Credit score question

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Signing the lease on a new apartment they made copies of our credit checks for us, my score was 817, my girlfriends is 822. When I bought my car in 2003 I am damn near positive they told me my score was 830. On my printout the negative marks include one that says too many recent transactions(forget the exact wording). If I'm understanding correctly, did my score go down 13 points solely because I took out a car loan in 2003? Nothing else has changed, don't carry credit card balance, no real difference but that car loan, which is paid on time and in fact I typically pay more than required.

I guess I didn't realize ANY loan was considered somewhat negative even if you're paying it off as intended?

My girlfriend had a negative mark that said balances were too high, her credit card had a $105 current balance but like me she pays it off every month so the amount is really irrelevant, and 105 is pretty small?

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
BTW, a car loan from 3 years ago will not cause that. Chances are that the credit reporting agencies are scoring things differently now than they were back then, or it's just that your Auto score is higher than your FICO. Those are 2 different things....

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Sorry to post 3 times in a row, but I'm gonna start calling you "the guy who can only finance Aruba now instead of Seychelles because his credit dropped 13 points"....

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, a car loan from 3 years ago will not cause that. Chances are that the credit reporting agencies are scoring things differently now than they were back then, or it's just that your Auto score is higher than your FICO. Those are 2 different things....

That makes sense I knew there were more than one source for a score but it hadn't occurred to me they might be different.

I was mainly wondering if ANY loan automatically reduces your score it sounds like that's not the case?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Have you, or any other business entity, made requests for a full credit report? Full credit reports requests will adversely effect your rating as a recent transaction.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you, or any other business entity, made requests for a full credit report? Full credit reports requests will adversely effect your rating as a recent transaction.

I did one of those free credit report.com ones a few months ago when I was wondering about possibly trying to buy a house, but I didn't pay for the credit score portion just the free portion.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I did one of those free credit report.com ones a few months ago when I was wondering about possibly trying to buy a house, but I didn't pay for the credit score portion just the free portion.

Paid or free, if your credit report listed creditors and balances, it hit your score.

One of those things that the credit industry doesn't want you to know...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paid or free, if your credit report listed creditors and balances, it hit your score.

One of those things that the credit industry doesn't want you to know...

That is not true, I use transunions triple monitor that shows balances and creditors and i run it once a week since i am rebuilding my credit and it does not show up as a inquirey. And when I looked a detailed reports recently through all 3 to make sure the transunion one was acurate each one had a section of self run report. That can only be seen by me according to transunion, equifax and experian and does not effort your score.

Plus with as much as I run it my socres would not go up as they are at a great pace.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't 850 as high as you can get?

Yes I think that's the highest. I was actually surprised my girlfriend's score is higher than mine since I earn more, and she's had less history(Basically just a carloan and rent and credit cards) but we both pay have the same philosophy about paying balances every month and paying down loans as fast as we can.

Will come in handy when we go and try to get a house at some point.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
OK. I am missing your point then. If you have a 790, you either have several good accounts with no delinquencies ever or you have one good account for at least 6 months, thus you have a really shallow credit profile and you are unable to get into major purchases. Which are you?

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I am missing your point then. If you have a 790, you either have several good accounts with no delinquencies ever or you have one good account for at least 6 months, thus you have a really shallow credit profile and you are unable to get into major purchases. Which are you?

Dude, I am much older now. I was aying I dont think I have yet cracked the 800's because I started much later in life.

You realise most people have credit cards, rental history et al when they are 18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25. I didnt. How is this confusing to you?

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Are you perpetually mad? I was just responding to what I interpreted as a gripe in an effort to possibly offer you friendly advice on how to better your position, but nevermind. Trust me, I am not confused about credit - knowing it is my job....

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you perpetually mad? I was just responding to what I interpreted as a gripe in an effort to possibly offer you friendly advice on how to better your position, but nevermind. Trust me, I am not confused about credit - knowing it is my job....

I am today. I went on my second round interview yesterday and bombed. And I am known in the IT world here as a very good interview. I just wasnt on, the room was blistering hot. And I bombed. Good news is all 6 of us bombed, its a state job and I am a veteran which I think means I have to get an offer lol.

But I feel awful today and you are taking the brunt of it. Well the interview and your unwillingness to lose the civil war argument :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave