Daily check-in

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
Great job.

I have heart disease myself and am curious about the no oil, nuts or avocado part of this diet. I thought some oils were ok, and I have eaten a ton of avocados since having my heart issues for the "good cholesterol". On the nuts, that's one of the few ways I can get protein since I don't eat meat or dairy. Does Dr. Eddelstyn give an explanation on those points?
Yes. Essentially he developed the diet by studying parts of the world where heart disease is almost non-existent. I Youtubed a bunch of his speaking engagements where he takes audience questions. This is the number one question by far. He reiterates he studied those areas, and nuts are not part of the diets of the people who do not have heart disease. Also, studying cholesterol numbers, and fats in general, he is clearly in the no fats allowed camp. There hasn't been a study showing the benefits of nuts, that he feels is not biases, ie, sponsored by the nut industry, that shows nuts don't contribute or help to get rid of heart disease. He says he is open to a study that is not biased that proves him wrong. Oh and after watching these videos, he advocates no caffeine.

One of the tests he uses tests for nitrous oxide in your blood. So harmful foods reduce/eliminate nitrous oxide in your blood, which is used to keep plaques from forming in your arteries and veins. He claims after testing people who ingest nuts, that tests show it interferes with nitrous oxide production. I am wondering if this is due to saturated fats in nuts, but I don't think they know how each food reacts at the molecular level all that well yet. I read breakthroughs on nutrition almost weekly now.

So, I am bummed too since I see vegan cheeses and other alternatives that are nut based that would greatly help my diet. The avocados would be a plus, too. On top of it all, I have celiac disease and have to eat gluten free. So my diet was restricted before this. I already could almost not eat out, or socially as it was. Now throw these restrictions in, and geez!!!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Eating to lose fat and build muscle at the same time is a challenge, not impossible but not easy. Diet is the hardest part of my whole getting back in to shape routine. Lots of protein, very little sugar, less processed foods. I like to cook so that makes it a little easier to avoid some of those things. I don't count calories really but I try to watch my portions and make sure I get a good source of protein every meal. I am not much of an alcohol drinker and never was one for lots of sugary drinks so at least I didn't have to change that part of my diet.

Since I like different kinds of meat I decided to start a subscription with Butcher Box, all grass fed beef, organic chicken, wild caught fish, I got my first delivery yesterday (since I was a new subscriber I get bacon with every shipment as long as I am a member and I got 7 lbs of extra meat as a bonus).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eating to lose fat and build muscle at the same time is a challenge, not impossible but not easy. Diet is the hardest part of my whole getting back in to shape routine. Lots of protein, very little sugar, less processed foods. I like to cook so that makes it a little easier to avoid some of those things. I don't count calories really but I try to watch my portions and make sure I get a good source of protein every meal. I am not much of an alcohol drinker and never was one for lots of sugary drinks so at least I didn't have to change that part of my diet.

Since I like different kinds of meat I decided to start a subscription with Butcher Box, all grass fed beef, organic chicken, wild caught fish, I got my first delivery yesterday (since I was a new subscriber I get bacon with every shipment as long as I am a member and I got 7 lbs of extra meat as a bonus).

I've had my eye on Butcher Box. I'm looking forward to your review! :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I've had my eye on Butcher Box. I'm looking forward to your review! :)

My first order was 4 6oz Flat Iron steaks, 2 10oz Ribeye steaks, 2 16oz portions of stew meat, 2 lbs of Salmon, 3.5 lb Pork butt, 3 1.67 lb packs of chicken drumsticks...then I got 2 more ribeyes, 5 more lbs of drum sticks, 6 5oz burger patties and 10oz of bacon as free add-ons.

I will be cooking the ribeye tonight. I will probably smoke the pork butt this weekend.

jbjarko

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My first order was 4 6oz Flat Iron steaks, 2 10oz Ribeye steaks, 2 16oz portions of stew meat, 2 lbs of Salmon, 3.5 lb Pork butt, 3 1.67 lb packs of chicken drumsticks...then I got 2 more ribeyes, 5 more lbs of drum sticks, 6 5oz burger patties and 10oz of bacon as free add-ons.

