what we lack, it's what we're stuck with. Give us two average rotational players to replace Scola and Beasley and this is a +.500 club easy, IMO. We'd still have weaknesses but we'd be competitive most nights and good enough on defense to carry us to 45 wins a season. Not that winning 45 games should be a target but it's not a bad point to start from.

Steve

But where are we going to get 2 more quality players? And I also dont think playing a 7-8 man rotation is a good idea. We're forced to play a guy like Shannon Brown 30 minutes a game... and I mean forced, Gentry has no other option.

Even under ideal circumstances I dont see the consistent contributors that you need to play .500+ basketball. The early schedule has been easy and I think it has made the team look a bit better than they are.

I think we have 25 win talent, if Gentry keeps them hustling and playing hard we might push for 30. But with the difficulty of the upcoming schedule I expect the wheels to fly off. Between right now and March I think we will win about 5 games, and even so most of the Suns victories during that time frame will come as underdogs. The talent isnt there, its a murderous schedule that will largely be played on the road.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But where are we going to get 2 more quality players? And I also dont think playing a 7-8 man rotation is a good idea. We're forced to play a guy like Shannon Brown 30 minutes a game... and I mean forced, Gentry has no other option.

Even under ideal circumstances I dont see the consistent contributors that you need to play .500+ basketball. The early schedule has been easy and I think it has made the team look a bit better than they are.

I think we have 25 win talent, if Gentry keeps them hustling and playing hard we might push for 30. But with the difficulty of the upcoming schedule I expect the wheels to fly off. Between right now and March I think we will win about 5 games, and even so most of the Suns victories during that time frame will come as underdogs. The talent isnt there, its a murderous schedule that will largely be played on the road.

The early schedule has been very easy but IMO it will end up making us look worse than we really are. We played Scola and Beasley way too much during those easy games and as a result we're not sitting here with a 19 - 8 record. When we start losing games like last night and we start looking at our dismal record paired against our upcoming schedule, you're right, the wheels probably will come off.

I agree you need to play more than 7 guys, that's why I said replace Beasley and Scola with average rotational players. And I do mean average. If we had two more guys that were good enough to be the 2nd man off the bench for most teams, we'd be a pretty solid team. Not good enough to advance in the playoffs but solid nonetheless. We have most of the pieces needed for an excellent defensive team as long as Scola and Beasley stay off the court and that can win you a lot of games.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
I completely lost faith in Gentry a couple of years ago when Dragic was leading the second team, and having success on the defensive end. I thought Gentry had very little to do with it at the time - and the way he let the FO ruin it without a whimper confirmed it. No one will recall it but I predicted that Dragic would turn back to crap if Gentry made him be a conventional back up to Nash instead of being in charge of a relatively stable second unit. It was not a chance event either, as Alvin announced before the next season he was going to have a more integrated team instead of well defined second unit. He wasn't even smart enough to know a good idea when he tripped over it - to paraphrase Mark Twain.

He's not an abysmal coach nor as dismissive about defense as D'Antoni but his limit is recognizing that PJ Tucker can put the brakes on about anyone who is tearing it up on the perimeter. I think he's even missing that boat a good bit - for short stretches PJ could give lots of bigs fits inside, better than Marion could as Tucker relishes the contact Shawn shrank from. (There's part of the answer to some decent D at PF, when its most needed.)

Unless the team does much better over the upcoming tough sledding than we are anticipating I think Gentry is toast and may not last the season. The bad news is that the people selecting his successor are a virtual lock to screw it up big time.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alvin Gentry was given Beasley as his go-to scorer and still kept the team hovering around .500.

Coaching change? Gentry was the one who had the guts to bench Beasley and the team immediately improved. He is part of what you added about the team staying together (except for Beasley) and building chemistry.

This year might be Gentry's best coaching job ever. He has seemed a little better than average to me in the past, but he still has these guys playing hard.

There are alot of things about this team I would change before Gentry.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This year might be Gentry's best coaching job ever. He has seemed a little better than average to me in the past, but he still has these guys playing hard.

There are alot of things about this team I would change before Gentry.

And as soon as Alvin got the double-T for obvious fouls not being called against the Clippers, the Suns fell out of contention in the game by the end of the half. We'll see how they do without him for the rest of the game..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And as soon as Alvin got the double-T for obvious fouls not being called against the Clippers, the Suns fell out of contention in the game by the end of the half. We'll see how they do without him for the rest of the game..

See, now I think this is a little unfair. The refs are just doing their normal routine where they protect the home team.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
See, now I think this is a little unfair. The refs are just doing their normal routine where they protect the home team.

Steve
If the Clips can leave Sandy Eggo and be the home team in L.A. (and in the Staples Center), I guess they can be the home team in Phoenix, too. :D