Daily check-in

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by CQ, Jul 18, 2005.

1. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Best of luck, Zeno. You should really get a good stretching routine in there after you warm up a little. That will help those out of shape muscles a lot as you get going. I don't know if you've ever tried yoga, but it is much harder than it looks and can scale up as you progress.

You can do it!

2. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Believe me I stretch, I HAVE to, gone are the days where I could do any sort of exercise without any stretching.

My massage therapist suggested yoga to me recently. I haven't tried it yet, my local community center has Pil-Yo which I guess is a mix of Pilates & Yoga and I was considering trying that in the fall.

3. puckhead

We're the same age so I know exactly what you mean. I've had my share of back issues so I don't even get a choice about core strengthening. If I don't do it, every day, the pain is unbearable and I can't live normally.

Yoga is deceptively hard. People that practice regularly make it look easy, but it's definitely not. It's good to have someone guiding you as it's easy to cheat a pose and it's not really doing what you need it to. Once the instructor explains how it should really be done, you're like, ugggh! Now I see what you mean!

Take a look at the yoga pros around the room, you'll talk to them and find our they're all about 10-15 years older than they look. It's legit.

4. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

I agree with puckhead, mobility exercises are essential for us folks in our 40s. I try to push myself all day every day. When I reach for something low I do a quick balance on 1 leg or a quick squat all the way to the ground without letting my heals come off the ground. When I look for traffic before changing lanes I rotate my entire body as far as I can. Stuff like that adds up throughout the day and doesn't cost any time. I often look ridiculous, but I'm ok with that. :)

5. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

I am going to request one of those Vari-Desk's at work so I can stand at times throughout the day while I am working. I know standing isn't much but it beats sitting on my butt for hours a day. I don't share an office so that forces me to get up and walk so I can at least talk to people throughout the day.

I have been looking for a Yoga place near me, found a couple online but now I need to visit them to see if one trips my trigger. I know I could use help in the flexibility area in the worst way.

My first weigh in to check on my progress is Sunday, started the diet on Monday and exercise on Tuesday, not expecting a huge result but baby steps.

6. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

First weekly weigh in down 6.8 lbs. pretty happy with that

azmike74 and Linderbee like this.
  7. puckhead

When I brush my teeth I balance on one leg so that I have to engage my core while I'm bent over. I look like a ballerina that is frothing at the mouth.

Southpaw and Linderbee like this.
  8. puckhead

Boom! :clapping:

Zeno likes this.
  9. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Good Luck Zeno. I can totally relate to your story. I am now 54 and in the best shape I've been in for the past 25 years! I came to "that point" in life, where you are now, about 3 years ago. I'm a touch over 5'10" and three years ago, topped out on the scales at 230lbs!
    I am now routinely weighing in between 187 - 192. I adopted a fantastic program managed by a doctor, who was once a professional body-builder. He also is a friend. His program has transformed my life and thousands of others. If you're interested, you can learn more at www.fitfatherproject.com. It's cheap and loaded with a ton of great info... From food, to supplements, to training, sleep, etc... I sweat by the program!
    Oh, and I also started using a VariDesk at work and I love it!

Good luck buddy!

Zeno likes this.
  10. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Thanks! That program looks interesting I will have to look in to it more.

I just wish my lower back, left hip and knee didn't hurt so often, I wouldn't mind running again but it is too painful, I used to regularly do 10K's (not competitive but I still did sub 42 minutes consistently) and although it was many years ago I was no slouch running while in the Marine Corps. Right now I am just settling on jumping rope which I am only good at for a minute or so at a time right now.

I see my massage therapist tonight, I normally go every 2 weeks but haven't been there since before my Dad died back in July.

82CardsGrad likes this.
  11. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Had to give up running long distances... the impact on my lower back and knees just wasn't worth it. I still hike often. And I have learned to make the elliptical my friend - so much better on the knees!!
    There are a ton of training options in the program I referenced. I tend to rely on a mix of the elliptical, kettle bells and some free weights. Roughly once or twice a week I'll toss in a quick 2,000 meter rowing session as well...Along with hiking 2-3 times a month, eating right and drinking tons of water...It's had a terrific impact on my physical and mental well-being!

12. Bada0Bing

Nice! You're burning through your glycogen stores, which causes you to lose a bunch of water weight (and burning fat too of course). Don't get discouraged if your weight loss slows to 1-2 pounds per week. That's about as fast as your body can burn off fat.

13. Bada0Bing

Smart! I'm going to steal that. I brush my teeth with my right hand (I'm right-handed) and then I brush with my left. Took a long time but I'm almost as good with the left. I also switched my mouse to my left hand. I like to think it helps my left handed dribbling skills for hoops.

14. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

I expect the slow down, I knew the first week would be the most significant. I am hoping to be around 200 by the first of September--that is another 6 lbs. Doing my best to maintain a caloric deficit.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

Inappropriate and not exactly germaine ( spellcheck rejected this word :?:) but I just wanted to post this pic

[​IMG]