I will be cooking the ribeye tonight. I will probably smoke the pork butt this weekend.

Does the meat look to be pretty good quality? Interested in your review :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Does the meat look to be pretty good quality? Interested in your review :)

It does, pretty good marbling on the steaks, nice color on the salmon.

So far just had 1 ribeye, didn't do anything special, cooked in a cast iron pan, good flavor. Not sure if someone put grass fed and regular steaks in front of me if I'd be able to tell the difference to be honest.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Nice! I've been getting butcher box for years. At this point I get free wings, bacon, drumsticks and hamburger in every box. This is the best quality meat you can get. Grass fed grass finished.

It does, pretty good marbling on the steaks, nice color on the salmon.

So far just had 1 ribeye, didn't do anything special, cooked in a cast iron pan, good flavor. Not sure if someone put grass fed and regular steaks in front of me if I'd be able to tell the difference to be honest.

Probably; however, your body definitely will tell the difference. This is real meat like nature intended, as opposed to the crap that most places try to pass off as meat. My only gripe is that they don't sell organ meats. I have to buy those somewhere else.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a tribute workout to honor Juneteenth! This was after a morning Oly session and two games of Mushball!

I'm spent!

6 Rounds with a partner
19 Double Pushup Burpees
18 Pull Ups
65 Jumping Lunges
400 meter run each
You must be registered for see images attach

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Did a tribute workout to honor Juneteenth! This was after a morning Oly session and two games of Mushball!

I'm spent!

6 Rounds with a partner
19 Double Pushup Burpees
18 Pull Ups
65 Jumping Lunges
400 meter run each

That's some serious HR work!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd like to get my weight down to under 190 (I am am like 202 right now--6' tall) but more importantly I'd like to just get back in to decent shape--maybe turning 50 this year is an extra motivation or a wake up call. I got down to the 185 range a few years ago when I was really working on it--unfortunately I fell off the wagon fitness-wise.

I posted that on May 6, I am down to 188 as of July 30th. Working out, yoga, walks, watching what I eat has worked. Working out has actually become a habit for me now, I now feel weird on rest days when I don't go to the gym.

According to my scale I've dropped about 7% of body fat too, I'd like to drop that down another 4-5% and increase my muscle mass.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
So I am down 45 pounds since beginning of April. Learning more about Veganism, and I was already gluten free due to celiac disease. I found a couple channels on Youtube that are life changing. One is Well Your World that a corny couple from Phoenix do recipes and how to make being a vegan, and no sugar, salt, or oil, (sos) cooking can help you drop weight. I am following constraints from Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. I have never dropped weight so fast, and I am NOT working out.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After gaining a good amount of muscle last winter, I've been working hard to cut fat with out losing the muscle!! It appears to be working!

According thr norms, I am 10lbs over weight!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After gaining a good amount of muscle last winter, I've been working hard to cut fat with out losing the muscle!! It appears to be working!

Good job…. Look good for a little guy :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Those bodyweight charts are ridiculous.

According to this I am overweight as well
Ideal Overweight Obese
6 ft
(72 in)
140–177 lb184–213 lb221–287 lb294–397 lb

I don't ever want to be under 180 lbs I think that is too skinny, 6'0 and 140? That is a rail!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those bodyweight charts are ridiculous.

According to this I am overweight as well
Ideal Overweight Obese
6 ft
(72 in)
140–177 lb184–213 lb221–287 lb294–397 lb

I don't ever want to be under 180 lbs I think that is too skinny, 6'0 and 140? That is a rail!
They are plain silly! I'm 13% body fat, but over weight. So silly!

Ronin

Mendozaaaaaa
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Today is bicep day. My nephew is my trainer so I have no idea what exercises he has in store today for me

jf-08

Administrator; Rules Creator
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today is bicep day. My nephew is my trainer so I have no idea what exercises he has in store today for me
Just a suggestion...work both of them out.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Down to 191 pounds, attributable to riding my bike to work this Summer. Got a good cholesterol report too, way better than before my heart issues, due to eating vegan (with a fish oil supplement exception per doctor's rec., 4,000 mg of fish oil per day)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SECTION 12