Cust traded AGAIN

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
All the specualtion I've read is that Cust will go back to AAA once again. The Orioles have enough DH types on their roster that they won't need Cust around.

I've always felt that Cust has been overrated ever since I got a chance to see him play in person. With the market for DHs plunging this offseason where Fulmer only got a 1yr/$1 million deal, Cust is finally exposed in this trade for what his true value is worth....a run of the mill journeyman OFer with a bit of pop in his bat.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek in Tucson
All the specualtion I've read is that Cust will go back to AAA once again. The Orioles have enough DH types on their roster that they won't need Cust around.

I've always felt that Cust has been overrated ever since I got a chance to see him play in person. With the market for DHs plunging this offseason where Fulmer only got a 1yr/$1 million deal, Cust is finally exposed in this trade for what his true value is worth....a run of the mill journeyman OFer with a bit of pop in his bat.

He reminds me of Rob Deer, Mickey Tettleton or Pete Incaviglia, guys who will strike out 3 out of 4 times but will hit a homer for you in regular intervals

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
He reminds me of Rob Deer, Mickey Tettleton or Pete Incaviglia, guys who will strike out 3 out of 4 times but will hit a homer for you in regular intervals

It's unfair to compare Deer and Tettleton to Inky and really it's unfair to compare Tettleton to Deer.

Mickey Tettleton was a catcher with an OPS 11% better than league average and he didn't play bad defense. He might have struck out 3 outta 4 times but he'd have 2-3 BBs on top of that. If you don't consider his BB you don't fully credit his ability. Tettleton was definately Mr. "3-true outcome".

Those early 90's DET teams with Tettleton, Deer and Inky playing on them were 1st or 2nd in the league several times in Runs Scored. So it must have worked somehow.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
Those early 90's DET teams with Tettleton, Deer and Inky playing on them were 1st or 2nd in the league several times in Runs Scored. So it must have worked somehow.
Well actually, Pete Incaviglia was only with Detroit in 1991. He was with Houston in 1992 and then Philly from 93-95.

Actually it was a pretty accurate description of Incaviglia, who I really enjoyed as a Phillie. He hit 24 home runs in 368 at bats in 1993 and managed to strike out 89 teams. He was feast or famine, but an excellent part of the '93 pennant winning team and he played a mean platoon in the outfield with Jim Eisenreich.