Credit Card Perks thread

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cards do you really like and what perks do you have?

I have AMEX Platinum, B of A Rewards Visa, Capital One Venture One Visa, and a Barclays American Airlines Aadvantage MC.

I put most everything on the Amex. It have great travel perks too. I get Global Entry for free, and CLEAR although I haven't set that up yet. Just booked a weekend in Coronado Island at the Del and got a smoking rate, free breakfasts, early check-in, late check out. They have up to $200 streaming credits, $15/month Uber / Uber Eats credits, and a whole bunch more that easily offset the $695 annual fee.

My Cap One I hardly use anymore since getting the AMEX. I book all of my flights with American with my MC and get things like early boarding, free checked baggage, in-flight entertainment, etc. My BofA I hardly use except for my kids sometimes use it for gas in their cars. It's easy for me to track and I get like 3% back on gas purchases.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are you on the Amex band wagon?

If so, get a Gold. 4x on Grocery and restaurants which is where I personally spend a lot of my money. I too have a Platinum but mainly pay the fee for the perks. I also have the Chase trifecta (Sapphire Reserve, Freedom Unlimited and Freedom) but generally invest all of my effort into Amex.

If you have multiple cards, download (and explore) The Points Guy (app). You can link all your accounts and based off of GPS location it can tell you which chard to use based on current rewards if you have a quarterly based card, and/or the rest of your cars.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm mainly using 3 cards. AmEx Blue Cash, Citi Costco, and Atlas charge card. I usually go for the cash options on cards since I don't do a ton of travel or the like.

AmEx Blue Cash - had been my go to for most purchases since it was giving better points than the Citi card.

Citi Costco - mainly have it just as my costco card. Really only gets used in store and for gas.

Atlas - main card I'm using now due to work. Gives 3x on your largest spend category each much (auto switches based on purchases). 5x on Blade, reimbursement for flight changes/cancels, yearly memberships with Clear, Priority Pass, Erwhon, and One Medical. Plus car rental and some other discounts like it.

Then it also has a feature called Supper Club that allows you to get reservations at the trendy, hard to get into restaurants (only NY, LA, and Miami right now). A similar feature is coming for luxury hotels and for air travel.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you on the Amex band wagon?

If so, get a Gold. 4x on Grocery and restaurants which is where I personally spend a lot of my money. I too have a Platinum but mainly pay the fee for the perks. I also have the Chase trifecta (Sapphire Reserve, Freedom Unlimited and Freedom) but generally invest all of my effort into Amex.

If you have multiple cards, download (and explore) The Points Guy (app). You can link all your accounts and based off of GPS location it can tell you which chard to use based on current rewards if you have a quarterly based card, and/or the rest of your cars.
Thanks for the info.

I also have a Target MC and I only use it at Target and get 5% off on all purchases there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zero credit cards since 2003. :cool:

I understand this philosophy and I have used it for many years.

I've always kept credit cards for an emergency but I have started to use them more and more to get cash back on purchases.

As long as a person can pay them off at the month, it amount to extra money in the pocket.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lots of protections. Not only for the dollar amount of the purchase, but insurance, warranty extensions, etc.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of protections. Not only for the dollar amount of the purchase, but insurance, warranty extensions, etc.
Yeah, the rental car insurance from AMEX is such a mind relaxer.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What cards do you really like and what perks do you have?

I have AMEX Platinum, B of A Rewards Visa, Capital One Venture One Visa, and a Barclays American Airlines Aadvantage MC.

I put most everything on the Amex. It have great travel perks too. I get Global Entry for free, and CLEAR although I haven't set that up yet. Just booked a weekend in Coronado Island at the Del and got a smoking rate, free breakfasts, early check-in, late check out. They have up to $200 streaming credits, $15/month Uber / Uber Eats credits, and a whole bunch more that easily offset the $695 annual fee.

My Cap One I hardly use anymore since getting the AMEX. I book all of my flights with American with my MC and get things like early boarding, free checked baggage, in-flight entertainment, etc. My BofA I hardly use except for my kids sometimes use it for gas in their cars. It's easy for me to track and I get like 3% back on gas purchases.
The Wall Street Journal had a thumbs up review of the Amex Platinum last year. I was tempted to get it, despite the stiff annual fee. https://www.wsj.com/buyside/persona...inum-card-american-express-review-01664555867

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose